• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC & Marvel movie road ahead - 2015 to 2020
1 1

548 posts in this topic

Out of the movies coming out this year still, I'm looking forward to:

May 6, 2016 – Captain America: Civil War

May 27, 2016 – X-Men: Apocalypse

July 22, 2016 – Star Trek Beyond

August 5, 2016 – Suicide Squad (directed by David Ayers)

October 21, 2016 – Underworld 5

November 4, 2016 – Doctor Strange

December 16, 2016 – Star Wars: Rogue One

I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed by X-Men: Apocalypse and Star Trek Beyond from what I've seen so far, but I'm trying to stay optimistic. This has to be one of the least interesting years for genre movies in a while. Usually there are a dozen of these types of movies I'm interested in, but this year, the selection is underwhelming IMHO. Captain America: Civil War, Suicide Squad, and Star Wars: Rogue One are going to do well. Underworld 5 is a guilty pleasure of mine and Kate Beckinsale is :cloud9: Doctor Strange is an unknown, but Marvel has a solid track record, so I'm at least interested in seeing how they handle the character.

I know my wife was confused about this Star Wars: Rogue One movie when I showed her the trailer. I think Disney is going to have to brand this properly for the non-geek fans. My wife asked me what happened to the characters from Episode VII. I had to explain this is a Star Wars movie, but not a followup to TFA. I don't think the byline "A Star Wars Story" is sufficient for the average movie going public. It is an interesting dilemma.

What is everyone else looking forward to seeing?

Edited by rjrjr

needed no remakes.....all of Heston's stuff gets remade....Planet of the Apes, Moses and the Red Sea, Ben Hur. You'd think he was Corey Feldman and not one of the best actors in the 20th century.

What's next, Soylent Green?

:ohnoez: SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!!! :ohnoez:

Spoilers (tsk)

I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed by X-Men: Apocalypse and Star Trek Beyond from what I've seen so far, but I'm trying to stay optimistic. This has to be one of the least interesting years for genre movies in a while. Usually there are a dozen of these types of movies I'm interested in, but this year, the selection is underwhelming IMHO. Captain America: Civil War, Suicide Squad, and Star Wars: Rogue One are going to do well. Underworld 5 is a guilty pleasure of mine and Kate Beckinsale is :cloud9: Doctor Strange is an unknown, but Marvel has a solid track record, so I'm at least interested in seeing how they handle the character.

I know my wife was confused about this Star Wars: Rogue One movie when I showed her the trailer. I think Disney is going to have to brand this properly for the non-geek fans. My wife asked me what happened to the characters from Episode VII. I had to explain this is a Star Wars movie, but not a followup to TFA. I don't think the byline "A Star Wars Story" is sufficient for the average movie going public. It is an interesting dilemma.

And that is what this thread has blossomed into - discussing which movies could potentially cause DC or Marvel movie distraction with movie-goers. Along with discussing the core DC-Marvel movies.

:applause:

June 17, 2016 – Finding Dory (Disney)

July 1, 2016 – The Legend of Tarzan

October 21, 2016 – Jack Reacher: Never Go Back

December 21, 2016 – Assassin's Creed

Kevin Feige Confirms That Marvel Is "Committing" To A Standalone BLACK WIDOW Movie

Kevin Feige revealed in an interview with Deadline that they are indeed in the early stages of developing a solo outing for her.

That reveal came when he was asked about the chances of supporting players like Black Widow, Hawkeye, The Falcon, and War Machine getting their own movies, with the Marvel Studios President responding: "We’ve announced the next nine movies, ten counting Civil War, through the end of 2019. Where we go beyond that are ongoing discussions that we’ll focus on in the next few years because we have a lot to do before then. Of the characters that you’ve just mentioned I would say certainly the one creatively and emotionally that we are most committing to doing is Black Widow." That's great news, but it doesn't sound as if this movie will be released until Phase 4 unfortunately.

