• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near six figure MTG art sales

619 posts in this topic

What exactly is a "Romita"?

Card Name:

John Romita Sr.

Mana Cost:

Green Green Colorless

Converted Mana Cost:

Types:

Creature — Artist

Card Text:

Romita gets +3/+3 and trample as long as he works on spiderman.

Flavor Text:

"Oh the Butthurt."

P/T:

2 / 3

Expansion:

Eternal Masters (Common) Eternal Masters

Rarity:

Common

All Sets:

Revised Edition (Common)Ninth Edition (Uncommon)Arabian Nights (Common)Beatdown Box Set (Common)Duel Decks: Ajani vs. Nicol Bolas (Uncommon)From the Vault: Exiled (Mythic Rare)Eternal Masters (Common)

Card Number:

Artist:

John Romita Jr.

What exactly is a "Romita"?

Card Name:

John Romita Sr.

Mana Cost:

Green Green Colorless

Converted Mana Cost:

Types:

Creature — Artist

Card Text:

Romita gets +3/+3 and trample as long as he works on spiderman.

Flavor Text:

"Oh the Butthurt."

P/T:

2 / 3

Expansion:

Eternal Masters (Common) Eternal Masters

Rarity:

Common

All Sets:

Revised Edition (Common)Ninth Edition (Uncommon)Arabian Nights (Common)Beatdown Box Set (Common)Duel Decks: Ajani vs. Nicol Bolas (Uncommon)From the Vault: Exiled (Mythic Rare)Eternal Masters (Common)

Card Number:

Artist:

John Romita Jr.

And I thought I had too much time on my hands.... :baiting:

Funny, I think! I don't know what 90% of that means but, yeah.

Where's the Boris card stats tho?

Something like Baby Oil Flood

I have Julie and Boris paintings and that is one of the detract ion I find in their art. There is a lot of shine and light reflection in places where there probably should not be especially on costumes. Although on of my gripes with Alex Ross is an over abundance of colors of light being cast over characters especially where there doesn't exactly seem to be a source for it and the colors are ones that's stand out like green and pink.

I may have noted before I know very little about the FMV of MTG original art, but what the heck is this? Madness? Weird selling tactic? Seller has no idea of FMV himself and doesn't want to risk a no-reserve auction?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTG-Magic-Original-Magic-Art-Alpha-Blessing-by-Julie-Baroh-/182189294076?hash=item2a6b5401fc:g:tI0AAOSwOVpXdF5K

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTG-Magic-7th-Edition-City-of-Brass-Original-Art-by-Ron-Walotsky-/182189298372?hash=item2a6b5412c4:i:182189298372

I hope to heck that's a typo and supposed to be 35k not 350k. Blessing is a weak card, the value there is that is from the original set. 35k would be a great price IMO.

If its supposed to be 350, well, that's true seller silliness.

I just noticed the second link (7th edition city of brass for 250k).

Yeah, the seller is high. I wonder if the city of brass is even worth 15.

Probably just gawker prices meant to attract attention to other listings. He probably doesn't want to actually sell them.

I may have noted before I know very little about the FMV of MTG original art, but what the heck is this? Madness? Weird selling tactic? Seller has no idea of FMV himself and doesn't want to risk a no-reserve auction?

Just a fishing expedition, not worth expending any mental energy on it. Nothing we haven't seen before with other eBay sellers as well (e.g., "preduction").

Countdown to one or more Cabal members contacting Shkreli about getting into original art...10...9...8...wait for it...

found the passage you were talking about

[–]davidcrown 8 points 16 hours ago

how much are you willign to spend?

permalinkembed

[–]martinshkreli 25 points 16 hours ago

$100k if the cards are long-term worthless $250k if it's unclear $500k if i feel certain the cards will hold value or grow in value and can be resold

It seems strange to me that someone looking to invest in a niche collectible at that level (especially someone like him with such a highly public, negative profile) would be asking these sorts of questions on a public forum. Especially under his own name.

It seems strange to me that someone looking to invest in a niche collectible at that level (especially someone like him with such a highly public, negative profile) would be asking these sorts of questions on a public forum. Especially under his own name.

A friend of mine just said the same thing.

My guess is he's bored as he-ll sitting at home waiting to go to trial.

I don't think monetary considerations are foremost on his mind; making money without the accompanying buzz and notoriety is probably no fun for him. 2c

Sounds about right.

So what is your take on his motivations for collecting cards then - that just that he wants to collect some cards for ghits and shiggles , since he appears to play recreationally?

Asking under his own name is presumably an attention thing although it's somewhat surprising that even he hasn't had his fill of that. Almost seems like some light trolling because I suspect he already knows the answers to the questions he's asking.

He does appear to like his games so maybe this is an extension of that.

What's his net worth I wonder? How much does 100/200/500k mean to him. (Google suggests maybe 100m)

I'm kind of guessing that with his legal troubles (and with whatever that may mean to his fortune) he's just having a little fun with play money and keeping real money handy til legal stuff sorted out. Not that I have a clue, just interesting to speculate.