• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men: Apocalypse set for May 27, 2016

1,618 posts in this topic

A friend and me went see this movie today afternoon. What I have seen ... I thought it was not a bad movie what reviews was saying off the newspapers I had read before. Critics :blahblah: can fly to the moon from their arse... I don't care. They are not comic book geeks!

Apocalypse as the villain isn't what I expected from what I had read before. In the movie he as the character... seems bit flat to me? And on Archangel, is bit different but the feathers as blades shooting out of his wings was pretty cool.

Love the great scene by Quicksliver in slo-motion... He stole the show for awhile there. (thumbs u

Story wise what it goes through was ok, along the helicopter ride need some wings clipped down. Nightcrawler did quite good in there. Many scenes I see reminds me of the X - stories I read in the 80/90s. The Weapon X scene was great what I see. Action scenes were great.

Overall, I give the X:A movie 7 out of 10. Maybe a B- grade.

Have you seen the last preview after credits? It hints to the next Wolverine film. For me, I can't wait to see Dr. Strange movie this year! :cloud9:

BOX OFFICE: X-MEN: APOCALYPSE Set For $80 Million Memorial Day Weekend Haul; 20th Century Fox Comments

Both X-Men: Apocalypse and Alice Through the Looking Glass were hurt by negative reviews this weekend, but the Bryan Singer helmed release still had no trouble winning the race to #1 during Memorial Day weekend. After making $65 million over three days, its predicted four day haul is now around the $80 million mark (slightly up from yesterday's estimates of around $76 million).

"We're very happy with this result as we introduce new characters in the X-Men universe," Fox domestic distribution chief Chris Aronson tells The Hollywood Reporter. "And for us to be at this number globally already means we're in good shape."

Hugh Jackman's The Wolverine Initially Had A Much Larger Role In X-Men: Apocalypse

While commercials for X-Men: Apocalypse spoiled a surprise appearance by Hugh Jackman's popular character Wolverine, early drafts of the -script had the clawed Canadian with a much bigger role in the X-Men movie. In an interview with CinemaBlend, producer Simon Kinberg explained that Wolverine originally trained the new generation of X-Men for combat. "There was a version when he was going to come in at the midpoint of the film and be like the drill sergeant for the kids and take over as their leader," said Kinberg.

However, that plan was scrapped as it interfered with the story arc for Jennifer Lawrence's character Mystique, who has become a central figure in the X-Men movie franchise over the last three movies. "We felt like that stepped on [Lawrence's] role in the movie and becoming their leader," Kinberg said.

The Wolverine Cut - I wonder what that movie would have been like.

Hugh Jackman's The Wolverine Initially Had A Much Larger Role In X-Men: Apocalypse

While commercials for X-Men: Apocalypse spoiled a surprise appearance by Hugh Jackman's popular character Wolverine, early drafts of the -script had the clawed Canadian with a much bigger role in the X-Men movie. In an interview with CinemaBlend, producer Simon Kinberg explained that Wolverine originally trained the new generation of X-Men for combat. "There was a version when he was going to come in at the midpoint of the film and be like the drill sergeant for the kids and take over as their leader," said Kinberg.

However, that plan was scrapped as it interfered with the story arc for Jennifer Lawrence's character Mystique, who has become a central figure in the X-Men movie franchise over the last three movies. "We felt like that stepped on [Lawrence's] role in the movie and becoming their leader," Kinberg said.

Here's a good question: Does Wolverine still remember the old universe that was reset by DOFP. The impression i get from the end of that movie is yes, everything that happened in the original movies he has to remember, because otherwise he wouldn't be so surprised to see Jean etc. Or is it, that everything that happens between the end of DOFP in the 70's and the end end of DOFP including what will happen in the next movie, will be lost when he wakes up on that day?

Here's a good question: Does Wolverine still remember the old universe that was reset by DOFP. The impression i get from the end of that movie is yes, everything that happened in the original movies he has to remember, because otherwise he wouldn't be so surprised to see Jean etc. Or is it, that everything that happens between the end of DOFP in the 70's and the end end of DOFP including what will happen in the next movie, will be lost when he wakes up on that day?

