• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ted McKeever

22 posts in this topic

I was disappointed to read recently that Ted McKeever is retiring from comics.

I've always been a huge Ted McKeever fan, and wanted to post a small tribute. His line is like no other.

Please post any McKeever art you have, and any thoughts about his retirement. Thanks.

Man-Thing Pin-Up:

IMG_5769.JPG.6c2b98ec734181a0ad9c1fb881556ed9.JPG

Doctor Strange from Marvel Team-Up:

IMG_5773.JPG.43501eaf4b5eb40a2b01a459696296dc.JPG

This one is not Ted McKeever art, but the reason for buying it was at least 50% Ted Mckeever/Metropol. And it is basically Mike aping Ted.

Three corner covers for Eddy Current 1-3 short by Mike Mignola.

IMG_5777.JPG.33d854cbbe367a9fa18d8850dd80b816.JPG

Not OA, but to show that I have always supported Ted with my wallet - from my bookshelf.

IMG_5779.JPG.b6eb77d09097f43cebf2d27be4d883a5.JPG

Always loved Ted's stuff. Great artist and a really nice guy. Here's a few pieces I've gotten from him.

Jonah Hex:

jonahhex.mckeever.JPG

The Question:

question.mckeever.JPG

The Creeper:

creeper.mckeever.JPG

McKeever's work definitely stood out on a comic rack. Extremist, Doom Patrol, Metropol... his Batman: Nosferatu is still a favorite elseworlds Batman story of mine. Right in my wheelhouse.

Back when I still did it in the 90s, I remember I always had to stop and look at his covers whenever browsing boxes of back issues. Didn't matter what the title or company was, it was interesting.

It was clear his work wasn't built for mass consumption. He takes the shapes of a cartoonist but plays, with light and line in many fascinating ways, more akin to painters. Imagine someone with the stylistic drawing style of say Phil Hester, but applied to the board in a way that experimenters like Bill S. or Kent Williams, or Jason Alexander might explore. It's different in a field full of so much sameness. He has a real texture to his application.

There's a bit of the old and the new there that is uniquely Ted. The only other artist I can think of that one might equate his overall aesthetic to would be Teddy Kristiansen, and I know he's moved on to other things as well over the years. Maybe a bit of Eddie Campbell?

All guys who have always explored their own visions, and never tried to force themselves into a more commercial style or vein to stay relevant. I have great respect for that.

Actually I think that's Ted's art rep, Kasra. But I see what you mean.

McKeever's work definitely stood out on a comic rack. Extremist, Doom Patrol, Metropol... his Batman: Nosferatu is still a favorite elseworlds Batman story of mine. Right in my wheelhouse.

Back when I still did it in the 90s, I remember I always had to stop and look at his covers whenever browsing boxes of back issues. Didn't matter what the title or company was, it was interesting.

It was clear his work wasn't built for mass consumption. He takes the shapes of a cartoonist but plays, with light and line in many fascinating ways, more akin to painters. Imagine someone with the stylistic drawing style of say Phil Hester, but applied to the board in a way that experimenters like Bill S. or Kent Williams, or Jason Alexander might explore. It's different in a field full of so much sameness. He has a real texture to his application.

There's a bit of the old and the new there that is uniquely Ted. The only other artist I can think of that one might equate his overall aesthetic to would be Teddy Kristiansen, and I know he's moved on to other things as well over the years. Maybe a bit of Eddie Campbell?

All guys who have always explored their own visions, and never tried to force themselves into a more commercial style or vein to stay relevant. I have great respect for that.

Wow, that's some great writing. I couldn't have said it better.

Kasra reminded me of somebody and I just thought of it: Freddie Mercury!

Anybody else see it? Just me? :sorry:

I'm sure he loves strangers talking about his appearance on the CGC boards lol

Kasra is a good guy. We are acquaintances, barely that actually, but his good heart shines through.

Here is the commission Ted did for me with Kasra's facilitation.

mckeever-docstrangeCAF.jpg

Here is the groovy sketchbook that contains my commission and somes of the other images in this thread.

CmXIs-VWcAAiYud.jpgCmXIs9kWAAAYYlZ.jpg

And here is the original sketch Ted did in the front of the sketchbook.

CmXIs9mWIAEiVF5.jpg

I already had my dream commission, so I thought long and hard about a character that I had not seen Ted take a stab at and something that might come out interesting. I like it.