• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please support me in financing my education - THANKS!
2 2

279 posts in this topic

Personally I'd rather go to a school where I could understand what the instructors were saying.

Personally I'd rather go to a school where I could understand what the instructors were saying.

I'm of the mindset that both are important. The theoretical and the practical. Discussing a technique is beneficial, but so are the actual lived experience. One of my favorite paintings is "Christina's World" here at MoMA. That painting could never have existed if Wyeth had not observed his neighbor and seen her troubles and difficulties. (I believe she had been crippled by polio or some other neuralgic disorder) The piece says so much in its simplicity, says so much about being able to overcome obstacles (that even though she was crippled she still went out and faced life etc.

Just remember it takes a real personality to get noticed and make friends. North Americans tend to try too hard. So tone it town and mediate on how to pick up suble cues.

Common insterests and such can only go so far.

Instruction language is english. The students are from all over the world. Same in Florence...

Edited by Mercurius

70k is chump change for an opportunity to be enlightened. We live for experience, not to hoard money. Motivation comes from within... art is a reaction to to experience. Without experience, what are you trying to say... Look how well I can draw? Lots of people can draw, it's how and what you communicate that matters. If you get fixiated on just drawing, you will fail as an artist. Go the Vienna. Work the system... get funding. Be great. Only people who do nothing have regrets.

(thumbs u

The herd has been trying to get me to obey since day one. Hasn't worked. The best artists seem to be self taught so, logically, isn't the best way to become a great artist to teach yourself?

No.

Anyone who even considers themselves an artist should attend at least one life drawing class in their lifetime. I review portfolios on a daily basis, I can usually tell by looking at someones work if they've had an art education or not. Even if you've never experienced any form of art education, you still need to be improving and practicing, and the only way to do that is learn from others, be that in a class room, in your social circles, in a book or on the internet. If you think you know it all, your art will stagnate.

The best artists seem to be self taught so, logically, isn't the best way to become a great artist to teach yourself?

• Picasso: Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando
  • Giotto di Bondone: Apprenticed with Cimabue at age 10
  • Leonardo da Vinci: apprenticed with Andrea del Verrocchio at 14
  • Paul Cezanne studied at The School of Drawing in Aix
  • Rembrandt apprenticed with both Jacob van Swanenburgh and later Pieter Lastman
  • Kandinsky attended Anton Ažbe's private school and then the Munich Academy of Fine Arts.
  • Claude Monet, maybe the closest to "self taught" though he attended an Art school for his secondary education (think 8th-12th grade), and then when living in Normandy he was mentored by Eugène Boudin

I could keep going.. the point is the best artists might be self taught (initially), but they all REFINED their raw tallent either in schools or by apprenticing under another established artist.

So if it's good enough for Picasso, Rembrandt... and so on...

lol this is just a ridiculous presupposition.

Kav, your opinions are naturally heavily influenced by your own personal experiences of pursuing a career as an artist, but it appears the OP is looking for a different artistic career path than you, so maybe consider offering advice based on what might be best for the OP rather than what has or has not worked for you. Kinda sad that this thread has been more about Kav than the OP.

Chase your dreams in Italy, OP (thumbs u

The best artists seem to be self taught so, logically, isn't the best way to become a great artist to teach yourself?

• Picasso: Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando
  • Giotto di Bondone: Apprenticed with Cimabue at age 10
  • Leonardo da Vinci: apprenticed with Andrea del Verrocchio at 14
  • Paul Cezanne studied at The School of Drawing in Aix
  • Rembrandt apprenticed with both Jacob van Swanenburgh and later Pieter Lastman
  • Kandinsky attended Anton Ažbe's private school and then the Munich Academy of Fine Arts.
  • Claude Monet, maybe the closest to "self taught" though he attended an Art school for his secondary education (think 8th-12th grade), and then when living in Normandy he was mentored by Eugène Boudin

I could keep going.. the point is the best artists might be self taught (initially), but they all REFINED their raw tallent either in schools or by apprenticing under another established artist.

So if it's good enough for Picasso, Rembrandt... and so on...

None of these fools went to American Art schools so this list is BS :sumo:

Just remember it takes a real personality to get noticed and make friends. North Americans tend to try too hard. So tone it town and mediate on how to pick up suble cues.

Is this advice for the boards or art school?

I think I just found the perfect name for my new gym complex.

Is this advice for the boards or art school?

Americans try to hard? Hmmm.

I think the OP should go and do 2 things.

1 - Send Kav a postcard

2 - Get on the list to host Kraven the Hunter and take some nifty pics of him in Vienna and post here.

lol

Just a note: with my post I did not mean to "despise" the experience of time spent in the USA, rather making an observation on how easier would be for someone here in Europe for study to access directly sites and places which have historical significance in terms of art, especially ancient. US libraries have an amazing assortment of incunables and ancient european books, but here it’s often easier, and you can visit exposed writings (mural inscriptions et al.) if you are interested in lettering.

Vienna is such an amazing place that I would go myself to spend some time here if I was younger and more inclined to travel. Travelling today means too much confusion for me that I did not like it much in the first place.

When I visited Los Angeles I loved to imagine how the place must have been in the 1920s and 1930s, when Walt Disney was setting up his animation studios et al.

I only handle general advice. My intelligence disability makes my inability to follow popular opinion, not popular lol

And sorry, I should have stated North Americans for people who think America is the entire world.

In europe, they generally call North Americans, Americans.

I only handle general advice. My intelligence disability makes my inability to follow popular opinion, not popular lol

And sorry, I should have stated North Americans for people who think America is the entire world.

When I'm in Europe I just tell everyone I'm Canadian if they ask me if I'm American.

I then apologize.

When I'm in Europe I just tell everyone I'm Canadian if they ask me if I'm American.

I then apologize.

lol I did that in France. "I am Canadian, sorry". Still got a kiss on the cheek though :blush:

I think the OP should go and do 2 things.

1 - Send Kav a postcard

2 - Get on the list to host Kraven the Hunter and take some nifty pics of him in Vienna and post here.

Tomorrow will be a month since I've heard from Designer Toast about getting Kraven .

The Travels of Kraven thread is going dormant..... ;)