• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,201 posts in this topic

I'm amazed at all the time and energy that is put into the probation thread, The comic book hobby doesn't start and stop at whoever is on these boards. Me personally, I don't buy raw books off of eBay unless I've dealt with the seller before. If I do, it's not more than a few dollars. The double cover would have easily been caught if the book was opened when received. I'm not running to this con artist's defense but having a probation thread that hardly gets looked at doesn't fix anything, you make transactions at your own risk and even reputable members can turn sour at any point. I think some kind of feedback number under your screen name would be far more beneficial.

I'm amazed at all the time and energy that is put into the probation thread, The comic book hobby doesn't start and stop at whoever is on these boards. Me personally, I don't buy raw books off of eBay unless I've dealt with the seller before. If I do, it's not more than a few dollars. The double cover would have easily been caught if the book was opened when received. I'm not running to this con artist's defense but having a probation thread that hardly gets looked at doesn't fix anything, you make transactions at your own risk and even reputable members can turn sour at any point. I think some kind of feedback number under your screen name would be far more beneficial.

This has been beat to death, and these are the tools we have to work with. CGC will not allow their contractors for this board to interfere or police sales. The PL and HOS are up there, people state in their sales threads NO PL or HOS Please most times. It's caveat emptor and it works. Buyer beware.

I'd like the board feedback number, if they'd ever allow it. That's a good idea.

But as for the rest of it, some notice, some information, some effort to prevent people who do the wrong thing, who take advantage of other members from being able to do so without anyone having opportunity to make an informed choice, is better than no notice, and no information.

We've got to work with what we've got. This is what we've got. Shining a light on these cockroaches is better than resigning ourselves to letting them scurry in the dark simply because we can't stomp them with our boot.

I'd like the board feedback number, if they'd ever allow it. That's a good idea.

But as for the rest of it, some notice, some information, some effort to prevent people who do the wrong thing, who take advantage of other members from being able to do so without anyone having opportunity to make an informed choice, is better than no notice, and no information.

We've got to work with what we've got. This is what we've got. Shining a light on these cockroaches is better than resigning ourselves to letting them scurry in the dark simply because we can't stomp them with our boot.

I think it's more us than them. Every time it's been raised there seems to have been a consensus -- against it, unfortunately. At least from those willing to publicly state an opinion.

Turning the kudos threads into true fb threads would seem to be a good idea, but not one many people are willing to accept.

Under our current system there is no way to alert other people about crappy buyer or seller behavior short of nominating the person to the PL.

I thought for sure it was adminstration/moderation that shot down the idea of something in the name/profile/avatar area that would identify negative feedback or probation, etc.

That it would cross the line between self-policing that they weren't a part of and some kind of approval or editorial comment regarding the validity of the complaints against the person(s) in question.

I could be wrong, but I thought that was the reason we don't see anything negative in on the left side of the screen by anyone's name.

I think it serves its purpose. Every time I see a book I want to purchase or I receive a PM from someone who wants one of my books, I look over the PL and HOS list. I'm sure not everybody does, but the benefit is there.

It's the only option we've got here. We can just not do anything with problem buyers/sellers/facilitator/whatever, or do what we can within our limits. We've opted to do what we can within the limits of the board. Just because it's not a perfect solution doesn't mean it's not worth doing.

I thought for sure it was adminstration/moderation that shot down the idea of something in the name/profile/avatar area that would identify negative feedback or probation, etc.

That it would cross the line between self-policing that they weren't a part of and some kind of approval or editorial comment regarding the validity of the complaints against the person(s) in question.

I could be wrong, but I thought that was the reason we don't see anything negative in on the left side of the screen by anyone's name.

You are probably right about that. It does ring a bell.

I was speaking more broadly about the possibility of allowing feedback on buyers and sellers. Whenever that's raised, there is a resounding chorus of "Nos!"

You are probably right about that. It does ring a bell.

I was speaking more broadly about the possibility of allowing feedback on buyers and sellers. Whenever that's raised, there is a resounding chorus of "Nos!"

Give me all the negatives!

This is my belief. If they were able to take a proactive approach and supported the sales area, then I am sure this would be implemented

This is my belief. If they were able to take a proactive approach and supported the sales area, then I am sure this would be implemented

Probably isn't worth the hassle to them to police the sales areas. They don't get anything out of forum sales, but we do.

We already have an extensive list of people who have issues. I don't really see any need for additional oversight. It's not like the mods have been light handed of late anyway.

This has been beat to death, and these are the tools we have to work with. CGC will not allow their contractors for this board to interfere or police sales. The PL and HOS are up there, people state in their sales threads NO PL or HOS Please most times. It's caveat emptor and it works. Buyer beware.

I thought the board did a pretty good job on this one. I cant imagine the headaches that guy has walked into. I use both the PL and the HOS and have ban a couple personally for me. Its a good indicator I think.

I updated the list. (thumbs u

Thanks Harvey. Got home last night well after 1AM. Tried logging in to update the list but couldn't get onto the boards. Backups were probably running or some kind of maintenance. Need coffee now. (thumbs u

70% voted for him to be added to the list.

I guess someone with credibility should do so

Actually, 88% of participants voted for him to be added to the list.

70 was the number of people who voted for that.