Pushed for details on why Black Widow is a priority, Feige went on to explain what makes the assassin turned S.H.I.E.L.D. agent turned Avenger somone worth focusing on. "We think she’s an amazing character. We think Scarlett Johansson’s portrayal of her is amazing. She’s a lead Avenger and has amazing stories in her own right to tell that we think would be fun to turn into a standalone franchise."

:news:Update: Warner has changed some movie release dates, impacting Green Lantern Corps, Godzilla 2 and then Godzilla vs. King Kong. :news:

GREEN LANTERN CORPS Delayed By Warner Bros.; GODZILLA 2 And GODZILLA VS. KONG Get New Release Dates

• May 13, 2016 – Money Monster (George Clooney, Julia Roberts)
  • May 20, 2016 – Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising
  • May 20, 2016 – The Angry Birds Movie
  • May 27, 2016 – X-Men: Apocalypse
  • May 27, 2016 – Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass
  • June 3, 2016 – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
  • June 10, 2016 – Warcraft
  • June 17, 2016 – Central Intelligence (Dwayne Johnson)
  • June 17, 2016 – Finding Dory (Disney)
  • June 24, 2016 – Independence Day: Resurgence
  • July 1, 2016 – The Legend of Tarzan
  • July 15, 2016 – Ghostbusters
  • July 22, 2016 – Star Trek Beyond
  • July 29, 2016 – Jason Bourne
  • August 5, 2016 – Suicide Squad (directed by David Ayers)
  • August 5, 2016 – The Founder (Michael Keaton's take on McDonald's founder)
  • August 12, 2016 – Pete's Dragon (Disney)
  • August 19, 2016 – Ben-Hur (2016)
  • September 16, 2016 – Snowden
  • September 23, 2016 – The Magnificent Seven
  • October 21, 2016 – Underworld 5
  • October 21, 2016 – Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
  • November 4, 2016 – Doctor Strange
  • November 23, 2016 – Moana (Disney)
  • December 16, 2016 – Star Wars: Rogue One
  • December 21, 2016 – Assassin's Creed

• 2017 – Bloodshot
  • 2017 – Gambit (Fox)
  • January 27, 2017 – Resident Evil 6
  • February 10, 2017 – The LEGO Batman Movie
  • February 10, 2017 – John Wick 2
  • February 17, 2017 – Stephen King's The Dark Tower
  • March 3, 2017 – Wolverine 3 (Untitled)
  • March 10, 2017 – Kong: Skull Island
  • March 24, 2017 – The Mummy
  • April 14, 2017 – Fast and Furious 8
  • May 5, 2017 – Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  • May 26, 2017 – Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
  • June 2, 2017 – Wonder Woman
  • June 16, 2017 – Kingsman: Secret Service 2
  • June 23, 2017 – Transformers 5
  • July 7, 2017 – Spectacular Spider-Man (Marvel/Sony)
  • July 17, 2017 – Planet of the Apes 3
  • July 28, 2017 – Jumanji
  • August 4th, 2017 - Pacific Rim 2
  • October 6: 2017 - Alien: Covenant
  • October 6: 2017 – Blade Runner 2
  • November 3, 2017 - Thor: Ragnarok!
  • November 17, 2017 - Justice League, Part One
  • December 15, 2017 – Star Wars: Episode VIII

• March 2, 2018 – The Predator
  • March 16, 2018 – The Flash (starring Ezra Miller)
  • April 13, 2018 – The Wolf Man (Universal)
  • May 4, 2018 - Avengers: Infinity War, Part 1
  • May 18, 2018 – The LEGO Movie 2
  • May 25, 2018 – Star Wars: Han Solo
  • June 8, 2018 - Transformers 6 (Bumblebee spin-off)
  • June 15, 2018 - Toy Story 4
  • July 6, 2018 - Black Panther
  • July 13, 2018 – Untitled Fox/Marvel (Deadpool 2, New Mutants, X-Force, X-men?)
  • July 20, 2018 – Animated Spider-Man (Sony)
  • July 27, 2018 – Aquaman (starring Jason Mamoa)
  • June 29, 2018 – How To Train Your Dragon 3
  • October 5, 2018 – Untitled DCU film (TBD)
  • November 2, 2018 - Captain Marvel (Marvel)

