• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash Comics Journal
3 3

316 posts in this topic

This is the hardest issue in the 104 run to track down. I have only seen two other copies in similar condition available in the past five years.

I've seen just one copy of FL 96 in the last 5 years, and passed on it because it was too brown - still need one for my collection.

Issue #96June 1948Rating: 5photo Flash96a_zpsxquzfstu.jpg

Black Canary in "The Riddle of the Topaz Brooch" by Kanigher, pencils by Infantino, inks by Joe Giella; Hawkman in "Return of the Centaurs" by John Broome and Kubert.Flash stars in "The Flash and the Thorn-Stalk," by Robert Kanigher, art by Joe Kubert. Ghost Patrol in "The 'Spectacular' Crimes" written John Broome, pencils by Carmine Infantino, inks by Frank Giacoia

This is the hardest issue in the 104 run to track down. I have only seen two other copies in similar condition available in the past five years.

I agree with your assessment. This is the toughest of the run. Maybe one of the toughest mainstream issues of the Golden Age. I've seen 5 copies in 5 years (1.8, 3.0, 6.5Q, 7.0, 9.0) -- and that includes turning over every stone I could. I had a three year period where I saw no, zero, zilch copies. Glad you got yours. Excellent.I finished my Flash Comics run, by the way, tabcom. Seemed like the impossible quest, when I started. Edited by BarristerBaker

I agree with your assessment. This is the toughest of the run. Maybe one of the toughest mainstream issues of the Golden Age. I've seen 5 copies in 5 years (1.8, 3.0, 6.5Q, 7.0, 9.0) -- and that includes turning over every stone I could. I had a three year period where I saw no, zero, zilch copies.

Glad you got yours. Excellent.

I finished my Flash Comics run, by the way, tabcom. Seemed like the impossible quest, when I started.

:applause:

Glad I could help out on a couple issues. (thumbs u

Once I hit #104, I have supplemental entries to make in the Journal.

Issue #97July 1948Rating: 5

photo flash97_zpssyxwkcby.png

Cover by Irwin Hasen. Lee Elias credited for art on the Flash, Carmine Infantino Ghost Patrol and Black Canary, Joe Kubert Hawkman (and Hawkgirl), Paul Reinman for Atom.Robert Kanigher scripts Flash, Hawkman, and Black Canary.

With a cover date stamp of May 11, 1948, two weeks later, the Film Noir Classic 'Raw Deal' was released.

Flash story is one of the all time best (and lost to several generations of comic book lovers). Joan Williams (Flash's girl friend) takes a trip into the twilight zone and with the help of the Flash, regains her sanity. I'm going to reprint the story in its entirety at a later date.

photo flash97c_zpsxodoyffu.jpg

Generally, GA stories use the artwork as window dressing. With Paul Reinman's art, the words take a backseat to the action.

photo flash9713_zpspufzaz4h.jpg

For a seven pager, this Black Canary strip packs the action.

photo flash9714_zpstlrepqeo.jpg

Edited by tabcom

Issue #98August 1948Rating: 5photo Flash98001_zpsd507111c.jpg

Although the art work and scripts have evolved to a new level, the stories are anchored to the typical GA superhero exploits. The clock is beginning to tick to the end of the GA.

photo Flash98003_zps8c10dad8.jpgIf the Hawkman roamed the skies of Gotham City, why no encounter with the Batman?photo Flash98004_zpsb81288d2.jpgphoto Flash98005_zps61c039f0.jpgphoto Flash98007_zpse23c6c16.jpgThe Atom deserves honorable mention in this issue.photo Flash98008_zps21aa0dc3.jpgBlack Canary -script is well worn, but looks good.photo Flash98006_zpsbae8598e.jpgI should do a black-jack to the back of the heros head count sometime.

