• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Adele Dazeem :cloud9:

lol

She's wickedly talented, you know... ;)

Well, the girl has to pay the rent. If then, when? :baiting:

Are you quoting Idina movies at me? 11.gif

Musicals, although I guess rent is both movie and musical

lol

My Idina knowledge begins and ends with Frozen. Imagine my surprise when I discovered Elsa was in Glee...

lol

My Idina knowledge begins and ends with Frozen. Imagine my surprise when I discovered Elsa was in Glee...

I've been enchanted with her for a while now. If I ever ran into her, I would ask just a kiss from her. It would be better than kissing Jessica Stein.

lol

I've been enchanted with her for a while now. If I ever ran into her, I would ask just a kiss from her. It would be better than kissing Jessica Stein.

Water lot of titles you got in there... ;)

lol

I've seen her live four times now. Twice on solo tours and twice in the musical If/Then, once during previews and once on Broadway. She's on a whole other level live.

lol

I've seen her live four times now. Twice on solo tours and twice in the musical If/Then, once during previews and once on Broadway. She's on a whole other level live.

(worship)

You realize that polls on a comic book message boards (ie., the most diehard comic fans on the planet) have _zero_ bearing on a film's actual quality and/or public reception, right?

Like -- I'll defend the Watchmen movie to the end of days but it was doomed to critical & commercial mediocrity from the start because the story itself isn't meant to appeal to the masses.

As a comic book geek, I _loved_ it, but there were few, if any, non-comic fans I could recommend it to because of its message and overall worldview.

He made a film for the diehard superhero fans, but in so doing nearly definitionally alienated the public at large.

The reason I don't feel the same way about BvS is that with a few easy tweaks Snyder could have made a film that was leagues better in quality _and_ far more commercially and critically successful.

It boggles my mind how he could have been given such a no-fail concept and a) messed it up so thoroughly and b) been allowed to do so by those in charge at Warner Bros.

Luckily, with the creative shuffle and appointment of Geoff Johns, perhaps DC can prevent such an egregious misfire with the Justice League, etc.

You do realize this is the same statement you have made before about polls being conducted on this forum about rating a movie - though that doesn't mean such polls will cease for some reason. It is comic book fans taking a measure of how they rated a film based on comic books on a comic book forum. So that is the real measure.

Now as far as the Watchmen goes, I think Nolan hit it on the head why it wasn't a success across the general market. They were not steeped enough yet on the superhero genre to then appreciate the anti-hero them.

I wonder if Watchmen would ever make sense to re-release again at a certain point? Maybe as a tenth year anniversary. Or sooner due to Rebirth.

When that article made it to comicbookmovie.com (usually a strong Marvel presence there), folks had fun with it in the comments section.

BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE Star Jeremy Irons Says Movie Got "Deserved Kicking" From Critics

I dislike BvS as much as the next guy, but come on Irons...

p159757_p_v8_ap.jpg

p26702_p_v8_ak.jpg

Irons is like nah we ain't done yet lol!

350x700px-LL-25ed03aa_88611-beating-dead-horse-gif-South-P-ZqEc.gif

Woah, didn't expect him to say that kind of stuff about the movie.

dnd22.gif

lol

Water lot of titles you got in there... ;)

hm "Water?" Gonna have to look for that one.

It's no secret that Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice was massacred by critics on release. But what does franchise Oscar-winning star Jeremy Irons had to say about it? When confronted by the fact that his movie got a ruthless kicking by critics, he said, "Deservedly so. I mean it took £800 million, so the kicking didn’t matter but it was sort of overstuffed…" He went on to add, "It was very muddled. I think the next one will be simpler. The -script is certainly a lot smaller, it’s more linear," offering some hope that the next DCEU film could perhaps be a littler better. As for what's in it for him he frankly said, "I’m tied into The Batman at the minute [the next instalment, Justice League Part One, is due next year], which is nice because it’s a bit of income… Not that I need a bit of income but it’s nice to keep ticking over."

hm

Why didn't they include that all important leading question in the article? ...

"So ahh, Jeremy, tell us, your movie got a ruthless kicking by the critics. What do you think about that...?"

Because that wasn't the question asked. Leading "ruthless kicking" into Irons' response is just another example of negative spin within the media.

Anyway... back to ol' Jezza. Careful chap. Those parts don't come along as often as they used to... ;)

Why didn't they include that all important leading question in the article? ...

"So ahh, Jeremy, tell us, your movie got a ruthless kicking by the critics. What do you think about that...?"

Because that wasn't the question asked. Leading "ruthless kicking" into Irons' response is just another example of negative spin within the media.

Anyway... back to ol' Jezza. Careful chap. Those parts don't come along as often as they used to... ;)

That's a really good point! Here is the actual interview.

Jeremy Irons says he'd never accept a knighthood because he already has more money and fame than he deserves

‘Really, ambition has gone,’ he insists. ‘I look for things that tickle my fancy. You begin to see the end of life on the horizon. You think, “It’s not going on for ever, this. Let’s make the most of what time I have left.”’

That gives him the freedom to be entertainingly frank, starting with his most recent film, Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice, in which he played the loyal British butler Alfred. It was popular at the box office but got an absolute kicking from the critics.

‘Deservedly so. I mean it took £800 million, so the kicking didn’t matter but it was sort of overstuffed…’

He lets those words hang in the air, then laughs at the thought of a film described by one critic as the most incoherent blockbuster in years.

‘It was very muddled. I think the next one will be simpler. The -script is certainly a lot smaller, it’s more linear.’

There’s no getting out of it now.

‘I’m tied into The Batman at the minute [the next installment, Justice League Part One, is due next year], which is nice because it’s a bit of income…’

It reads as if Irons was responding to the statement, "It was popular at the box office..." and he is saying, "Deservedly so. I mean it took in £800 million..." and that is why he closes with, "...so the kicking didn’t matter."

doh!

Zp7oo2aB.gif

That is tricky!

You realize that polls on a comic book message boards (ie., the most diehard comic fans on the planet) have _zero_ bearing on a film's actual quality and/or public reception, right?

Like -- I'll defend the Watchmen movie to the end of days but it was doomed to critical & commercial mediocrity from the start because the story itself isn't meant to appeal to the masses.

As a comic book geek, I _loved_ it, but there were few, if any, non-comic fans I could recommend it to because of its message and overall worldview.

He made a film for the diehard superhero fans, but in so doing nearly definitionally alienated the public at large.

The reason I don't feel the same way about BvS is that with a few easy tweaks Snyder could have made a film that was leagues better in quality _and_ far more commercially and critically successful.

It boggles my mind how he could have been given such a no-fail concept and a) messed it up so thoroughly and b) been allowed to do so by those in charge at Warner Bros.

Luckily, with the creative shuffle and appointment of Geoff Johns, perhaps DC can prevent such an egregious misfire with the Justice League, etc.

I think many people are putting a lot of faith in Geoff Johns. He was consultant for the Green Lantern movie and look how that turned out.