• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Fantasy 15 & Brexit

124 posts in this topic

Totally understand...and if the global economy goes down in flames, honestly, there will be bigger things to worry about than the value of collections. I'd assume between your retirement fund and anything else that has value and tied to the economy, those would all take a larger hit in absolute dollars that the value loss in comics.

"Value" in today's world is impossible to determine due to today's current central bank policies of money printing world wide.

If deflationary forces take hold then some will "Liquidate liquidate liquidate" their assets into the money printing.

Stagflation will probably be the result.

I am merely reflecting on "value" of Amazing Fantasy 15 in this time period. And after a 10x run up in price in recent years, I am just reflecting on where this book goes from here.

After the inevitable crack up, life will go on.

I am certainly not suggesting MAd MAx.

First, the world economies were going to collapse when the US Federal Reserve raised its' rate by a quarter percent. Now, the world economies are going to collapse when the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union. What will be the next world event to drive the boy to cry wolf once again?

If someone truly believes any of this, then by all means they should sell their AF15s now, when they command record high prices. Is anyone really looking to do this?

Cue the personal attack...

First, the world economies were going to collapse when the US Federal Reserve raised its' rate by a quarter percent. Now, the world economies are going to collapse when the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union. What will be the next world event to drive the boy to cry wolf once again?

If someone truly believes any of this, then by all means they should sell their AF15s now, when they command record high prices. Is anyone really looking to do this?

Not to mention the spurious logic involved in taking broad, global macroeconomic trends and applying them to a niche market within a niche market. Things just don't seem to work that way. The last economic downturn had zero effect on my discretionary spending. The UK leaving the EU will have zero effect on my discretionary spending. I am hardly alone in this.

I thought u had me on ignore ? hm

Regardless, we both know that you have a view of the world that is different from mine. I hope that in and of itself isn't reason enough for you to constantly disparage my point of view.

If you wanna disagree with my opinion and thoughts, I have no problem with that but is it really necessary to mock me ? Seriously ?

Totally understand...and if the global economy goes down in flames, honestly, there will be bigger things to worry about than the value of collections. I'd assume between your retirement fund and anything else that has value and tied to the economy, those would all take a larger hit in absolute dollars that the value loss in comics.

Very well said.

Man, I wish now I hadn't sold my copy way too soon. :o

I believe you had a Showcase 22 7.5 which you let go around 2008? I'm sure that was a great price back then :) and you did well. I had so many strong offers for my SC22 WP in 2008....I almost let it go. I didn't let it go, because I knew finding another copy with bone white pages will be nearly impossible.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Yep, that's the one, a 7.5. Bought for a song from Heritage back when SA DC keys were dirt cheap, but marone, look at what this ish is fetching now.

Very well said.

It is true, but I would add that you need to take into account that less than 3% of Americans approaching retirement age have greater than $50K in their retirement savings ( USA Today )...

This means that there are likely people on this site who have >$10k tied-up in comics and to them a comic bubble bust could be far more impactful to their "retirement" than the stock market.

We often make the mistake of assuming that people are appropriately planning for the future or that they buy comics with disposable income post maximizing savings when the reality is that the opposite is true far more often.

Food for thought.

this thread is meaningless until the Dellicatessen arrives....

these dire predictions keep coming back to the comics market. One thing is 100% true: sooner or later they will be correct. And they only have to be right once -- Like the nuts on the street saying the world is ending.

It is true, but I would add that you need to take into account that less than 3% of Americans approaching retirement age have greater than $50K in their retirement savings ( USA Today )...

This means that there are likely people on this site who have >$10k tied-up in comics and to them a comic bubble bust could be far more impactful to their "retirement" than the stock market.

We often make the mistake of assuming that people are appropriately planning for the future or that they buy comics with disposable income post maximizing savings when the reality is that the opposite is true far more often.

Food for thought.

Really fair point, Speed. I would say if there are people that have decided to use discretionary spending on comics and decided that it would be their retirement, they would indeed be in trouble. Not because of the value per se, but because of how they have planned their financial futures (to your point). If so, the impact to their "retirement" is less so because of the downfall of comic values, but rather, because of their lack of financial planning. We buy comics because we love them, and sure, the value growth is a nice plus, but by no means should anyone be buying strictly comics for investment/retirement purposes. If you want to diversify your portfolio and part of that means fine art or other collectables, fine, but if someone has everything tied into one thing, I would seriously advise them to re-consider.

This comic world is what YOU make it. It can be a hobby, a business, or a mix of both. I always keep retirement funds and the hobby separate. I'm age 55 and that has paid off handsomely.

I can't control what happens tomorrow.

This comic world is what YOU make it. It can be a hobby, a business, or a mix of both. I always keep retirement funds and the hobby separate. I'm age 55 and that has paid off handsomely.

I can't control what happens tomorrow.

+1 Being diversified is a sound strategy. One portfolio can be diversified by having stocks, bonds, real estate, gold, fine art, fine art, vintage baseball cards etc.., and of course "funny books". Never put all your eggs in one basket.

I hear this argument often, The theory of supply side of AF 15 being too large, that demand will plunge and blah blah. I think this is beyond far fetched. If AF 15 was low supply like TEC 27 or Action 1, it would most certainly be priced near the same. If Tec 27 had the supply of AF 15, I think it would be priced like AF 15. Simply the reason it's still obtainable under 10k for entry is because supply is high on one the two most symbolic covers of all time.

It's fine to have your opnion for discussion but please follow your words by selling yours and put a date of this great comic crashing. If not it just seems you are trying to troll. I can predict the Dow hits 1,000,000 and be right if not having to put a date to the prediction. Think that's only appropriate if starting a thread about your prediction is to be more specific

I hear this argument often, The theory of supply side of AF 15 being too large, that demand will plunge and blah blah. I think this is beyond far fetched. If AF 15 was low supply like TEC 27 or Action 1, it would most certainly be priced near the same. If Tec 27 had the supply of AF 15, I think it would be priced like AF 15. Simply the reason it's still obtainable under 10k for entry is because supply is high on one the two most symbolic covers of all time.

It's fine to have your opnion for discussion but please follow your words by selling yours and put a date of this great comic crashing. If not it just seems you are trying to troll. I can predict the Dow hits 1,000,000 and be right if not having to put a date to the prediction. Think that's only appropriate if starting a thread about your prediction is to be more specific

Good post.

The statement that Amazing Fantasy #15 is not rare is ridiculous.

Every single piece of original art is rare. It's unique! Some of it is $10.

If something only has 5 copies, that's technically rare.

But if only 4 people want one... it's 100% owned by the people who want one.

Plus there's an extra copy that no one wants.

If something has 10,000 copies, it's not technically rare.

But if a million people want one... it's 1% owned by the people who want one.

99 out of 100 people who want it can't own it, no matter what the price is.

Rare is meaningless. Anything where demand is 100 times more than supply easily beats "rare".

The statement that Amazing Fantasy #15 is not rare is ridiculous.

Every single piece of original art is rare. It's unique! Some of it is $10.

If something only has 5 copies, that's technically rare.

But if only 4 people want one... it's 100% owned by the people who want one.

Plus there's an extra copy that no one wants.

If something has 10,000 copies, it's not technically rare.

But if a million people want one... it's 1% owned by the people who want one.

99 out of 100 people who want it can't own it, no matter what the price is.

Rare is meaningless. Anything where demand is 100 times more than supply easily beats "rare".

I agree, but we should make that argument with the golden age collectors, some people over there use the available supply of af15 as easily obtainable and one just needs "money" to purchase one

Edited by stcgc