• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Video Game Collectors Thread: pickups, trades, WTBs, collection pics, etc.
1 1

218 posts in this topic

...especially the very early adopting Atari 2600 games were very difficult to find in the stores at that point in time. Finding them now in new sealed condition so many years later is something some folks are willing to pay a big premium for to re-live and experience those moments.

...let's hope so in this case. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-Game-Program-Cartridge-1981-Superman-CX2631-MIB-New-SEALED-/222087171843?hash=item33b56d4f03:g:tfYAAOSwUUdXEAwu

That's real sweet man!

Hi Everyone, As some of you may know I've been trying to learn more about the artists behind some of the classic images on 80s and 90s videogame boxes. When I started 8 years ago there was literally nothing on the internet. Through a lot of time and effort I was able to find information on some of these artists, and with director Rob McCallum and lots of other talented people, we are putting together a documentary to finally tell the story of this art and give these incredibly talented artists their long overdue credit. Please support our kickstarter! And, if you have ideas for the film, please feel free to share. Obviously only a few can be acted on. thanks in advance! Click here:

Whoa, coolness! I caught his NES-doc on Amazon recently... good stuff! :takeit:

Thanks for the link! (thumbs u

thx for the support!

...especially the very early adopting Atari 2600 games were very difficult to find in the stores at that point in time. Finding them now in new sealed condition so many years later is something some folks are willing to pay a big premium for to re-live and experience those moments.

...let's hope so in this case. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-Game-Program-Cartridge-1981-Superman-CX2631-MIB-New-SEALED-/222087171843?hash=item33b56d4f03:g:tfYAAOSwUUdXEAwu

You may have the jackpot on your hands. There were from memory 5 versions of this game. The re-issue or newest version came in the grey box similar to Ms. Pac-Man types and is very very common.

There was also a blue box and a red box version with a long special edition swoop like logo on the bottom right corner but this is also very common. And another red box with a special offer in the bottom right corner in yellow for a Supes wallet. Then there were two other versions. One is uber hard to find and impossible in MISB case fresh condition.

I can not recall off hand if its the all red box back or the half one on the back side. I don't see any pics of the back in the listing. Can you let me know which it is or post the pic here and I might have to throw in a thrill bid myself. If the back and sides are as crisp as the front you have a super strong VGA 85 candidate on your hands.

You may have the jackpot on your hands. There were from memory 5 versions of this game. The re-issue or newest version came in the grey box similar to Ms. Pac-Man types and is very very common.

There are more than 5 versions. I only had 4 of the ones released.

supermen.jpg

There was also a blue box...

Sears release. VERY tough to find. I had a line on a CIB one for $750 but then I stopped collecting and had to sell everything.

...and a red box version with a long special edition swoop like logo on the bottom right corner but this is also very common.

This was the first release of the game in 1978. Same situation with Video Chess and a few others.

And another red box with a special offer in the bottom right corner in yellow for a Supes wallet...

Could never find a sealed/shrinkwrapped one, but I have seen a picture of it.

I can not recall off hand if its the all red box back or the half one on the back side. I don't see any pics of the back in the listing. Can you let me know which it is or post the pic here and I might have to throw in a thrill bid myself. If the back and sides are as crisp as the front you have a super strong VGA 85 candidate on your hands.

It's the white warranty box version. The all-red back is the really tough one. I've never seen one.

Removing my original question.

Anyone with a PS4 have some game recommendations? Several interest me, but I am not sure where to go next. I dont play a ton and like to dig into a game, one at a time. i am wrapping up Fallout 4. Witcher 3 interested me, but not sure another slog is right. Ditto MGS5. Uncharted 4 will be a day one buy. Any other quick bite games like that -- short, fun, straight forward?

Edited by yecul

OK, need some input from you video game experts here on the boards. Selling my collection, getting ready to post it as a lot on e-Bay.

Thoughts on the ballpark $$$ you think I might be able to get for this collection?

