• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,172 posts in this topic

I'll see your #5 and raise you a #6.

There's something I find so funny about the woman's blasé expression on this cover.

She's like "yeah guys, giant flaming torture device, is that all you got?"

25f4oq0.jpg

Great cover!

It is a great (Simon) cover - I've yet to get my hands on a copy... :cry:

;)

:applause:

Great post from Mark Seifert that deserves to be here.

The free bottle of Kooba offer got my interest so I looked it up and found this interesting article:

Kooba Cola

Kooba is one of my favorite comic-related historical mysteries. There's MUCH more to it than that oft-repeated story which has made the rounds for decades, and as outlined at that link (for whatever that's worth. At the end of the day, it's still "just" a Fox scheme or side-business).

For example --

a) there was at least one Kooba giveaway actually announced and advertised for a specific date at a NYC-area theater. So, he either actually had some, or he went to the trouble to fake it (probably).

b) He booked a real advertising agency to handle Kooba, and the account was announced in advertising trades.

c) A company purporting to be Kooba's bottler was a member of a Florida bottler's association, and took part in bottling trade shows for at least a year.

I'm still inclined to believe the stuff didn't actually hit the market -- vintage bottle collecting is a thing, and feels like an example would be out there somewhere if they'd been mass produced at any level.

End of the day, it's probably still some sort of Fox scheme -- there's a curious little incident mentioned in passing in the Wonderman/Superman lawsuit during which DC's Harry Donenfeld goes to some lengths to try to prove that he was in Havana on vacation and then in Miami meeting a distributor at a time when Fox said Donenfeld was meeting with him in NYC. Which doesn't mean much on the face of it, except that Fox and Donenfeld were birds of a feather, willing to employ gray-area tactics (to put it politely) to further their various business interests. And both of those guys doing business in and around Florida and Cuba (Kooba = Cuba, obviously) makes me wonder if Kooba was meant to be cover for distributing something else.

What an amazing copy of Fantastic 6!

Finally scanned my copy of 8, put it in the 'GA only' thread, but needs to be here too - such a bizarre cover:

ec88c890-b86a-41c5-8f76-c56c0083a953_zpsz6fhx0d0.jpg

Seems like 'ole Sampson spends a lot of time swing that ball and chain. Does he ever connect with that thing?

Heres another with with a super cover...Wonderworld Comics #28 (1st app of my man U.S. mofo Jones!!!) unfortunately incomplete but like the Weird 20 will do quite nicely as a placeholder until I find a presentable low grader that doesn't cost me a bazillion dollars!! :D

27474844275_b2e6bc42f9_c.jpg

27474356895_6a9e749891_c.jpg

Heres another with with a super cover...Wonderworld Comics #28 (1st app of my man U.S. mofo Jones!!!) unfortunately incomplete but like the Weird 20 will do quite nicely as a placeholder until I find a presentable low grader that doesn't cost me a bazillion dollars!! :D

Cool pick up any way you can get it buddy. (thumbs u

Congrats! (thumbs u

Cool stuff.

A couple new Fox Acquisitions...Quite possibly the WEIRDEST copy of Weird Comics #20 in the universe but I really enjoy it...

27403785271_acf8d4ace9_c.jpg

27439917206_3eee88a7c2_c.jpg

Wow, a Churchill & Hitler cover with a Hitler splash page and story to boot. Now, that's must be a rare combination to find! :takeit:

Congrats on your superlative pickups. (thumbs u