• 2019 – Star Wars: Episode IX
  • March 22, 2019 – Godzilla 2
  • April 5, 2019 – Shazam (starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson)
  • April 19, 2019 – Fast and Furious 9
  • May 3, 2019 - Avengers: Infinity War, Part 2
  • June 14, 2019 – Justice League, Part Two
  • June 21, 2019 – The Incredibles 2
  • June 28, 2019 – Transformers 7
  • July 19, 2019 - Indiana Jones 5
  • November 1, 2019 - Untitled DCU film (TBD)

• April 3, 2020 – Cyborg (starring Ray Fisher)
  • May 29, 2020 – Godzilla vs. King Kong
  • July 24, 2020 – Green Lantern Corps

• April 2, 2021 – Fast and Furious 10

What we have ahead of us this year.

ANGRY BIRDS #1 Domestically, 'Captain America' Tops $1 Billion and It's 'Apocalypse' Overseas

Sony's The Angry Birds Movie took the number one spot at the domestic box office this weekend, pushing two-time champion, Captain America: Civil War, to second place as it begins its third week in release. Civil War's weekend, however, wasn't only about the domestic box office as it has now become the first 2016 release to cross $1 billion worldwide, doing so in just 24 days of global release. The weekend's two other new wide releases, Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising and The Nice Guys, finished in third and fourth position respectively. Also, X-Men: Apocalypse launched overseas one week ahead of its domestic debut and hauled in over $100 million.

Finishing second for the weekend, Disney's Captain America: Civil War brought in an estimated $33.1 million, bringing its domestic cume to $347.3 million. It's a slightly larger weekend-to-weekend drop than expected as it is becoming a little more apparent Marvel films may have established something of a ceiling with the massive numbers delivered by The Avengers in 2012. But that's not to diminish Civil War's overall performance as it is now the fourth highest grossing Marvel Cinematic Universe release domestically, fourth film in the MCU to cross $1 billion worldwide and the 19th highest grossing worldwide release of all-time.

Angry Birds. Who saw that coming?

The Legend of Tarzan

Suicide Squad(Just for more Ben Affleck Batman)

Doctor Strange

Assassin`s Creed

and

ANGRY BIRDS #1 Domestically, 'Captain America' Tops $1 Billion and It's 'Apocalypse' Overseas

Sony's The Angry Birds Movie took the number one spot at the domestic box office this weekend, pushing two-time champion, Captain America: Civil War, to second place as it begins its third week in release. Civil War's weekend, however, wasn't only about the domestic box office as it has now become the first 2016 release to cross $1 billion worldwide, doing so in just 24 days of global release. The weekend's two other new wide releases, Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising and The Nice Guys, finished in third and fourth position respectively. Also, X-Men: Apocalypse launched overseas one week ahead of its domestic debut and hauled in over $100 million.

Finishing second for the weekend, Disney's Captain America: Civil War brought in an estimated $33.1 million, bringing its domestic cume to $347.3 million. It's a slightly larger weekend-to-weekend drop than expected as it is becoming a little more apparent Marvel films may have established something of a ceiling with the massive numbers delivered by The Avengers in 2012. But that's not to diminish Civil War's overall performance as it is now the fourth highest grossing Marvel Cinematic Universe release domestically, fourth film in the MCU to cross $1 billion worldwide and the 19th highest grossing worldwide release of all-time.

Angry Birds. Who saw that coming?

Parents everywhere. :devil:

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros. And DC Are Considering Multiple Suicide Squad Spinoffs

So far, all signs point to Suicide Squad being a hit. Early reactions to the film have been overwhelmingly positive, calling it “insane” and “amazing,” and we already know that the studio has ordered up a Harley Quinn spinoff, which is a definite sign that they have confidence in both Ayer’s film and that audiences will resonate with it. But what else are DC and Warner Bros. cooking up in regards to Task Force X? Well, according to our source, they’re actually cooking up quite a lot:

“They’re going to do a sequel for sure, and the recently announced spinoff with Margot Robbie has got everyone excited, too, but their plans don’t end there. The studio is feeling very confident in the property. They think it’s going to be a really big hit and they think audiences are going to fall in love with these characters.

