• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,304 posts in this topic

This may have been discussed in this or another forum before.

Does anyone have a theory about why entry #732 is missing from the Kennedy Guide? Even though it is noted in the Head wiki guide, I just noticed it today!

My theory: #732 was accidentally deleted during editing and once contained the info for Richard Stoner's 1975 mini, Figments. It is just too odd that it would have not been noticed and listed by Kennedy.

Just putting 2 and 2 together.

And what's up with Kennedy's inability to properly list the guide in proper alphabetical order? Is it because his classic was complied at the dawn of modern, computerized, pre-press editing and he chose to stick to hand written notes?

This may have been discussed in this or another forum before.

Does anyone have a theory about why entry #732 is missing from the Kennedy Guide? Even though it is noted in the Head wiki guide, I just noticed it today!

My theory: #732 was accidentally deleted during editing and once contained the info for Richard Stoner's 1975 mini, Figments. It is just too odd that it would have not been noticed and listed by Kennedy.

Just putting 2 and 2 together.

And what's up with Kennedy's inability to properly list the guide in proper alphabetical order? Is it because his classic was complied at the dawn of modern, computerized, pre-press editing and he chose to stick to hand written notes?

It does seem that Figments #1 would most likely be the missing #732.

How did the FUGG15 arrive at 1976 given evidence to suggest otherwise?

Well, I may have answered my own question. After posting this I sent a message to artist Gary Dumm and here is his response:

"You know, I'm not absolutely certain exactly when it came out, BUT I believe that it was earlier in 1976 - and I know that it did precede the first issue of American Splendor by several months. I got Harvey Pekar to agree to my putting it in FB with no problem.

Thanks for your interest.

Best, Gary"

I bought a copy of Flaming Baloney from Gary at an Columbus Ohio con in the mid 70s when it first came out. He was a regular dealer and a great guy, always willing to cut a young collector a deal. I also picked up AS #1 from him as well. Unfortunately, I have no memory of the exact date.

Folks,

Have decided to donate my UG comix & newspaper collection to the University of California Riversde Library.

I need to find a qualified appraiser to assign a Fair Market Value to my collection. This appraiser can be someone who

The individual demonstrates verifiable education and experience in valuing the type of property being appraised. To do this, the appraiser can make a declaration in the appraisal that, because of his or her background, experience, education, and membership in professional associations, he or she is qualified to make appraisals of the type of property being valued.

I live in the Southern California region, so 50CENT are you up to doing this???

Best, Alan

After considering it for a couple days, I don't know if I'm up for such a big project Alan. I wouldn't know where to start to be honest. That may be for someone with a bit more experience in doing something like that. Might be better if I could help if someone else took the lead on that project. Especially since you have a huge collection of tabloid/newspapers that I am not very familiar with.

I know he doesn't live in this part of the country, but you might want to get an opinion from our fellow collector who took care of Howard's collection sale for his family?

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

Looking for a little help here. Found a place with two long boxes of Underground Comix but no idea what is worthwhile and what isn't. On top of that, I know the printings of some of them are hard to determine.

Any quick tips?

My go-to references are Fogel's Underground Price & Grading Guide and ugcomix.info (hit the reprint guide link) plus The Official Underground And Newave Comix Price Guide by Jay Kennedy.

Exactly... one still needs a combination of sources to make buying/selling decisions with underground comix. I recommend:

2015 Fogel's Guide

1982 Kenendy Guide

http://www.ugcomix.info/guide/

If you want just one guide on the cheap... then the 2006 Fogel's Guide (usually <$5 today).

It all starts with the classic Kennedy guide from 1982...

Consider that the '82 Kennedy guide is nearly 35 years closer to every UG source and publisher. The sheer volume of information contained within this tome simply cannot be reproduced today (not possible, and believe me collectors tried c2006-2010).

The 2015 Fogel's Comix guide is really growing on me, though I have a problem with some of the edits from the 2006-2010 versions (particularly Big 1 & Freak Brothers 2). In fact, it is growing on me so much that I decided to scrap my beat copies of the F UG 06 and the F UG Supplement 2010. Why it makes the list explicitly is that one needs an updated PRICE GUIDE to actively buy and sell UGs. This is it, though it drastically misses the mark for the upper-end of graded comix (or indeed Freak Brothers as a title).

The visual guide to underground comix is still a ‘resource in a pinch’ and illustrates clearly many of the cover tells of underground comix. I fully endorse this resource with the caveat that I do not appreciate its proprietor Zonker aka ComixJunky aka whatever shill he is using these days (very anti-slabbing and anti-grading in general until it suits his eBay needs). Still **reeeeespect** the site itself is Zonker’s blood, sweat, and tears and it was crucial in keeping u-comix from going extinct in the early 2000s.

I have found comixjoint to be very helpful in determining printings.

+1 Over40Artist's site is really becoming a great resource too.

He really has done a fabulous job since the old ComicsPriceGuide days... and indeed the latest Fogel's Guide owes O40 a great debt for his hard work and persistence in seeing that tome to completion (not to mention the lovely formatting).

For a minute there too... it looked like his UG forums were going to be the sh*t, but everytime I check the forums they are down (so it must have been abandoned).

Hello felix the cat

Your copy of Feds is real nice.

Just curious what would hold your copy back to a CGC 6.0? The front looks to be 9.0 or higher. Is there some hippy related staining on the back?

Just wondering if I need glasses.

Edited by dannyboycheapyboy

The back looks as clean as the front. I was talking with oldmilwaukee6er and he thinks it was brought down by 2.0 because of the "Name , sketch, and 1984 in pen". I have to agree, although that book still looks to me like it should be 9.0 at least.