I'd think that any memory of events during DOFP would be lost, what to speak of his future memories. There was a point when Kitty Pryde had trouble keeping Wolverine's mind in the past & he woke up not knowing what was going on. Professor X said that he took some bad acid to keep him calm. lol

Liked it a lot. Best CGI superhero power effects ever. Every single character had their best display of powers ever in a film aside from Mystique, who did almost nothing except talk--Magneto by far, Storm, Cyclops, Quicksilver, Jean, Beast, Nightcrawler, Havok, Angel. The effects on Magneto's shield were fricking superlative...been waiting for them to do that since 2000. (worship) Superheroes are fun for action, and this one was full of it. I think it had more than ANY superhero film to date.

Wanted to see more development of Apocalypse...guess I'll have to read the "Rise of Apocalypse" mini-series to get his back story. Although the movie version was different since they said he was tens of thousands of years old.

It's not. I've read every Byrne X-Men and Simonson X-Factor so many times that I've committed them to memory. It's not. There may be a few small nods here and there, but as a whole it's absolutely not. No way.
you haven't seen this movie or have you?

:shrug:

I've watched it twice now. First go-round to enjoy it and the second to pay closer attention and catch things I've missed.

That's two more times than I've seen it, I haven't even made it out to see Civil War yet.

It's not. I've read every Byrne X-Men and Simonson X-Factor so many times that I've committed them to memory. It's not. There may be a few small nods here and there, but as a whole it's absolutely not. No way.

I've watched it twice now. First go-round to enjoy it and the second to pay closer attention and catch things I've missed.

That's two more times than I've seen it, I haven't even made it out to see Civil War yet.

(tsk)

Some unevenness in the pacing of the movie when it switched from Magneto's tragic storyline to some of the action scenes. Overall, I give it 7.5 out of 10. Thought they used too much CGI as I had just re-watched Mad Max: Fury Road on dvd in which George Miller mainly used real cars, trucks, stunt people and acrobats in (thumbs u his chase scenes.

Don't think Jubilee spoke more than 1 line. Was she supposed to be chewing gum all the time? Don't even remember seeing Rogue. Young Jean Grey and Quicksilver scenes were well played.

Movie still made sense by releasing Weapon X but it would have been a VERY long 1980s helicopter ride by Stryker to get from USA to AB, Canada thus lapse in logic. Perhaps astral plane battle is prelude of CGI for Dr Strange movie in Nov, 2016? Can't wait for Dr Strange movie with Cumberbatch, the Ancient One, Mordo, Brother Voodoo, etc. <3

Rogue wasn't in it because she would either not have been born yet or just been born. MOvie takes place in 1983, and she was 17 in the 2000 movie.

She was actually there in the background after the school evacuation. Or at the very least, someone that looked suspiciously like 80's short-ish hair Rogue.

Just saw the movie.

1) Did not like the portrayal of Apocalypse

- Sometimes it felt like he was talking to the X-men as a creepy "sexual predator", something with the dialogue, facial expressions, physical contact with Storm, etc.. -

- Would have rather seen him with more of a serious and combative dialogue like in the comics and the cartoon series.

- Apocalypse was too short and looked funny in his scenes where you saw full body.

3) Archangel was terrible.

4) Wolverine looked funny in the Weapon X outfit. lol

- Also all the X-men movies are really Wolverine movies with X-men cameos. I believe unfortunately Avengers is going that route all Iron Man movies with Avenger cameos.

- I remember when I heard about this X-Men Apocalypse coming out I was thinking "I would be surprised if Wolverine didn't show up in the movie somewhere"

5) This is the first time I had the feeling of being "burned out" by X-men movies...

Looking forward to the Dr. Strange movie though, should be a much better story and minimal comedy, more serious tone.

Edited by 1ForChrist

Bryan Singer Says He's Stepping Away From The X-MEN Franchise, But Not Forever

"I recently met [Oscar-winning director] Danny Boyle -- he and I have known of each other for many years but never met. He was prepping 'Steve Jobs' at the time and I was doing this and he said, 'Are you going to be doing 'X-Men' movies forever?' And I didn’t actually say no. The reality is, even though I’m very desperate to jump to something completely different, I’ve spent so many years in this universe and I love this cast and the characters so much, I just don't see myself abandoning them forever. Perhaps as a consultant, as a producer, even as a director, I could see myself returning in the future. Just right now, once this one is done, I’d like to do something really different."

You're not alone, I've been dying to see Civil War. I'd like to see Apocalypse as well, even if it is not as well received as DOFP.