I’ve heard more than a few talks of giving some of the other Task Force X members their own spinoffs, and like the Harley Quinn one, these films would open the door for a ton of new DC characters to show up.

The Joker is a definite possibility for a spinoff, and Jared [Leto] seems up for it from what I’ve been told. They’re also really hot on Jai Courtney’s character Boomerang right now. Nothing’s set in stone yet, but you’re definitely going to be seeing a lot more of these guys in the years to come.”

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros. And DC Are Considering Multiple Suicide Squad Spinoffs

So far, all signs point to Suicide Squad being a hit. Early reactions to the film have been overwhelmingly positive, calling it “insane” and “amazing,” and we already know that the studio has ordered up a Harley Quinn spinoff, which is a definite sign that they have confidence in both Ayer’s film and that audiences will resonate with it. But what else are DC and Warner Bros. cooking up in regards to Task Force X? Well, according to our source, they’re actually cooking up quite a lot:

“They’re going to do a sequel for sure, and the recently announced spinoff with Margot Robbie has got everyone excited, too, but their plans don’t end there. The studio is feeling very confident in the property. They think it’s going to be a really big hit and they think audiences are going to fall in love with these characters.

I’ve heard more than a few talks of giving some of the other Task Force X members their own spinoffs, and like the Harley Quinn one, these films would open the door for a ton of new DC characters to show up.

The Joker is a definite possibility for a spinoff, and Jared [Leto] seems up for it from what I’ve been told. They’re also really hot on Jai Courtney’s character Boomerang right now. Nothing’s set in stone yet, but you’re definitely going to be seeing a lot more of these guys in the years to come.”

I wonder if this gets a bump now?

d5b20b0735a2edac66ffce19fdec86bd_xl.jpg

Fox Shifts Release Dates Of Two UNTITLED MARVEL MOVIES And Shane Black's PREDATOR

2017 will see the release of The Wolverine 3 and Gambit (well, maybe), but we still have no idea what their two mystery Marvel adaptations set for 2018 are. Another X-Men movie - directed by someone other than Bryan Singer, who will be busy with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - and Deadpool seem like the most likely options of course, but both have had their release dates changed.

Whatever they may be, one Untitled Fox/Marvel Movie has shifted from January 12th, 2018 to March 2nd, 2018, while the other has been brought forward from July 13th, 2018 to June 29th, 2018. Two other possibilities for these movies are New Mutants and X-Force, and we'll hopefully hear something official from the studio on these soon as they remain a complete mystery as of right now.

In other release date news, Shane Black's The Predator has jumped from March 2nd, 2018 to slightly earlier on February 9th, 2018, while Alita: Battle Angel has been dated for July 20th, that same year.

:news:Update: Adjusted Fox release dates based on recent schedule changes. :news:

Fox Shifts Release Dates Of Two UNTITLED MARVEL MOVIES And Shane Black's PREDATOR

• May 13, 2016 – Money Monster (George Clooney, Julia Roberts)

• 2017 – Bloodshot
  • 2017 – Gambit (Fox)
  • January 27, 2017 – Resident Evil 6
  • February 10, 2017 – The LEGO Batman Movie
  • February 10, 2017 – John Wick 2
  • February 17, 2017 – Stephen King's The Dark Tower
  • March 3, 2017 – Wolverine 3 (Untitled)
  • March 10, 2017 – Kong: Skull Island
  • March 24, 2017 – The Mummy
  • April 14, 2017 – Fast and Furious 8
  • May 5, 2017 – Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  • May 26, 2017 – Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
  • June 2, 2017 – Wonder Woman
  • June 16, 2017 – Kingsman: Secret Service 2
  • June 23, 2017 – Transformers 5
  • July 7, 2017 – Spectacular Spider-Man (Marvel/Sony)
  • July 17, 2017 – Planet of the Apes 3
  • July 28, 2017 – Jumanji
  • August 4th, 2017 - Pacific Rim 2
  • October 6: 2017 - Alien: Covenant
  • October 6: 2017 – Blade Runner 2
  • November 3, 2017 - Thor: Ragnarok!
  • November 17, 2017 - Justice League, Part One
  • December 15, 2017 – Star Wars: Episode VIII

