• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

While we're looking at records here's a classic pickup right in Robot Man's backyard in Pasadena at a retirement home sale. They had a pile of old Disneyland records and when I spotted this particular record I grabbed the whole pile and offered them $10. which they accepted. When I got home and looked it up it was great to find it is one of the rarer of these records; it's a keeper for me!

The Scarecrow was one of my favorite features of the original Disneyland TV show. It holds up well still as I re-watched the series with my kids a few years back and they got a big kick out of it.

Watch the title sequence here to jar the memories:

163132.jpg.b63151bfd61d66f397cc11cbfbf2c50a.jpg

While we're looking at records here's a classic pickup right in Robot Man's backyard in Pasadena at a retirement home sale. They had a pile of old Disneyland records and when I spotted this particular record I grabbed the whole pile and offered them $10. which they accepted. When I got home and looked it up it was great to find it is one of the rarer of these records; it's a keeper for me!

The Scarecrow was one of my favorite features of the original Disneyland TV show. It holds up well still as I re-watched the series with my kids a few years back and they got a big kick out of it.

Too bad Disney won't bring those Scarecrow DVDs back into print. I just checked Amazon and the few resellers are asking a fortune for them.

Edited by Sqeggs

Too bad Disney won't bring those Scarecrow DVDs back into print. I just checked Amazon and the few resellers are asking a fortune for them.

Wow, those prices are unreal!!

Big time Texas comic book dealer who now owns the Church Timely collection. How would you like to buy out this wall at 1981 prices?

johnverzyl1981c_zpsmdyopret.jpg

I'll bet the 1981 prices for those Conans were about what they are now.

Why nobody love Conan no more?

I don't think I liked Conan even then (other than the Barry Smith art)

I liked Barry Smith art but really liked stories by Thomas and art by Buscema. :banana:

2375573724_9bb294a2c4_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Really loved that as a kid. Kinda scared me a little...

S C A R E C R O W! I can still hear the opening refrain!

It probably should have scared you; I actually got so into it after I rediscovered it that I went back and read the original source material which is pretty violent and gruesome. The Scarecrow was basically defending smugglers from the British Army as well as protesting the press gangs that roamed the countryside pressing young men into service with no notice or choice. Tough times.

As a kid I vividly remembered the hanging scene. Imagine Disney trying to do that today on network television no less!

It probably should have scared you; I actually got so into it after I rediscovered it that I went back and read the original source material which is pretty violent and gruesome. The Scarecrow was basically defending smugglers from the British Army as well as protesting the press gangs that roamed the countryside pressing young men into service with no notice or choice. Tough times.

As a kid I vividly remembered the hanging scene. Imagine Disney trying to do that today on network television no less!

Disney put that series out on DVD but only as part of their special limited series and it sold out before I bought a copy. Patrick McGoohan is terrific as Dr. Syn, though that's usually the case.

And you won't see too many probably. Everybody goes after Dizzy Dames and these are just as good. Lots of pretty girls in their underwear inside. #4 has un-credited Frazetta. Took me a long time to finish it off with #2 and I had to pay MANY multiples of guide for the satisfaction.

Disney put that series out on DVD but only as part of their special limited series and it sold out before I bought a copy. Patrick McGoohan is terrific as Dr. Syn, though that's usually the case.

Yeah, apparently with only about 39,000 copies produced. I remember waiting for it and then found it had almost instantly sold out. Makes you wonder why they continue to hold some of these old series off the market.

I'm sure I've shown some Buck Rogers stuff here but probably not these. This photo is a few years old and I've added a few things it to but it shows most of the BR pinbacks, badges and membership cards. The thing in the center is a mail a way holster for the Atomic Ray gun. The green and orange pinback is very deco and is from the 1933 Chicago Worlds Fair. The orange and blue pin to the right of it "members of Buck Roger's club" is only one of just a few known.

buckrogersstuff_zpsyk18s1xq.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

I've recently been photographing a lot of my full runs of pre-code horror. It's been fun looking at each run book by book, thumbing some and re-reading a lot. I re-discovered this yesterday by accident. I knew about it but just forgot. Since they were in the same box, I took a side by side shot.

The Adventure into Darkness came out just a few months ahead of the Beware. Interesting that this swipe would be so close. Not exact, but pretty darn close.(even the subject matter is close)

Man, to be Marty or fifties and been able to see these on the newstand for a dime...

comhorrorcoverswipe_zpsmiejfyhn.jpg

I've recently been photographing a lot of my full runs of pre-code horror. It's been fun looking at each run book by book, thumbing some and re-reading a lot. I re-discovered this yesterday by accident. I knew about it but just forgot. Since they were in the same box, I took a side by side shot.

The Adventure into Darkness came out just a few months ahead of the Beware. Interesting that this swipe would be so close. Not exact, but pretty darn close.(even the subject matter is close)

Man, to be Marty or fifties and been able to see these on the newstand for a dime...

comhorrorcoverswipe_zpsmiejfyhn.jpg

It really was a great time and I truly enjoy the memories my collection brings me!

mm