• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,827 posts in this topic

Here are a couple of goodies that you don't see everyday: Canadian/Superior Publications versions of Complete Mystery # 1 and 4. I've had the # 1 for a few years and never thought I would have a chance to purchase any of the others in the series until a couple of weeks ago. I suspect it will be a long wait for issues 2 and 3.

162604.jpg.9d316ae4f3da3a03cc98951d6b03a320.jpg

Edited by ecgt

Canada's first comic book, Better Comics Vol. 1 No. 1 (March 1941) has just gone up on ICE Exchange: http://www.icomicexchange.com/product/better-comics-1

for $100,000 US.

Here is the press release:

Best Copy of First Canadian Comic Book offered for Sale at Record Price!

On June 1st the Hamilton, Ontario based International Comic Exchange, also known as ICE (icomicexchange.com) listed the best graded copy of Better Comics #1 from March 1941

Better Comics #1 was published by Vancouver’s Maple Leaf Publishing in response to the Canadian government’s implementation in December 1940 of the War Exchange Conservation Act (WECA). The WECA bill banned all no essential imports, included American comic books, to support the war economy.

Maple Leaf Publishing’s Better Comics #1 gave birth to a vibrant and large Canadian comic book publishing industry that flourished during the war years, by 1943 there were 4 publishers printing dozens of titles. WECA was repealed in 1946 and the Canadian Comic Book industry quickly died off.

Comics from this era are known in the collecting community as Canadian Whites (because they were printed in black and white) and are extremely rare. This copy of Better Comics #1 has been graded by CGC at 7.0 sharing the honor of best graded copy with another CGC 7.0. As of this listing less than 10 copies of Better Comics #1 are known to exist. ICE administrator, Marty Birthelmer, adds “we’re thrilled to list this historic 1st Canadian comic book for sale and we look forward to displaying it for all to see in Niagara Falls on June 4th”.

The Better Comics #1 listing on the ICE comic exchange is the 1st graded copy ever offered for sale and its price at $100,000 USD makes it the most expensive graded Canadian Comic ever listed for sale.

The listing is timed to coincide with 75th Anniversary of Canadian Comics celebrations planned for June 4th 2016 in Niagara Falls, ON. Big B Comics and Chapterhouse Publishing will host the celebrations Saturday June 4th from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm at Big B’s store on 6465 Lundy’s Lane, Niagara Falls, ON. The Better Comics #1 will be on display. The Anniversary celebrations coincide with the Niagara Comic Con being held at the Scotiabank Convention Center from June 3rd to June 5th.

Just got this this week; unlike other books I've seen with the Four Star brand this one was actually printed & published in Canada even if Superior hadn't officially taken over the title:

Aggie_Mack_1_zpsjfknyaxv.jpg

Love those. Here is one of mine Canadian with a Feldstein story.

comaggiemack8_zpsdnn23uvn.jpg

Canada's first comic book, Better Comics Vol. 1 No. 1 (March 1941) has just gone up on ICE Exchange: http://www.icomicexchange.com/product/better-comics-1

for $100,000 US.

Here is the press release:

Best Copy of First Canadian Comic Book offered for Sale at Record Price!

On June 1st the Hamilton, Ontario based International Comic Exchange, also known as ICE (icomicexchange.com) listed the best graded copy of Better Comics #1 from March 1941

Better Comics #1 was published by Vancouver’s Maple Leaf Publishing in response to the Canadian government’s implementation in December 1940 of the War Exchange Conservation Act (WECA). The WECA bill banned all no essential imports, included American comic books, to support the war economy.

Maple Leaf Publishing’s Better Comics #1 gave birth to a vibrant and large Canadian comic book publishing industry that flourished during the war years, by 1943 there were 4 publishers printing dozens of titles. WECA was repealed in 1946 and the Canadian Comic Book industry quickly died off.

Comics from this era are known in the collecting community as Canadian Whites (because they were printed in black and white) and are extremely rare. This copy of Better Comics #1 has been graded by CGC at 7.0 sharing the honor of best graded copy with another CGC 7.0. As of this listing less than 10 copies of Better Comics #1 are known to exist. ICE administrator, Marty Birthelmer, adds “we’re thrilled to list this historic 1st Canadian comic book for sale and we look forward to displaying it for all to see in Niagara Falls on June 4th”.

