• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR TREK BEYOND (7/22/16)

220 posts in this topic

Saw the trailer today in a theater.....The music is very annoying and doesn't seem to fit what I'm watching

They used the same song two movies ago when they introduced James Kirk as a boy.

Exactly!

Though if they had a good reason for using it - like to revisit his early origins - it would make more sense.

I really want this movie to work, and keep the Star Trek franchise moving forward. But the recent trailer and latest news doesn't come across as a strong follow-up film.

:wishluck:

sz2fiDj.png

First Contact Day -- April 5 -- is the fictional holiday within the Star Trek Universe, celebrating when humans and Vulcans made first contact.

I did not realize that.

Idris Elba Reveals Some Details On His Star Trek Beyond Character Krall

"This is a man with a definite purpose," Elba said. "I say a man, but he's not a man. Or is he?" he continued, trying to be coy.

"What’s interesting about him is that he has a real beef with what the Enterprise stands for. Krall’s a character who’s deeply steeped in hatred — in my opinion, a well-earned hatred — for the Federation," Elba revealed. He said that not everyone in the universe looks at the crew of the Enterprise as "the good guys."

He calls Krall "predatory," not unlike another villain he's playing in theaters now, Shere Khan the menacing tiger in The Jungle Book. He compared Krall and Captain Kirk to "Jaws and Dory."

John Cho says Star Trek Beyond feels like the best of The Original Series

While speaking with Famous Monsters of Filmland, STAR TREK BEYOND star John Cho said that the upcoming film feels much more like The Original Series than either STAR TREK or STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS did.

"When I read the -script, my emotional impression was that it felt very much like the best of the original series. It felt like the series felt to me. And the first [film] that we made didn’t entirely feel like that to me."

"[Justin Lin] cared about the mythology, he cared about the world, he cared about getting it right, he cared about moving the characters forward. … I think we all had question marks; it’s tough to be told that the guy you made two successful movies with isn’t going to be helming the third one. But we were all just really pleasantly surprised as we eased into working with him."

Star Trek Beyond to Feature 50 Different Alien Species

Star Trek hits its 50th anniversary this year. In celebration, Paramount is pulling out all the stops. A new Star Trek series will premiere next year, and Star Trek Beyond hits theaters in a couple of months. Initially, many fans leveled a good deal of criticism against the third reboot after the first teaser leaked online before it was fully completed.

In a recent interview with Wired (via The Playlist), director Justin Lin (Fast & Furious 6) and co-writer Simon Pegg (Montgomery “Scotty” Scott) addressed some of the negativity surrounding the leaked teaser, especially from former Trek star George Takei (Kobo and the Two Strings). Lin, who worked with the actor on Finishing the Game, his Bruce Lee mockumentary, took his criticism heavily – especially in light of Takei’s status as a trailblazing Asian-American actor. The director says, “he was a huge part of my life, so for him to swing a sucker punch, that hurt.”

mRnLO90.png

The presence of fifty alien species sounds a little daunting, but it’s unlikely many of them will have more than a few seconds of facetime. From the first trailer, we already saw what appeared to be a refugee camp or prison colony, so we may get a long pan of dozens of different aliens, including many fan favorites in all likelihood. In addition, rumors have it that the alternate crew will deal with the Federation directly, due to the alien threat posed by Krall (Idris Elba) – who apparently doesn’t much appreciate the Federation or Starfleet’s way of doing things.

This movie seems to get better and better the closer we get to the release.

:applause:

Are the white aliens meant to be the Wraith from Stargate Atlantis, because they sure look like them!

Super-psyched for this movie, the series of them has been excellent.

New Star Trek Beyond Details From Zoe Saldana & Zachary Quinto

According to Saldana, the crew is attacked in the beginning of the film when they are at their most vulnerable. “We’re tired, we need time off, we’ve been working non-stop, and it’s become like a machine where you kind of forget about yourself, but you need to go back home and nurture yourself and rest,” she explained. “Life has a different journey for us, and instead of us having to go out and aid another population, another planet that has been the target of violence, we are the target, so this is very different. We are tested at the craziest level and not just our lives are tested, but our characters and our relationships are tested.”

As for Spock, we'll see him struggling with his obligation to Starfleet and his Vulcan roots. “His planet was destroyed and they’re rebuilding, and he’s trying to figure out where his energy is best directed to help other people," Quinto offered. “He comes into a new awareness of his own mortality for a number of reasons, and there’s a lot of stuff that he’s trying to figure out in this film. By the end, I think he realizes the best path for himself moving forward.”

After the Enterprise is attacked, much of the crew has been scattered across an alien planet, leading to some interesting and unlikely pairings. “We spend a lot of time with unusual compatriots, like Kirk [Chris Pine] and Chekov [Anton Yelchin], Sulu [John Cho] and Uhura, and Spock and Bones [Karl Urban],” Quinto said. “All of us are working to find our way back to one another and to join forces in order to defeat our common adversary.”

I think that is really cool how they are focusing on the realistic experience for the crew in that even they need a break from this non-stop adventure. Otherwise, they lose that polish needed to take on new challenges.

Ubisoft has released the first teaser for Star Trek: Bridge Crew, a VR game that will bring together a number of Star Trek cast members from various generations and iterations of the stories sci-fi franchise.

The trailer, which combines game footage with interviews with the voice cast, debuted today at E3 and then made its way online.