• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Dallas -- March 31-April 2, 2017
1 1

448 posts in this topic

Less than that actually, hoping you can adjust the dates based on today's news.

Fan Expo Dallas has new dates: March 31 - April 2, 2017

Same venue location. Website was updated today and vendors are being contacted and informed this weekend at Dallas Fan Days.

Moving the show earlier in the year means the elimination of the February Dallas Fan Days event. We are combining the two events to focus on a bigger and better show in downtown Dallas. There will still be an October 2017 Dallas Fan Days at the Irving Convention Center.

We've already lined up some stellar comic guests for 2017 at all of our events, including Dallas.

Same venue location. Website was updated today and vendors are being contacted and informed this weekend at Dallas Fan Days.

Moving the show earlier in the year means the elimination of the February Dallas Fan Days event. We are combining the two events to focus on a bigger and better show in downtown Dallas. There will still be an October 2017 Dallas Fan Days at the Irving Convention Center.

We've already lined up some stellar comic guests for 2017 at all of our events, including Dallas.

This is a terrible idea.

This is a terrible idea.

How so? not arguing, just want to know your thoughts. To me it seems like a great idea. I think 3 shows is too many and kind of waters them all down. Also think that moving it to that date will lighten the competition for guests as they may/june time frame seems heavy with shows

This is a terrible idea.

How so? not arguing, just want to know your thoughts. To me it seems like a great idea. I think 3 shows is too many and kind of waters them all down. Also think that moving it to that date will lighten the competition for guests as they may/june time frame seems heavy with shows

I would agree with this, even though I have never done the show. Spring is always a good time for shows, especially in the south. Nice time to travel. Most people have their tax refunds, so money tends to flow freely.

Edited by Dale Roberts

This is a terrible idea.

I would agree with this, even though I have never done the show. Spring is always a good time for shows, especially in the south. Nice time to travel. Most people have their tax refunds, so money tends to flow freely.

I guess we will see how it goes. For me personally, travel at this time is more difficult and I don't know if they will get as many people able to travel to the show as they would in June. The Metroplex may be big enough that they don't need people to come in from a distance.

Adding guests may or may not be a good thing. If you are into more and bigger guests that is obviously a plus. From a dealer perspective that means less money for people to spend with vendors. As these shows get more expensive to do that means less diversity in dealers overall, and very likely fewer comic dealers. The February show isn't a huge loss, I guess, but I was looking forward to it since I passed on heading down to the October show this year (too busy).

Understand your point of view regarding travel, time of year, celebrity guests, etc. And when I talk about adding guests, I mean comic guests. I couldn't care less about the "celebrity" guests. I would hope better comic guests means more comic fans which would be better for comic vendors. It's definitely a see how it goes situation, I'm just cautiously optimistic.

We got a tremendous head start on the year and should have a strong list of comic guests for Dallas on the new dates. It's already looking really good, not that the 2016 list wasn't actually pretty rock solid with Lee, Miller, McFarlane, Ramos, Slott, Andy Kubert and J. Scott Campbell.

We got a tremendous head start on the year and should have a strong list of comic guests for Dallas on the new dates. It's already looking really good, not that the 2016 list wasn't actually pretty rock solid with Lee, Miller, McFarlane, Ramos, Slott, Andy Kubert and J. Scott Campbell.

That was a solid list, no argument there.

In terms of celebs, the only two on my list would be Andrew Lincoln and Mark Hamill. Either or both would be strong draws, and you could obviously build the show around Hamill. Either would be easy to build around with other guests from those properties.

In terms of comic guests, getting a good mix of veteran and newer talent would be ideal. Some of the folks that have done previous Irving shows (Len Wein, George Perez, Kelley Jones, Graham Nolan, Marv Wolfman, Mike Zeck, to name a few) would be great to see again. Someone like Neil Gaiman to headline would be beautiful, if I could dream (no pun intended).

Any hints for us? ;)

I really wish Fan Expo would talk with past exhibitors and figure this show out.

DFW is starving for a great show. This show has the potential to be great. But I fear it's trending towards being more like Traders Village.

My unsolicited two cents?

1. Get a couple of the top five publishers at the show.

2. Break the show floor down in groups better

a. comics

b. small press

c. arts and crafts type of vendors

d. artist alley

e. professional artists

f. T-Shirts and swords and lightsabers

you get the drift

3. Flip the floor. There was a ton of open area for the celebrity guests. If the artist alley was in that area, you could let the artists actually be comfortable and not crammed together.

4. Limit the mystery box vendors to one. The last Irving show had at least three mystery box vendors that I saw while wandering around. Have a lottery or something to determine who you let in.

5. Get more comic vendors to the show. Maybe offer the guys that only carry comics a little bit of a price break. There are lot's of awesome shops in DFW, I only see a couple actually of them at your shows. Maybe sell tickets through the shops and have different levels of discounts for how many tickets they sell.

6. Have you seen "The Block" in NYCC and C2E2? That needs to be down here too.

Just a few suggestions, not hating. Just really wanting a big show in DFW that is a destination show. This area is to big not to have a show like that.

Good points/suggestions.

June was my first Fan Expo Dallas and I thought it went pretty well, although I'm not fond of the layout of that convention center (programming rooms are miles away from the show floor), I've not been to an Irving show yet, so I can't comment on it.

Good points/suggestions.

June was my first Fan Expo Dallas and I thought it went pretty well, although I'm not fond of the layout of that convention center (programming rooms are miles away from the show floor), I've not been to an Irving show yet, so I can't comment on it.

I got a lot of steps in for those 3 days. Yes, they are far apart and its also hard to find some rooms. Overall, I really enjoyed it and thought it went well.

Adding guests may or may not be a good thing. If you are into more and bigger guests that is obviously a plus. From a dealer perspective that means less money for people to spend with vendors.

I would have had more money for EVERYONE if this show and Comicpalooza hadn't been practically on top of each other for the couple of years I went.

I had to know exactly how much I could spend. If I spent an extra $100 at the first show, I'm out something at the last show. I probably would have had 50% more cash, if it hadn't been like that.