The Better Comics #1 listing on the ICE comic exchange is the 1st graded copy ever offered for sale and its price at $100,000 USD makes it the most expensive graded Canadian Comic ever listed for sale.

The listing is timed to coincide with 75th Anniversary of Canadian Comics celebrations planned for June 4th 2016 in Niagara Falls, ON. Big B Comics and Chapterhouse Publishing will host the celebrations Saturday June 4th from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm at Big B’s store on 6465 Lundy’s Lane, Niagara Falls, ON. The Better Comics #1 will be on display. The Anniversary celebrations coincide with the Niagara Comic Con being held at the Scotiabank Convention Center from June 3rd to June 5th.

Price seems.... fair interesting :insane:

for $100,000 US.

There's a good point for discussion: What do you think the asking price should be for the highest graded Better 1 and how about a Triumph No. 1?

for $100,000 US.

There's a good point for discussion: What do you think the asking price should be for the highest graded Better 1 and how about a Triumph No. 1?

That you Walter?

for $100,000 US.

That you Walter?

Its Ivan

for $100,000 US.

I will take 50K for my Better 1 CGC 6.0 Universal Blue ;)

Edited by eccomic

for $100,000 US.

I will take 50K for my Better 1 CGC 6.0 Universal Blue ;)

I'm sure you would :insane:

I'd rather have a Triumph-Adventure Comics # 1, Dime Comics # 1 or a Freelance # 1 (though the latter is due to my love of Freelance, which is admittedly biased). Rarity aside, Iron Man just doesn't do it for me.

Silly prices for Canadian Whites, but it was only a matter of time before someone started asking this much for one of the big three. I guess that the "Undervalued Spotlight" about this issue needs an update. But, will it ever sell?

You're right, speculation on a commodity that is essentially character driven would lead you to the first appearance of Nelvana and Johnny Canuck as the choices to put pennies in your pocket and most collectors would agree. But for me, the first issues of the four Maple Leaf titles are more desirable because they have the first work by so many of those great Vancouver creators and are way more interesting but after collecting comics for over 50 years I still can't properly appreciate how just character and decimal points (cgc grades) drive the value of comics. For me The Iron Man is only a small part. It's a much more interesting book than the 9 page colour The Iron Man story.

I realize that there is a nice looking Super Duper # 3 on eBay right now, which I assume is why buttock is asking about it. Isn't Triumph # 31 the true first appearance of Mr. Monster?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Super-Duper-Comics-3-F-E-Howard-Pub-1947-RARE-CANADIAN-EDITION-1st-Mr-Monster-/351448174382?hash=item51d3f18f2e:g:UqgAAOSwyQtVnETU

Unfortunately, Ivan, due to the scarcity of these books on the East Coast, I have only been able to look at snipits and screenshots of these early Maple Leaf books. Certainly grade points and first appearances drive the speculator markets, but that is not my interest here. I honestly do not know what is inside Better Comics # 1 other than the Iron Man story because I have no way to read the other stories.

On the other hand, I have read all of Nelvana, Johnny Canuck and Brok Windsor because they have been reprinted and I have a handful of Freelance comics and Grand Slam Comics in my collection that I really enjoy. In terms of my own interests and tastes, I would be much more willing to spend money on books featuring the first appearances of these characters because I know that I like the characters and their stories, but also because of how enthusiasts and speculators have become conditioned by the notion that 1st appearances are the be all and end all of comic books. Hopefully, we will see additional reprints of other major characters' stories in the future.

I don't care about grades, as I would rather be able to read the comics and share them with interested colleagues and friends. Your research has made this world of Canadian Comics more accessible, but I fear that it has also priced some of these comics out of the market for the next generation of enthusiasts (as well as the current one, such as myself).

As a result, I have been focusing more on FECA books lately. I can afford them and the research hasn't been done yet, so there are interesting things to uncover if you are willing to look.