• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,050 posts in this topic

Our very own Jeff Shanks (theagenes) is working on a project called SKELOS: A JOURNAL OF WEIRD FICTION AND DARK HORROR.

SKELOS is a horror and fantasy journal featuring short fiction, essays, poetry, reviews, and art by both seasoned pros and talented newcomers.

SKELOS is edited by Mark Finn, author of the World Fantasy Award-nominated BLOOD AND THUNDER; Chris Gruber, editor of Robert E. Howard’s BOXING STORIES from the University of Nebraska Press; and Jeffrey Shanks, co-editor of the Bram Stoker Award-nominated UNIQUE LEGACY OF WEIRD TALES.

Their plan is to make SKELOS the framework for a community of like minded fans, writers, artists, and scholars that love horror fantasy and weird fiction.

The first issues will feature a never before published essay by Robert E. Howard!

I'm really looking forward to this. The first issue will come out this summer, with three additional issues already planned and funded. If you too are interested, please consider supporting the project through their Kickstarter campaign below.

Thanks for looking!

Todd

Kickstarter: www.kickstarter.com/projects/1376036639/skelos-the-journal-of-weird-fiction-and-dark-fanta/

Facebook: www.facebook.com/skelospress/

lw6yfCXh.jpg

uHnwNZLh.jpg

I've posted this before.

But to honor the 80th anniversary of the cover date, I figure people won't be too upset if I show it again:

Astounding_1936_06_zpskig4ozdp.jpg

I'm only upset that I don't have one of these. Super cool piece of pulp history!

And got this pair in the mail just now. Low grade; but even so crazy cheap for the pair.

Weird_Tales_Mar_1939_zpscyovaqfn.jpg

I can't argue with the general agreement that Brundage was the greatest of the Weird Tales cover artists. But Finlay was absolutely amazing as well.

A nice issue featuring a verse from REH, a Lovecraft reprint, and a lot of Finlay interior art as well.

Weird_Tales_Apr_1939_zps3zqaedpr.jpg

Another Finlay cover, a Jirel of Joiry story, and two Lovecraft stories, including the first appearance of "The Evil Clergyman". Which may be the least regarded of all the solo complete Lovecraft stories, but there's no such thing as the first printing of a Lovecraft story that's not a very nice addition to a collection.

I can't argue with the general agreement that Brundage was the greatest of the Weird Tales cover artists. But Finlay was absolutely amazing as well.

I was just thinking the same thing, and generally agree with you.

Curious how other collectors feel that Finlay's covers have fared over time (personally I prefer his interior illustrations over his cover work)?

I was just thinking the same thing, and generally agree with you.

Curious how other collectors feel that Finlay's covers have fared over time (personally I prefer his interior illustrations over his cover work)?

I tend to agree with you on Finlay's interior work over his covers- his style on his B&W work is clearly the baseline a LOT of pulp artists were trying to imitate. His covers don't stand out nearly as much compared to his interiors. With that said, his covers are generally well above the average for pulp covers; it's just that he wasn't clearly the best in the business, unlike his interiors.

I've shown this before, as well, but my favorite Finlay pulp (well, digest) cover:

Galaxy_62_10_zpsoipxzlfk.jpg

I prefer Brundage, St. John, and Rankin's Weird Tales covers over Finlay's covers, but I think Finlay is unsurpassed as far as interior pen and ink work.

Here's a pretty detailed cover he did for the Feb 1937 issue, his first for Weird Tales. But the best part of this particular copy is it's signed! :cloud9:

6e7Ok4qh.jpg

JZwPDlth.jpg

Our very own Jeff Shanks (theagenes) is working on a project called SKELOS: A JOURNAL OF WEIRD FICTION AND DARK HORROR.

SKELOS is a horror and fantasy journal featuring short fiction, essays, poetry, reviews, and art by both seasoned pros and talented newcomers.

SKELOS is edited by Mark Finn, author of the World Fantasy Award-nominated BLOOD AND THUNDER; Chris Gruber, editor of Robert E. Howard’s BOXING STORIES from the University of Nebraska Press; and Jeffrey Shanks, co-editor of the Bram Stoker Award-nominated UNIQUE LEGACY OF WEIRD TALES.

Their plan is to make SKELOS the framework for a community of like minded fans, writers, artists, and scholars that love horror fantasy and weird fiction.

The first issues will feature a never before published essay by Robert E. Howard!

I'm really looking forward to this. The first issue will come out this summer, with three additional issues already planned and funded. If you too are interested, please consider supporting the project through their Kickstarter campaign below.

Thanks for looking!

Todd

Kickstarter: www.kickstarter.com/projects/1376036639/skelos-the-journal-of-weird-fiction-and-dark-fanta/

Facebook: www.facebook.com/skelospress/

lw6yfCXh.jpg

uHnwNZLh.jpg

Thanks for the plug, Todd!

This project is very much a labor of love -- an attempt to bring back a publication like Weird Tales to a modern audience. So far the support on Kickstarter has amazing! Still 24 hours to go!