• February 9, 2018 – The Predator
  • March 2, 2018 – Untitled Fox/Marvel #1 (Deadpool 2, New Mutants, X-Force, X-men?)
  • March 16, 2018 – The Flash (starring Ezra Miller)
  • April 13, 2018 – The Wolf Man (Universal)
  • May 4, 2018 - Avengers: Infinity War, Part 1
  • May 18, 2018 – The LEGO Movie 2
  • May 25, 2018 – Star Wars: Han Solo
  • June 8, 2018 - Transformers 6 (Bumblebee spin-off)
  • June 15, 2018 - Toy Story 4
  • June 29, 2018 – Untitled Fox/Marvel #2 (Deadpool 2, New Mutants, X-Force, X-men?)
  • July 6, 2018 - Black Panther
  • July 20, 2018 – Animated Spider-Man (Sony)
  • July 27, 2018 – Aquaman (starring Jason Mamoa)
  • June 29, 2018 – How To Train Your Dragon 3
  • October 5, 2018 – Untitled DCU film (TBD)
  • November 2, 2018 - Captain Marvel (Marvel)

• 2019 – Star Wars: Episode IX
  • March 22, 2019 – Godzilla 2
  • April 5, 2019 – Shazam (starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson)
  • April 19, 2019 – Fast and Furious 9
  • May 3, 2019 - Avengers: Infinity War, Part 2
  • June 14, 2019 – Justice League, Part Two
  • June 21, 2019 – The Incredibles 2
  • June 28, 2019 – Transformers 7
  • July 19, 2019 - Indiana Jones 5
  • November 1, 2019 - Untitled DCU film (TBD)

• April 3, 2020 – Cyborg (starring Ray Fisher)
  • May 29, 2020 – Godzilla vs. King Kong
  • July 24, 2020 – Green Lantern Corps

• April 2, 2021 – Fast and Furious 10

‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Nets $35.2M; ‘X-Men’ Down Sharply To $22.3M

Paramount’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows took first place at the box office this weekend with an estimated $35.25 million, though representing a huge decline over its prequel. The fantasy action sequel starring Megan Fox started on Friday with $12.5 million (including $2.0 million from Thursday night previews), increased 4 percent to $13.00 million on Saturday, and declined 25 percent on Sunday to $9.75 million. This places its 3-day weekend to Friday ratio at an estimated 2.82 to 1.

Yet despite its first place finish, the box office includes some disappointing statistics as well. Adjusted for inflation, Out of the Shadows had the all-time worst opening weekend for a film opening in 4,000+ theaters, below the previous low of 2013’s Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2. Shadows also starts 46.2 percent behind the $65.57 million opening of its prequel, 2014’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles — and that film opened in August, when films usually open lower than they do in June. In fact, adjusted for inflation, Shadows opened below the openings for 1990’s original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and 1991’s sequel Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II. Shadows did at least start 45.3 percent higher than the $24.25 million opening weekend of 2007’s TMNT, the failed first attempt to reboot the franchise.

Fox’s X-Men: Apocalypse took second place with an estimated $22.32 million. The superhero sequel starring Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, and Oscar Isaac was down a sharp 66.0 percent from last weekend (or 72.0 percent relative to last weekend’s four-day grosses including Memorial Day). The decline was higher than the second-weekend drops of 64.2 percent for 2014’s X-Men: Days of Future Past and 56.2 percent for 2011’s X-Men: First Class. Apocalypse has now earned $116.49 million through 10 days of release, which is 28.0 percent behind the $162.02 million 10-day start of Days but 18.8 percent of the $98.02 million 10-day take of First Class.

2016 is coming in with some eye-opening results. And not in a good way.

:ohnoez: