• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Burden of proof??

I was in the thread..HE FLAT OUT ADMITTED that his friend made the fake books up..told us to all screw ourselves he was making money ..

He said he was out and out making and selling FAKE MANUFACTURED multiple cover books

I have no idea why CGC didn't care enough to leave thos incriminating responses in a thread..so other people could KNOW this guy ADMITTED

He was running a scam..

He deflected it several times with different excuses but did come clean..

So why is this a discussion..

If someone else was on here making up fake books..

Wouldn't you want them gone for the good of the rest of us??

Well, it is a discussion because that is how the HOS works. It is how people voted to make it work. So it is what we do.

It seems the incriminating evidence has been wiped by the mods???!!! That is ridiculous. Had I been able to read that my response would have been different, and my only objection would be an 8 minute timeline from the informing to layout to poll. I still would have wanted the 3 day day/discussion part of the HOS process to be followed.

A good part of the discussion too is that many people, like me, are being exposed to new information. But the best part is the discussion period is what has been agreed on and, until that changes, is something I will always support.

I'm in full support of following the rules and the discussion period.

In my original post, I apologized in advance for flubbing any protocols regarding HoS nomination.

I am sorry for being foolish enough to glaze over the rules for induction before posting. I hate to be "that guy" but in this instance I am.

I was mainly in a hurry to let people know about the scam so they wouldn't fall victim to it.

Forgive me.

I just want the other customers to find out and pursue options with the seller. They deserve a refund just as much as I did.

I'm all in favor of the rules, waiting, whatever. I don't think it will really impact the guy if he is placed on the HoS because he never really did business here under that account, but at least there will be some discussion about the situation and enough information for board members to decide whether or not to do business with him.

Next time the list gets updated I suggest the HOS members' names be listed alphabetically rather than keeping them listed in the order that they've been added.

2c

Agreed. Logical suggestion.

Since they are added to the HOS list by the community, it's a much bigger deal than a simple small deal gone wrong.

There are a couple on the list that have their names up there now. I just didn't know if it made sense to list their actual name.

For instance, in the current matter, this guy hasn't been here that long. It's not like he has some long standing connection to his Board name. What is to prevent him from just creating a shill and coming back with "JoeSchmoe"? The real name adds a layer of protection and we are talking about the "Worst of the worst" that were added to the list based upon a community vote.

Should real names be added for those on the HOS?

This was discussed and nixed by Arch some years ago:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=80&Number=5383255&Searchpage=1&Main=163911&Words=%2Bprobation+%2Bpersonal+Architecht&topic=0&Search=true#Post5383255

To quote:

Due to the repeat offenders from the list that keep creating shill accounts, I propose that once someone is outed as doing this that their REAL NAME and ADDRESS is put on the probation list.

This will help us stop selling to these same assclowns that are lather/rinse/repeating us at their own free will.

I've brought it up before but it's never taken root. We don't have to do it for the entire list. Just the ones that shill us and take us for fools.

Debate this for a bit and put up a poll. I'm sure logic will prevail and we can take measures to keep the same few from doing it time after time.

Publicly posting people's personal information without their consent will not be allowed. It never has been. The only exception are public entities, for example, businesses and only information not associated with people's homes because this is information that has been put out in the public by them anyway.

I don't even see why both parties have to be board members for HOS. If we find out a board member is ripping people off on eBay, but he hasn't ripped off a board member yet, I'd nominate him for HOS as well.

There was a lot of discussion regarding Off-Board Transactions. Ultimately the majority vote was to have it as you see it. This was back in 2011 and caused the addition of Off-Board Transactions to the PL/HOS Rules.

I haven't voted as I still feel this is another example of a rush vote without all the information.

Maybe it's just a coincidence but it seems the HOS has expanded very rapidly in the few short years I've been reading these boards, compared to the short list of the decade before.

What information do you need? The guy said that a shop sold them, then he said he was being ripped off, then he said it was his roommate/friend making the covers so they could sell for profit. I'm just wondering how this is a rush without all the information.

Did you read the thread before it was scrubbed?

I didn't.

What I read was responses in a vacuum, no indication of what was said to elicit those responses. I read people saying both major grading houses missed the books they graded, then people saying they may be legit.

All I'm saying is personally, I haven't seen enough actual evidence to vote. Your mileage may vary.

I was involved in the original thread. The thread started with his eBay listings being linked to. A-Donis had the guy send him pictures of the interior. A-Donis posted these pictures and it was clear that the staples had been tampered with. All in the thread agreed that the listings were fake. Then, the guy comes in and says he hopes everyone is enjoying thrashing his name, and that he took the listings down. He said he bought the books from a LCS for between $50-150.

People asked for shop name. He said the shop was owned by a friend and he wasn't going to out him.

Then, he went away. Thread continued with everyone of the opinion that the dude was probay manufacturing the books, since he wouldn't out the shop. Kav found the 2 comic shops in the guy's town and said he would contact them the following day. A-donis said he originally felt sorry for the guy, but not so much anymore. Lots of posts asking the guy to out the comic book store. Then, Vger7 (name) got involved defending the guy and accusing the boards of witch hunting. CAK was doing CAKY things like trying to throw it down. CAK and VGer7 were name calling. Vger7 called CAHokie Hokie Pokie. Vger7 might have been hitting on SilverJanet.

Then, double cover man comes back with his do you want the truth post. It is no longer the LCS, but his friend who makes the covers, and admits that he was selling them to make coin. This was unsolicited information. It was James Bond villain reveals the master plan. It was Scooby Doo and I would have got away with it if it weren't for those meddling boardies kind of admission. The mods scrubbing the thread, however, is ridiculous.

Edited by ridersrohan

When I looked at it, briefly, his post had about 10 spooned words in it, which is a great way to insure you'll have your post pulled and since all the responses attached go with it, that's probably what happened.

I didn't check, but I believe they were all the same spooned word, which says quite a bit for his vocabulary;)

Hopefully the new board software will work better.

I'm actually shocked no one dreamt up this brilliant scheme before. doh! the double/triple covers, not the spooned words so your post will get pulled thingy. I doubt he thought that far ahead.

When I looked at it, briefly, his post had about 10 spooned words in it, which is a great way to insure you'll have your post pulled and since all the responses attached go with it, that's probably what happened.

I didn't check, but I believe they were all the same spooned word, which says quite a bit for his vocabulary;)

Hopefully the new board software will work better.

I'm actually shocked no one dreamt up this brilliant scheme before. doh! the double/triple covers, not the spooned words so your post will get pulled thingy. I doubt he thought that far ahead.

That's probably the most logical reason why the mods pulled so many posts. Upsetting as I never had the chance to read all of that.

Regardless, it will be three days tomorrow evening and we can poll away on the HOS question.