• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watch my slab collection grow from scratch to BIG $$$ scratch!

292 posts in this topic

I wrote a little on my blog today for the first time in a while. I have decided to document a few thoughts about my current role as someone who is helping facilitate commissions for Rudy Nebres. Mr.Nebres is an artist best known for his work inking Marvel Comics over John Buscema, Walt Simonson, and other giants of the industry. So if you want to see a little bit about my thought processes as I undertake this new role please visit fedres420.blogspot.com

So I got those slabs yesterday. Web 1 9.8 SS Charles Vess! That was the highlight.

The lowlight is 8.5 on Infinity Gauntlet 1 SS Jim Starlin. I also got a 9.4 on Rachel Rising 2 SS Terry Moore, so I got that going for me.

RAD034D920151124_111027.jpg

My wife, once an editor, always talks about reading her brother's comics during assistant editors' month. She gets a bit giddy giggling especially when talking about this comic, coming her way on Valentine's Day (if they ship it by then!)

I sent my first books to ccs last month. I think that they arrived there on 3/21/16 and today they cleared and were sent to cgc. So that will be interesting. I have these books coming back now.

ASM 300. I bought a copy on the boards and figured why not slab it. I have had a few since selling my off-the-rack copy. I think it was advertised as a 8.0/8.5 but I bought it impulsively and decided to send it in.

Doctor Strange 169 - I have had a few slabs of this book and currently own a 4.5. My highest was a 7.5 I believe. I am hoping that I found a nice copy at a show and that it comes back groovy. PLOD is always my fear obviously.

I also fear the PLOD on a sweet copy I subbed of Silver Surfer 4. I currently have a nice 9.0 so I am hoping it will be in that range or higher. I certainly thought it might have a chance but I am a n00b with grading something like this and always will be I fear.

If that SS4 comes back 9.0 I may put it up on my shelf as a bookend with the other one, surrounding the SS 2 issue limited series by Stan and Moebius.

Some nice books there! I'm excited to see what you get, too :)

Thanks! I am at verified for both tiers. It will be interesting to compare how the different era books move through the system.

I know there were a few NJ guys reading this once upon a time, so in order to get the word out as much as I can I am going to tell y'all about a little something I am going to start this summer...saving the world! :acclaim: I decided a while ago I should be offering my fellow man a little more effort and it has taken a while but I have decided on community gardens and donating fresh produce to local food pantries as a way to do so. I have had little success with the community garden aspect so far but am working on that.

What I am having more success with is something I can do myself. I have enjoyed gardening tremendously the last few years and late last year my plan was revealed to me. I am going to grow just a few extra plants and donate all they yield to the local food pantry. (Last fall I tore up the whole side of my backyard and uprooted all the grass! It was like Close Encounters of the Third Time!) FISH Inc of Dunellen NJ has agreed to take my produce and tells me that they can distribute all I can provide. I intend to make them eat those words, but I will need help. So I am going to act as a middleman and am willing to pick up produce from growers in the Dunellen NJ area and along the Route 1 corridor from Trenton to New Brunswick. I will devote time each Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday to collecting whatever produce people are willing to donate but unable to get to a food pantry themselves.

I have set up a twitter account for my new alter ego...NJVeggieMan! So contact my at @njveggieman or for a little more information you can go to http://bgwdesigns.com/vegetable-donation/ I will be updating that website with pictures, information, and some more as I go along.

I am pretty sure I will start with at least a Kung Pao pepper plant and a tomato plant of some type. The Kung Pao plant will generate 200+ peppers! I couldn't believe how many wonderful hot red peppers this plant yields so that will be a good plant to get quantity AND quality for donations. Tomato plants are not usually in my garden as my wife and I have scant use for them (STFU!) but they are also a great source of both quality AND quantity. So two of those should do nicely for Ms. Thang over at the FISH INC. food pantry. I plant a lot of bell peppers for us to use but you do not get very many peppers per plant so I am unsure if that is a wise choice. OOOH. definitely a zucchini plant for donation as well. They can really get going given enough space.

Take care and be well!

Edited by Bird

I started a pile for my first pre-screen submission. I will probably wait until a convention so I can just bring them over instead of packing so many books. I only have 10 or so books now and will be adding some TWD and a few other titles before subbing. Probably after WW Philly.

I also have been going gangbusters on the garden / feed the hungry project. I bought 6 lead of hettuce and another 4 pack of pepper plants today. The pepper plants are spicy hot, so in addition to bringing some spice to people's diets they will yield 200+ peppers per plant this summer.

I just need 2 or 3 zucchini now and that should just about do it. And I want to plant 3 asparagus to future years' eating.

But remember that if you live in NJ near the Route 1 corridor or New Brunswick that I will come and pick up produce and have it at the local FISH Inc food bank the next day at the latest. For details visit my blog here

still hoping even one person will agree to grow 1 plant and donate the veggies it produces to the hungry! I have my garden going and will add string beans (mostly for the family but maybe a few for donation if they grow well!) this weekend.

@NJVeggieMan is my twitter handle for this endeavor. Please consider this if you live in NJ and I will come get the veggies regularly if I can. This is all on the webpage at my veggie campaign hosted on my wife's website company website

The garden is done. I may find room elsewhere for the two leftover zucchini plants that I have, but the garden proper is full. I planted 30-35 string bean plants, so let's hope they all come in and I have tons to eat and donate!

I have updated the pictures on the vegetable donation website. I will be adding support as the beans grow but no need to do that yet until I see how they come in.

So today I sold 11 longboxes via craigslist. The $400 put me well into the black on the collections I have been buying to generate slab worthy comics and flip for OA cash. So I put in a buy request with Kwan Chang and plan on getting a new piece of art. I also plan on dropping off 30-40 comics with CGC at the Garden State Comic Fest next month, assuming my 3 comics return from Sarasota by then and that I am happy with the new slabs.

But I have to tell you, I sold the comics for peace of mind as much as anything else. They were getting to feel like a weight around my neck. I was constantly thinking about them and what could I list on ebay blah blah blah. Now I still have the stuff I liked looking at but it is a much more manageable amount. And it is much more fun listing Dave Stevens covers or baseball comics than Alpha Flight and Nomad runs.

Edited by Bird

Today I spent that money from the sale mentioned in the post above and bought 2 Mike Mignola inked sketchbook pieces! They look awesome online and I cannot wait to get them in my hands soon.

Here is one of them.

mignola_theend_pinup.jpg

Kwan is a great guy to deal with but he was not interested in my trade items. They are in my CAF so if you have any interest in buying one shoot me an email or PM and maybe we can work something out.

doc 169 and ss4 hit graded today.

asm 300 still sitting at scheduled for grading, which is where it was when the above books were still at verified