Highlights include:

- 1x CIB NES system

- 2x NES systems

- 1x SNES system

- 1x Sega Genesis system

- 1x NES Retro-bit top loading system

- Over 40 CIB games, including Zelda, Zelda II, Final Fantasy, Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Super Punch-Out, Kid Icarus, Contra, Metroid, Ghosts N' Goblins, SM3, Baseball Stars II, etc. The Zeldas, Final Fantasy boxes are beautiful!

- Great runs of carts: Mega Man 1-6, Zelda 1-2, Mario 1-3, Double Dragon 1-3, Ninja Gaiden 1-3

- Tons of the classics (loose carts): about 80

- Total games =130

- Other misc. items: game sleeves, game genies, posters, misc. instruction manuals, etc.

27274968503_87de869b85_n.jpg27887300835_583c1e36df_n.jpg27810614631_8eda032a77_n.jpg

27887301705_31d7ec8cb1_n.jpg27852573846_7699b4d0d0_n.jpg27274971943_fe5443f606_n.jpg

27274966543_e229b93a91_n.jpg27810614741_09887f5717_n.jpg27852577896_034102bb7f_n.jpg

27274973903_65b8d9788b_n.jpg27887309875_23064108aa_n.jpg27887294135_28691fc853_n.jpg

27887307875_6f0fe6c6bc_n.jpg27810618281_8da7d93f21_n.jpg27609294080_802c656121_n.jpg

Excellent collection :)

Just throwing this out there.... a guy at work was going to sell me his original NES with 80 games for $300. Two controllers and light gun. Granted they weren't in the box still, but everything was working.

I've seen NES consoles with one controller go for around $80, usually haggled down to $60. $20 a game is usually standard.

That's a big package, and there are a lot of guys that would probably want to snap it up. The retcon aren't going to get you much, they may look at it as extra shipping weight.

I wish I could buy that collection. There's more profit to be made if you piece it out.

Think so? Break out by game system?

I would definitely piece it out as well Aggiez. I'd list game by game, and system by system. Unless you're just looking to move it quick. You'll get far more action on individual listings for those who are after really nice CIB games they want like Zelda, rather than a large amount of items they most likely already have.

I would definitely piece it out as well Aggiez. I'd list game by game, and system by system.

This is what I was talking about. It's almost a given as far as profit (no matter what you collect) that buying a collection and then piecing it out will get you more cash.

What are everyone's thoughts on the high end market long term for video games (and paraphernalia)?

I'd think the video game market is only going to grow over time, and big-ticket items are only going to occur more frequently. But right now, ebay seems to be the only major outlet that I know of. When do you think the larger auction houses will take notice?

Personally, I'd love to see Heritage take up video games with a monthly or weekly auction.

Edited by lobstrosity

What are everyone's thoughts on the high end market long term for video games (and paraphernalia)?

I'd think the video game market is only going to grow over time, and big-ticket items are only going to occur more frequently. But right now, ebay seems to be the only major outlet that I know of. When do you think the larger auction houses will take notice?

Personally, I'd love to see Heritage take up video games with a monthly or weekly auction.

It probably will now that I've sold a lot of my NES games lol

Speaking of which, I sold a copy of Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball (NES) for $65. It was gifted to me a long time ago and I hardly ever played the game. What's the interest?

I think the market prospects are good, the market shifts and changes as comics have as well but when I look back high end items were a couple hundred bucks when I started in 2002 and ten grand now.

I don't think its anywhere near big enough for heritage to bother yet. Maybe something clink-like at best, and even that would have to be put on by somebody new willing to invest some time up front in order to be the first movers.

It probably will now that I've sold a lot of my NES games lol

Speaking of which, I sold a copy of Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball (NES) for $65. It was gifted to me a long time ago and I hardly ever played the game. What's the interest?

Its a pretty scarce game and at the time was a little different twist that a few people remember. That's about it.

Terrific box art on that title too but that's another story.