• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phantom Lady 17 vs. 23
1 1

Phantom Lady 17 or 23  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Phantom Lady 17 or 23

93 posts in this topic

The GA cover poll includes two of my favorite Baker covers, PL 17 and SS 4. I was disappointed, however, that it didn't include PL 23, which I believe ranks at the same level as the others. Although it's difficult to do a side-by-side comparison of PL 23 and SS 4 because they reflect different genres, it's much easier to compare PL 17 and 23 because they are the same genre and character, and even the same setting (heroine in bondage and threatened by goon).

Although I love both covers, I prefer 23 over 17 for a few reasons. Unlike 17, in which PL is freeing herself from her bonds and looks confident as she prepares to use her weapon, 23 is more of a true bondage cover, showing PL as helpless and with a look of fear on her face. In addition, although PL's ample assets are depicted in both, they are more realistic in 23. PL's hand is also better drawn in 23.

I'd be curious to know what other GGA afficionados think.

Below are the two covers for reference:

163114.jpg.e428c53f6df97e74fc63b7625603334f.jpg

163115.jpg.a261169ea7760d35d14a258ca955ebd6.jpg

Both classic but I like 17 for the pose, the fact she's looking at the reader, and the fact that it's closer to a full figure shot. I also find the wood ceiling on 23 a little distracting. Both great though

The GA cover poll includes two of my favorite Baker covers, PL 17 and SS 4. I was disappointed, however, that it didn't include PL 23, which I believe ranks at the same level as the others. Although it's difficult to do a side-by-side comparison of PL 23 and SS 4 because they reflect different genres, it's much easier to compare PL 17 and 23 because they are the same genre and character, and even the same setting (heroine in bondage and threatened by goon).

Although I love both covers, I prefer 23 over 17 for a few reasons. Unlike 17, in which PL is freeing herself from her bonds and looks confident as she prepares to use her weapon, 23 is more of a true bondage cover, showing PL as helpless and with a look of fear on her face. In addition, although PL's ample assets are depicted in both, they are more realistic in 23. PL's hand is also better drawn in 23.

I'd be curious to know what other GGA afficionados think.

Below are the two covers for reference:

Btw there was some very convincing discussion earlier that PL 17 is not Baker and is in fact Feldstein or mostly Feldstein. If you compare the line work to the Sunny covers and similar Feldstein GGA works I think it's extremely compelling . Bakers stuff has a softer feel

Btw there was some very convincing discussion earlier that PL 17 is not Baker and is in fact Feldstein or mostly Feldstein. If you compare the line work to the Sunny covers and similar Feldstein GGA works I think it's extremely compelling . Bakers stuff has a softer feel

Link?

Link?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7712686

I've always preferred 23. I realize 17 was considered "classic" first but who made that call? Really it's been classic for so long it could have been due to Bob O waking up one morning, working on the OPG, saying, "yep, classic". And boom! Blessed into fanboy sainthood.

Link?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7712686

hm The conversation around issue 14 is compelling.

I've always preferred 23. I realize 17 was considered "classic" first but who made that call? Really it's been classic for so long it could have been due to Bob O waking up one morning, working on the OPG, saying, "yep, classic". And boom! Blessed into fanboy sainthood.

Wasn't it featured in SOTI?

Phantom 17 is most likely Feldstein with 23 by Kamen.

I much prefer the 17 over the 23 which I find a much less interesting pose and less beautiful female image.

My favorite of the PLs is 18 though that is likely not Baker and either all or partly by Feldstein.

PhantomLady18.jpg

I'd say 17 for me...... the anatomy is exceptional...... but there are many days that I actually like 16 the best..... that gal is stunning. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

Both classic but I like 17 for the pose, the fact she's looking at the reader, and the fact that it's closer to a full figure shot. I also find the wood ceiling on 23 a little distracting. Both great though
agreed. I like the frontal face shot. She looks confident and sexy. The 23 is still on target. Good comparison Peter.

agreed. I like the frontal face shot. She looks confident and sexy. The 23 is still on target. Good comparison Peter.

Yes, #17 is unique in that regard. There are not many covers in which the bondage victim is staring directly and provocatively at the reader.

+1 for the same reasons although 23 is pretty awesome too.

Ok, I might have mentioned this before, but PL 23 cover is taken from an interior panel from a previous issue, maybe 17. She's facing in the opposite direction with a thought ballon and a black background. When they needed a cover for 23, they flopped and blew up the image and had another artist fill in the background. Whether it was Baker doing PL you decide, but he didn't do the b/g.