• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st drawing of Stan Lee in a comic?

10 posts in this topic

I just saw this house ad in my copy of Kid Movie Comics 11 from 1946.

Is that drawing supposed to be Stan Lee at the top? He was the editor of this comic. At the bottom it even says to send in the Coupon to Stan Lee.

It got me wondering if this is the 1st drawing of Stan in a comic? When is the 1st drawing of Jack Kirby in a comic?

P1110294_zpstwgignuy.jpg

The funny animal artists were managed more loosely and their comics contain a number of caricatures of Timely artists and staffers so it's likely Stan.

It's also possible that Stan was caricatured earlier. I recall reading a partial listing of caricatures in Comic Book Marketplace or Alter Ego but don't know the exact issue.

Margie Comics (#36) June 1947.

MisterLee.png

MisterLee2.png

Classic full story. Stan take the teen age Margie to a night club where she embassases him by swooning over celebrities. I had him sign one many years ago and he had forgotton about it. I've always been surprised it wasn't noted in Overstreet.