• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Batman v Superman Bonus Features Give a Look at the Full Justice League

The six "founding" members of the cinematic Justice League are featured together -- in much clearer detail than ever before -- in a new piece of concept art found on the Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice special features.

The film was released officially earlier today on streaming services, and for those who preordered the Ultimate Cut, they're also able to access bonus features including documentaries about the making of Batman v Superman as well as the rest of the DC Extended Universe, interviews with Geoff Johns, Zack Snyder, cast, and crew.

6mSj5Jc1.jpg

kGspEQD6.jpg

xVpnIiDD.jpg

WwSqlhJm.jpg

CmAY5YKVEAAxdP-.jpg

CmAZYBvVYAAwVEl.jpg

WwSqlhJm.jpg

I still don't understand why they have to make changes like this to a character.

Why make him goofy-looking? What purpose does that serve? How does that improve the film to make him look so much dumber than the comic version of the character?

Why do it?

Edited by Chip Cataldo

DIGITAL COPY of Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition has been posted today.

:whee:

I logged into VUDU.com and saw both the Theater Cut and Ultimate Cut were in my account.

i saw it on VUDU but can't rent it, i don't want to wait tell is released on Blu-ray.

i saw it on VUDU but can't rent it, i don't want to wait tell is released on Blu-ray.

Someone had given me a DIGITAL COPY certificate as a gift, so I have that and the Blu-Ray/DVD on the way.

I'm going to try and sneak in time to watch it today.

Someone had given me a DIGITAL COPY certificate as a gift, so I have that and the Blu-Ray/DVD on the way.

I'm going to try and sneak in time to watch it today.

nice

I watched the first 2+ hours on my commute to work this morning. I ended right at the "Martha" Scene.

Just a disclaimer I really liked the theatrical cut so take that as you will.

This movie is definitely better. It doesn't leave to assumptions anymore really.

The Africa scene is more thought out and shows Lex's guys burning people to show that superman did it. The pacing is much better and it doesnt hop around as much, They explained why superman couldnt see the bomb during the hearing. Overall just showed Lex had his hands way deeper into the lives of these people then originally thought.

Again didnt finish it but it was a better overall movie now.

I'm an hour into this, and all that choppiness in the editing is gone. The story flows so well, including revealing smartly and cleanly who is behind the turmoil.

Including the woman from the desert coming to America to testify against Superman burning the bodies. That was a nice touch to demonstrate the setup going on.

Why they decided to edit out some of these details is just sad. It makes the story more complete.

This movie is definitely better. It doesn't leave to assumptions anymore really.

The Africa scene is more thought out and shows Lex's guys burning people to show that superman did it. The pacing is much better and it doesnt hop around as much, They explained why superman couldnt see the bomb during the hearing. Overall just showed Lex had his hands way deeper into the lives of these people then originally thought.

I totally agree! Even during Bruce's dream sequence, you see more of...

the Parademons being part of the plan to trick him and his men - and it is really cool. You see them up close right before Bruce is taken down.

And with Batman branding criminals...

...you clearly find out Lex had his men encouraging killing these branded inmates so that photos could be sent to Clark Kent so as to encourage a fight. Which also makes it clear Lex figured out his identify long before now.

The Ultimate Cut was the film that should have hit theaters.

I'm an hour into this, and all that choppiness in the editing is gone. The story flows so well, including revealing smartly and cleanly who is behind the turmoil.

Including the woman from the desert coming to America to testify against Superman burning the bodies. That was a nice touch to demonstrate the setup going on.

Why they decided to edit out some of these details is just sad. It makes the story more complete.

the Parademons being part of the plan to trick him and his men - and it is really cool. You see them up close right before Bruce is taken down.

...you clearly find out Lex had his men encouraging killing these branded inmates so that photos could be sent to Clark Kent so as to encourage a fight. Which also makes it clear Lex figured out his identify long before now.

sounds like a better movie, but nobody is watching 3+ hour super hero movies in the theatre (though it might have been nice to do a special release or something).

Probably better to edit the -script better ahead of time or choose a different -script ahead of time. Rather than film everything and edit it all and put an incomplete product up as the tentpole for your universe.

sounds like a better movie, but nobody is watching 3+ hour super hero movies in the theatre (though it might have been nice to do a special release or something).

Probably better to edit the -script better ahead of time or choose a different -script ahead of time. Rather than film everything and edit it all and put an incomplete product up as the tentpole for your universe.

from what i have heard also is that you can clearly see why it got hit with the R rating.

That sounds like too much common sense for Hollywood.

My favorite scene overall in both versions was the Milleresque news reporting sequences of Supermans rescues beginning with the Juarez factory fire and ending with the flood as people on rooftops reached out to him. Favorite action scene was the short warehouse rescue with a little added brutality in the extended cut. The extended cut improved upon the theatrical release but not enough to erase my disappointment.

Not sure what you were desiring with this movie Charlie, but I just finished and think Warner Bros. really should have gone with The Ultimate Edition in the theaters. The completeness of the story - including the Steppenwolf scene - really made a huge difference when compared to the Theater Cut.

Now as far as this getting an R-Rating as a cut, the main thing I see different is the killing that goes on versus language or other graphic scenes. It's enough that I think the theaters would want to ensure kids didn't get freaked out. Being an Elseworld storyline, which also went with the darker theme, anything else could have come across as too dulled-down a presentation.