Edited by tabcom

Issue #99Sept. 1948Rating: 5photo Flash99002_zps8c99c631.jpg

Carmine Infantino is credited for the cover. Lee Elias art in the Flash. Infantino art in the Ghost Patrol and Black Canary. Kubert art in the Hawkman. Paul Reinman, who is best known for the Green Lantern, does a fine job with the Atom. Martin Naydel who is best as a cartoonist does the two page Flash Facts filler pages.

photo Flash99004_zps26e4308c.jpgJay is now officially a criminal forensics expert. Now we have the source material for his SA counterpart, Barry Allen choice of career.These house ads foreshadow the new trend in comics away from the Superhero genre . . . photo Flash99006_zpsddcf9916.jpgphoto Flash99005_zps6f775b49.jpgphoto Flash99007_zpscd5e85df.jpg

Issue #100

Sept. 1948

Rating: 5

photo Flash100001_zps0f021d14.jpg

The Kubert (Hawkman) and Infantino (Flash, Ghost Patrol, Black Canary) art in these stories makes for a quick fluid read. Dialogue is mostly window dressing. Even the Paul Reinman\Bob Oksner work with the 5pcs. Atom filler is respectful.

photo Flash100003_zps23106d32.jpg

photo Flash100005_zpsd01e2860.jpg

photo Flash100004_zps9b09979f.jpg

photo Flash100002_zps60b473fe.jpg

The following newsreel from 1948 stirs the fear pot of "Hitler Werwolf Gangs" lurking to retake Germany.

Edited by tabcom

Issue #101

Nov. 1948

photo flash10109_zps48756c8b.jpgCover and Flash story inks credited to Bernard Sachs. The Atom is dropped. A text story and a couple pages of cartoon gags by Martin Naydel are added.

photo Flash 101a_zpsp22wmbww.jpg

This fledgling pre-SA style Flash story, scripted by John Broome , is unique in that it substitutes cops-n-robbers cliches for a sci-fi adventure. Broome would go on to write the very first SA Flash time travel story in "The Man Who Broke the Time Barrier!", in Showcase #4 (along with Infantino and Kubert). Carmine Infantino and Bernard Sachs superb work in the GA Flash vision of time travel makes this one of the truly lost gems of the GA.

photo Flash 101b-1_zpsn0e130kz.jpg

The following panel brings to mind the outstanding work of a future Joe Kubert on the Viking Prince strip of the mid-fifties in The Brave And The Bold. In that strip, the Viking Prince spends a lot of time sailing the North Sea.

photo Flash 101c_zpsxlgb8evc.jpgphoto Flash 101c-1_zpsnepky9dg.jpg

The kid friendly roller coaster ride does create a sense of vertigo. This issue exhibits glimpses of the future for comics, and the death spasms of the past for the superhero genre. An Ectroplasmic Magnet???

photo Flash 101c-2_zpshyfwj0za.jpg

How many times has Batman and Robin found themselves in this exact situation?

photo Flash 101c-3_zpsmcygperz.jpg

Bernard Sachs gets a well deserved feature in the Nov. 2013 issue (#121) of Alter Ego fanzine. More to come in a future post. photo Flash 101c-4_zpsvnfxrgkf.jpg

Issue #102

Dec. 1948

photo flash102_zpsprcfawnp.jpg

Joe Kubert cover. Alex Toth is credited with pencils on the Flash. Robert Kanigher (-script), Carmine Infantino (Pencils), and Bernard Sachs (Inks) presents an outstanding Black Canary story in this issue.

photo flash102bc_zpsvjixv07b.jpg

photo flash102bc-1_zpswydx4udw.jpg

photo flash102bc-2_zpsjdkshv7y.jpg

photo flash102bc-3_zpscfgcc6li.jpg

photo flash102bc-4_zpsbqjwpsoe.jpg

photo flash102bc-5_zpsnvdgf1i7.jpg

photo flash102bc-6_zpsgdlxemk1.jpg

By the end of 1948, comics were evolving. So was Jazz.

With the Jazz soundtrack combined with the silent film of the streets of New York in 1948, it helps in understanding from where comics found their inspiration.

Issue #103

Jan. 1949

Rating: 4

photo FLash103_zpstivml1ss.jpg

The penultimate issue of the series is routine for the genre.

Outline for a GA comic strip:

1. Bad guys do something bad.

2. Hero\Heroine investigate the clues.

3. Hero\Heroine stumble into a trap.

4. Hero\Heroine gets free.

5. Bad guys get caught.

Step #3 for this issue:

photo FLash103a_zpsqmzyoyxn.jpg

photo FLash103c_zpss35mi48c.jpg

photo FLash103d_zpsotesexcx.jpg

photo FLash103f_zpso0zq1nvw.jpg

photo FLash103e_zpswtojfala.jpg