• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phantom Lady 17 vs. 23
1 1

Phantom Lady 17 or 23  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Phantom Lady 17 or 23

93 posts in this topic

PL # 17 for me also. I'm biased though .I own one. I don't like the way her hands are drawn though. # 23 is a beauty . don't own one , yet. All of the PH's have stunning covers .

The cover to PL #17 is definitely Matt Baker. In this Matt Baker story, the wild hair on the splash page & pose on the panel are almost identical to the PL #17 cover!

alltopA_zpswdlrbgsy.jpg

alltopB_zpswemifvn0.jpg

Photo%20Jan%2022%201%2039%2030%20PM_zps6rgsis6e.jpg

Of course it's Baker.

I don't understand ppl saying otherwise.

It might be based on a baker panel but that's different than being baker. To me it very much looks like a feldstein recreation of the baker panel.

Look at the way baker draws her in the panel... small, lithe, more of a ballet dancer's body.

The feldstein cover is all stripper.

There are other things to point to as well but IMO all you have to do is compare the physique of the girl in the panel vs the physique of the girl on the cover. Forget the hands and whatever else. Just look at the way the respective artists have "built" PL .

Heck at the risk of being crass just look at the chest. There's no way the same artist did those two chests for the same character. One is realistic, B cups. The other is all va va voom E cups. To me the way the chest is rendered is much more similar to feldsteinssunny and junior covers than bakers south sea girl, etc. The legs are the same story. One is realistic one exaggerated. Baker just didn't exaggerate like that; Feldstein did.

Of course it's Baker.

It might be based on a baker panel but that's different than being baker. To me it very much looks like a feldstein recreation of the baker panel.

Look at the way baker draws her in the panel... small, lithe, more of a ballet dancer's body.

Beyond that if you look at the the way the shadows are applied around the chest with the strong hatching that's all feldstein too and very much similar to the way feldstein drew that in his other good girl covers. Baker never did that.

There are other things to point to as well but IMO all you have to do is compare the physique of the girl in the panel vs the physique of the girl on the cover. Forget the hands and whatever else. Just look at the way the respective artists have "built" PL

Feldstein, Kamen and Baker all worked for the Iger shop where the emphasis was on production, with many hands involved even in a single panel. There was no penalty for imitating/swiping, in fact it would have been encouraged to maintain consistency and productivity. All these factors make it more difficult to determine the creators and their respective contributions to any specific panel/cover.

PL 17 is at least Baker-inspired and it's possible that Baker did a little bit of work, but the most likely scenario is that Feldstein was the primary artist executing the cover.

Notice also the way the costume has been redrawn.

It has been but it's also similar to the PL 13 cover costume.

The face never seemed very Bakerish to me. His females usually have a broad face with emphasis on the cheekbone.

Of course it's Baker.

Beyond that if you look at the the way the shadows are applied around the chest with the strong hatching that's all feldstein too and very much similar to the way feldstein drew that in his other good girl covers. Baker never did that.

There are other things to point to as well but IMO all you have to do is compare the physique of the girl in the panel vs the physique of the girl on the cover. Forget the hands and whatever else. Just look at the way the respective artists have "built" PL

Feldstein, Kamen and Baker all worked for the Iger shop where the emphasis was on production, with many hands involved even in a single panel. There was no penalty for imitating/swiping, in fact it would have been encouraged to maintain consistency and productivity. All these factors make it more difficult to determine the creators and their respective contributions to any specific panel/cover.

PL 17 is at least Baker-inspired and it's possible that Baker did a little bit of work, but the most likely scenario is that Feldstein was the primary artist executing the cover.

agree 100%

Notice also the way the costume has been redrawn.

It has been but it's also similar to the PL 13 cover costume.

The face never seemed very Bakerish to me. His females usually have a broad face with emphasis on the cheekbone.

hmm interesting point

How could people look at the 17 interior panel and the 17 cover and think they are drawn by the same artist? They're not even close! The face on the 17 cover looks amateurish compared to the interior panel which is pure Baker.

One can like the cover or the panel for different reasons but I agree, they are not even close to looking like they are by the same artist

:bump:

Didn't see this thread when it was started. My vote goes for No. 17 hands down. Also, if the cover was a Baker / Feldstein collaboration, then it becomes even more appealing, since Feldstein Junior covers are out of this world, especially 13 to 16. I agree with other posters that 17 is the sexier cover, and I also like the fact that she's not as helpless as in #23. The PL looking at the reader aspect is also very appealing to me, which is why I've always loved the Jo-Jo #11 and Jungle Comics #85 covers so much.

New to the boards, so forgive me as I revive ancient threads that interest me....(hope that's not too big a party foul around here).  Anyhow,  I'll vote for Plantom Lady 17 over 23.  The pose on 17 is a bit more artificial, but you can't beat 17 for straight up sexy, and when you factor in the historical significance for it's relation to SOTI I that seals the deal for me.  For those interested in debating whether PL 17 or any of the Fox PL covers were Matt Baker or not, Jim Vadeboncoeur makes a pretty compelling case in his forward to the Roy Thomas presents PL anthology vol. 2, that none of the Fox PL covers, and very little of the interiors, were done in full by Baker.

Whether or not they are true Baker covers, or were just penciled by Baker and inked over with bigger boobs by other Iger shop artists doesn't really diminish their coolness/value to me anyway.  PL 13 is my favorite as this was the book that really took me out of my silver age only mindset.  The creepy yellow hand is awesome, it really gives it a spectral feel, and I like the creative cover ripping off the front effect.   While I try not to be to snobby about it, and its all relative to the beholder,  I just think these covers have so  much more technical quality than the Wonder Womans, and Action comics, etc. of the era.  PL 13 is the book that got me into GA comics.

9 hours ago, marmat said:

I used to have a PL 17, now is the book I miss the most.

There's a CGC 7.0 pink page copy up for auction on comiclink end of August it looks like if you're dying to get one again. Also I like #20 a lot for the record, that's my 3rd favorite one behind 13 and 17.

2 minutes ago, szavisca said:

There's a CGC 7.0 pink page copy up for auction on comiclink end of August it looks like if you're dying to get one again. Also I like #20 a lot for the record, that's my 3rd favorite one behind 13 and 17.

Interesting. No 18 is my favourite!

11 hours ago, szavisca said:

My copy was around 2.0, I wish I could buy this CGC 7.0