Theater Cut: 8.0-8.5/10.0

The Ultimate Cut: 9.0/10.0

My favorite scene overall in both versions was the Milleresque news reporting sequences of Supermans rescues beginning with the Juarez factory fire and ending with the flood as people on rooftops reached out to him. Favorite action scene was the short warehouse rescue with a little added brutality in the extended cut. The extended cut improved upon the theatrical release but not enough to erase my disappointment.

Not sure what you were desiring with this movie Charlie, but I just finished and think Warner Bros. really should have gone with The Ultimate Edition in the theaters. The completeness of the story - including the Steppenwolf scene - really made a huge difference when compared to the Theater Cut.

I agree they should have gone with this cut, it improved the movie overall. But my own issues with it are still present. I won't list them all as this movie has been bashed enough here. And while The Dark Knight remains on top I'll say Afflecks portrayal is easily my favorite.

:foryou:

FORBES.COM: 'Batman v Superman: Ultimate Edition' Expands Story And Wins Praise

I told you months ago that I believed Batman v Superman’s reputation would improve with hindsight, and that a director’s cut would win over a lot of haters. Well, that process got underway even faster than I expected when the Ultimate Edition got its one-night theatrical release last night and hit Digital-HD hours later. If nothing else, I hope those who spent months bashing Snyder and insisting he can’t tell stories and/or that he doesn’t develop characters, will remember this was Snyder’s original version of the film and there was in fact some expectation for a longer theatrical cut than we wound up getting.

Regarding tone, the Ultimate Edition changes a lot about the film, but one thing that remains is the overall somber, deconstructive nature of the story. If that bothered you, then (a) I can’t help wondering if you disliked pretty much every Batman movie since 1989 except the two Joel Schumacher movies, (b) I can’t help wondering if you dislike a lot of Batman comics and DC Comics in general over the last 40+ years, and most of all © I might strongly disagree with you about this film and about your preferences for tone etc in general, but I respect that it’s your opinion and personal preferences so you aren’t “wrong” for disliking somber deconstruction of (these?) characters. However, I’d hope that nobody makes the mistake of pretending this is the first somber, deconstructive superhero movie, or that there’s no validity to telling a somber, deconstructive superhero story about these characters — the latter being a claim I’ve seen outright asserted, particularly regarding Superman, and I feel that’s where the subjective preference of some viewers is overriding their sense of reason and leading them to insist only their personal preference is valid.

It’s also true that, despite being half an hour longer, somehow the film actually feels faster overall. The pacing is improved, for one thing, and I think that makes it flow by in a different way that reduces the sense of passing time. In addition, since it engages us more in the characters and unfolding mysteries, our more active participation likewise makes the time go by faster. So adding 30 minutes doesn’t really harm the viewing at all, and in fact makes it better.

The more positive reception for the Ultimate Edition should provide some added good buzz as we head toward the release of Suicide Squad in August, and it comes amid a flurry of positive buzz about Justice League in the aftermath of set visits that helped win over — even if only temporarily — some of the harshest critics of Batman v Superman. I’ll have more to say about all of this in the coming days and weeks, dear readers, including a full review of the extra features on the Blu-ray release of Batman v Superman: Ultimate Edition in July, so stay tuned!

It is odd that the added 30 minutes seems to make the movie feel less longer to sit through because it comfortably pulls it all together. That comment has come up from a few review sites, including that Collider panel review.

Saw the extended cut and it's much better than the theatrical release IMHO.

Had they gone with that instead there'd have been a lot less confusion and moaning.

There's still some stuff that Snyder needs to approach differently: like indiscriminately killing Jimmy Olsen and Mercy Graves in one movie. But I'll suck it up for the sake of realism.

I still think Eisenberg sucks as Luthor, but his motivation and his hand in various events was made much clearer.

What's Different About the Batman V Superman: Ultimate Edition

9uFUL6n.png

Last week, Warner Bros. released Batman V Superman: Ultimate Edition, an extended R-rated version of the 2016 superhero movie. Surprisingly, the Ultimate Edition is a much better version of the film, with a bunch of extra scenes that help make sense of the conflict (and its true source) at the heart of the film. So what all was added to Batman V Superman?

Lex Luthor Pulls the Strings

Luthor came off as an opportunist in the original cut, pushing the public's growing mistrust of Superman. However, the Ultimate Cut makes clear that Lex was pulling the strings all along.

Lex Has Daddy Issues

In the first scene, Luthor explains the history of the LexCorp name. Luthor's father named it after himself, but publicly claimed he named LexCorp for his son to help bring in investors. It's clear that Luthor holds a lot of resentment towards his father, but later in the film he takes Senator Finch to his father's study, which hasn't been touched since the elder Luthor "left". Like Superman and Batman, who both lost their fathers as well, Luthor's actions in Batman V Superman seemed influenced by his complicated relationship with his parents.

Superman Saves People

One of the biggest criticisms of Man of Steel was that Superman didn't do more to save people. Although Batman V Superman went out its way to show Superman's heroic side, the theatrical cut still showed him moping in the wreckage of the US Capitol after Luthor blew it up. However, the Ultimate Cut shows Superman pulling the injured out of the wreckage before flying away from the scene. Lois watches as he flies away, although other media members question why Superman fled so quickly.

The Aftermath

The Ultimate Edition also reveals Lex Luthor's final fate, with an extended scene between Batman and Lex Luthor. When Batman shows up to brand Luthor, Luthor gloats about escaping trial by using an insanity defense. Luthor also reveals he knows Batman's secret identity. However, Batman gets the last laugh by telling Luthor he's being transferred to Arkham Asylum in Gotham, which will allow Batman to keep a closer eye on the "insane" billionaire.