• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aspen comics honouring Tuners legacy.....maybe NOT (rant)

318 posts in this topic

Rant......

I missed out on Batman #1 and now it looks like I missed out OR will miss out on Amazing Spider-Man...... I loved Turners art, they are a master piece and you can see that he truly loved drawing..... But with how Aspen (a company Turner practically founded) is handling the printing and distribution of those books. If Aspen really wants to honour Turners memory, they should have a much higher prints... This way every Turner fan can get a copy. With how Aspen is doing, I wouldn't be suprised if Turner is rolling on his grave...

Ok rant over.....

Rant......

I missed out on Batman #1 and now it looks like I missed out OR will miss out on Amazing Spider-Man...... I loved Turners art, they are a master piece and you can see that he truly loved drawing..... But with how Aspen (a company Turner practically founded) is handling the printing and distribution of those books. If Aspen really wants to honour Turners memory, they should have a much higher prints... This way every Turner fan can get a copy. With how Aspen is doing, I wouldn't be suprised if Turner is rolling on his grave...

Ok rant over.....

U sound jealous

They are increasing the print on the next books....and limiting purchases.

Hopefully your right with them limiting how many sets someone can order

I emailed Aspen about concerns on future books....they told me they increased the print and is limiting the purchasing. They limited better on the Spiderman ones, but the print was already complete.

Rant......

Ok rant over.....

U sound jealous

You're D.a.Mb right I'm jealous and pissed as hell...... its been years since the last Turner book (maybe even a decade) and what does Aspen do, they limit the copies to 3000 or 3500... That is just f***ed up.

Then on the day they open the website for pre-sale and said it'll begin at 9:00.... I was on the computer at 9:00...BUT guess what, the website crash. I can't stay at the computer all day and wait for them to fix it, some of us has a job to do. When I got back...BOOM, it sold out. They even have the nerve of having the comics in the front page but when you click on it, it was sold out.

I didn't even have the opportunity to order, let alone put in my cart.... I heard some people went as far as checkout, but the website crashed again (or was sold out) if I'm pissedas hell, I can't imagine how pissed those people are....

Rant......

Ok rant over.....

I don't really follow Aspen, but I'm guessing they put a lot of work into keeping Turner's art and legacy alive for many faithful fans. I think your rant is disingenuous and you're mad because you missed out on some variants. To be frustrated is human, I've missed out as well and will have to pay aftermarket prices, but don't take it out on a small company that probably puts in numerous thankless (your rant being a perfect example of "thankless") hours to try to keep his name in the public eye. I don't know how, in your mind, honoring Turner's legacy = larger print runs. There are plenty of other "master pieces" in their store from which you can choose. You know what would not be honoring his legacy? Not doing any variants with his art. Not doing any prints. In fact, I'm guessing they probably put out a newsletter announcing the variant covers for Batman and Spider-Man. Since you're such a huge Turner fan, I'm guessing you get it. Plenty of people here knew about it, yet somehow you missed the boat. How about looking at yourself instead of blasting this company on a public forum? Could you have been quicker to order? Were you paying attention to their press releases via various media? Do you even understand all the various challenges a small publisher faces on a near-daily basis? Please, take these things into consideration and be honest with yourself about why you're angry. Starting a new thread for something like this so you can just act out can be very damaging to a company and to hard-working people (who are trying to create a product for your enjoyment) when this is really all about your failure, not theirs -- but thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention.

This is just petulant whining. I missed the Spidey book too. But I got the JSC variant. Sure, I'm bummed that I missed the Spidey, but I'll live. And I sure won't start ranting about how both speculators & fans bought up the whole print run in like 10 minutes or whatever it was & blaming the company for it. Do I think they should have limited how many people could buy? Eh. Maybe. I don't know. And I don't know if it would have made a difference.

Just bite the bullet & pay secondary market prices. We all have to sometimes. Live with it.

I'm a little jelly too, I thought the Spider-Man Pre-Order was much later like a lot of people.

How many sets did you get Krighton?

I got 2 sets of the Batman 1...I presold one but the person I sold it to has been pretty patient and i'm sending him some bonus comics to make up for the wait.

Oh and I missed out on the AM 15 but from what I read about the site problems i'm probably less stressed by missing it.

Edited by krighton

So you missed it.. its all part of the game and the smaller print run is smart - it creates the demand and the chase and guarantees that a small, family owned company like Aspen Comics won't be left with unsold copies.

If you really want the Batman cover look for the Michael Turner Sketchbook from 2007. Sorry you missed out on the Spiderman book but, like others have said, sign up for their newsletter, keep an eye on Facebook and Twitter for AspenComics and stay tuned Sunday for the JL book. If you really want these or the other limited release books be proactive and plan ahead for the release dates.

I do understand that you were ready a 9PST for this but their website crashed due to the amount of traffic available AND once their couple IT people got it back up and running the book was released in waves and eventually limited to 1 per person. But this does not mean anything in regard to MLT's legacy it just means they were hit with more traffic at once than they ever have.

But - we're all playing the game and we win some and we loose some, hopefully you'll get a "W" on the next one

Michael_Turner_Sketchbook_A_Spider_man_Batman.png

Edited by JLS Comics

I'm a little jelly too, I thought the Spider-Man Pre-Order was much later like a lot of people.

I got 2 sets of the Batman 1...I presold one but the person I sold it to has been pretty patient and i'm sending him some bonus comics to make up for the wait.

Oh and I missed out on the AM 15 but from what I read about the site problems i'm probably less stressed by missing it.

I think this is what amazes me more. Currently 3 pages on eBay of people pre-selling (Spider-Man) books that they don't have in hand yet and are hoping they arrive in the condition they are attempting to sell them at. (shrug)

I think this is what amazes me more. Currently 3 pages on eBay of people pre-selling (Spider-Man) books that they don't have in hand yet and are hoping they arrive in the condition they are attempting to sell them at. (shrug)

I don't normally presell but the money was too enticing....I sold it as NM and told the winner i'm giving the best of the 2 sets to them so i'm hoping they arrive in good condition. So far people have said they're arriving in nm+

Edited by krighton

Here's the Justice League cover, get ready for it to sell out as well:

Justice_League_Rebirth_1_variant_Michael_Turner.jpg

Are you thinking of this?

Superman_Batman_Vol_1_8_3rd_Printing_zpsyizghmog.jpg

The Wonder Woman is from the Amazing Arizona Con print

grabbed from ebay

wonderwomanturner_zpstmv6dajs.jpg

Edited by krighton