• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A swoon worthy picture.

58 posts in this topic

About 3 years after this picture was taken, Action #1 was released. I wonder how many were printed, and how widely they were distributed? If you were in the right place, at the right time, you (or, rather, your granddad) could have bought it for a dime. And then, if he had the vision and foresight, and you were a very good boy, he could have saved it for YOU, his favorite grandson! And today you would be a millionaire. Or a collector that puts Nic Cage to shame.

Here's some questions for the experts:

Are there any legitimate pictures of Action #1 for sale on a newsstand?

What are the earliest comic books pictured for sale?

What is the most valuable vintage comic book shown for sale on a newsstand?

About 3 years after this picture was taken, Action #1 was released. I wonder how many were printed, and how widely they were distributed? If you were in the right place, at the right time, you (or, rather, your granddad) could have bought it for a dime. And then, if he had the vision and foresight, and you were a very good boy, he could have saved it for YOU, his favorite grandson! And today you would be a millionaire. Or a collector that puts Nic Cage to shame.

Here's some questions for the experts:

Are there any legitimate pictures of Action #1 for sale on a newsstand?

What are the earliest comic books pictured for sale?

What is the most valuable vintage comic book shown for sale on a newsstand?

I have not seen any legitimate newsstand pics of action 1 yet.

Here again is a really cool pic of a legendary early Los Angeles comic book store circa 1965.

How many key books can you spot?

cherokee_burt.jpg

Those are 1952 Topps Baseball boxes. Each box has 24 packs. Each of those boxes, in todays market, I think is around $300,000.00 each.

So it looks like each row is is on average 15 boxes....lets say there are 150 there total.

Thats 45,000,000.00 in cards on that table in todays market.

ouch.....45 mil....

Those are 1952 Topps Baseball boxes. Each box has 24 packs. Each of those boxes, in todays market, I think is around $300,000.00 each.

So it looks like each row is is on average 15 boxes....lets say there are 150 there total.

ouch.....45 mil....

The flaw in the logic is that if those were all available in today's market, their value would be nowhere near that. The scarcity aspect would be shot.

Imagine if you found a printer's shipping box of high grade Action 1s. Your best bet would be to tell nobody and release them slowly into the market over the course of decades.

ouch.....45 mil....

The flaw in the logic is that if those were all available in today's market, their value would be nowhere near that. The scarcity aspect would be shot.

Imagine if you found a printer's shipping box of high grade Action 1s. Your best bet would be to tell nobody and release them slowly into the market over the course of decades.

The story of Mr. Mint finding a case of 1952 Topps is a good read.

http://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/7813/pulp-non-fiction-famous-1952-topps-baseball-find

Photo of the Village Cigar Store in Forest Hill (in Toronto), early 1960s.

Funny books middle and bottom rack, on the right:

f1257_s1057_it0509_zps730ffrwz.jpg

Visible are Porky Pig #41 (Jul-Aug. '55) and Black Knight #3 (Sep. '55) so this photo likely dates from Summer of 1955.

Photo of the Village Cigar Store in Forest Hill (in Toronto), early 1960s.

Funny books middle and bottom rack, on the right:

f1257_s1057_it0509_zps730ffrwz.jpg

Visible are Porky Pig #41 (Jul-Aug. '55) and Black Knight #3 (Sep. '55) so this photo likely dates from Summer of 1955.

You're right. Just after posting this earlier I realized the date was off. Good eye spotting Porky Pig #41 and Black Knight #3.

Other books identified, so far:

Four Color Comics #636 - Chip 'n' Dale, July 1955

Four Color Comics #638 - Spike and Tyke, August 1955

Little Lulu #85, July 1955

97006_zpsd3hkarl0.jpg

22277_zpswnekaph6.jpg

264111_zpsahv3swyh.jpg

45943_zpsjpptronc.jpg

60824_zps56sgnrom.jpg

isn't this a hobby of nearmints ? the collecting of old comic book photos I mean ?

I used to have a page on my website where I posted them all for everyone to enjoy. Then I got a nasty cease and desist order from one of the copyright holders and a bill for $6000, so I took it down. :(