• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

Welcome to the boards Suzie!

Thank you for sharing the story of how you got into comics. The doujinshi books sound really interesting, hopefully you can share more about them one day and possibly post some pics. I am sure you will greatly appreciate the vast knowledge of comics here, especially when it comes to the very celebrated Ninja Turtles!

i've gotten them from a bunch of different sources. a friend in Japan, online stores, LiveJournal Doujinshi Community, ebay, and Cleveland Comic Con (they actually had a table for doujinshi! :)

anyways, here's a link to a topic i started asking about how best to protect these books, with a couple pics.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9314526

and an interesting fact, Ninja Turtles is very popular in Japan. There are even TMNT doujinshi :)

here's an example of one of my Naruto doujinshi featuring my favorite character, Kakashi

IMG_2643_zpsz7otwuzb.jpg

Edited by Rika24

i've gotten them from a bunch of different sources. a friend in Japan, online stores, LiveJournal Doujinshi Community, ebay, and Cleveland Comic Con (they actually had a table for doujinshi! :)

anyways, here's a link to a topic i started asking about how best to protect these books, with a couple pics.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9314526

and an interesting fact, Ninja Turtles is very popular in Japan. There are even TMNT doujinshi :)

here's an example of one of my Naruto doujinshi featuring my favorite character, Kakashi

IMG_2643_zpsz7otwuzb.jpg

Great post Suzie.

I didn't know you could find them outside of Japan.

On the topic of large-format preservation, I would recommend going to a comic book store and ask if they have magazine size bags, boards, and even boxes (or buy online). You can cut the boards down to size if necessary. I would probably stay away from anything plastic that seals for the storage box.

I'm not an expert on this size format, so maybe someone else here has more informed advice.

Hello All!!

Decided to go ahead and introduce myself on here after lurking for a bit. I'm Brad, currently an American contractor working in Canada for the Royal Canadian Air Force and Boeing.

It's a small town, with one fledgling little LCS to get my wares. Anyhow, it's been many moons since I collected comics, and even then it was a meager little collection. Most of it was the gawdy foil/holographic covers that were the "variants" of the early 90's. The shiny covers and the art work drew me to them whenever I went to the bookstore with my mom, in itty bitty Ayer Massachusetts.

The first comic books I ever bought was Cable #1 with the Gold Embossed cover, Venom Lethal Defender #1, The Secret Defenders #1. Not phenomenal comics but at 9 and 10 years old they were amazing. I dabbled a bit in X-Men due to the animated series, I was big on Cable, Venom, and Cyclops. I'm also a self professed Star Wars nut.

I don't know if it's the small town here in Petawawa, Ontario, or the boredom, but I've recently been looking back to those days and have begun to dabble a bit more into the series that interest me, and interested me as a kid.

So far I've been grabbing '68 back issues, Sex Criminals, Spawn, Star Wars, Deadpool and just grabbed The Discipline. I'm interested in catching up more on Invincible, Deadpool and Hellboy, through hardcover. I'll probably start picking up Invincible now that it's running again. I'm not trying to amass an enormous collection of raw books but think I'm trying to focus on key issue/first prints/slabs and hardcover compendiums/omnibuses from my interests.

Anywho, that's me in a nutshell! It's great to be here, and looking forward to sharing with all of you!!

Hello All!!

Decided to go ahead and introduce myself on here after lurking for a bit. I'm Brad, currently an American contractor working in Canada for the Royal Canadian Air Force and Boeing.

It's a small town, with one fledgling little LCS to get my wares. Anyhow, it's been many moons since I collected comics, and even then it was a meager little collection. Most of it was the gawdy foil/holographic covers that were the "variants" of the early 90's. The shiny covers and the art work drew me to them whenever I went to the bookstore with my mom, in itty bitty Ayer Massachusetts.

The first comic books I ever bought was Cable #1 with the Gold Embossed cover, Venom Lethal Defender #1, The Secret Defenders #1. Not phenomenal comics but at 9 and 10 years old they were amazing. I dabbled a bit in X-Men due to the animated series, I was big on Cable, Venom, and Cyclops. I'm also a self professed Star Wars nut.

Welcome Brad! Nice to have you.

I don't know if it's the small town here in Petawawa, Ontario, or the boredom, but I've recently been looking back to those days and have begun to dabble a bit more into the series that interest me, and interested me as a kid.

So far I've been grabbing '68 back issues, Sex Criminals, Spawn, Star Wars, Deadpool and just grabbed The Discipline. I'm interested in catching up more on Invincible, Deadpool and Hellboy, through hardcover. I'll probably start picking up Invincible now that it's running again. I'm not trying to amass an enormous collection of raw books but think I'm trying to focus on key issue/first prints/slabs and hardcover compendiums/omnibuses from my interests.

Anywho, that's me in a nutshell! It's great to be here, and looking forward to sharing with all of you!!

Welcome Brad, it's nice to have you!

Hello!

My name is chris. Found this place when looking for forums to talk about comics. I read and collected batman when I was a kid. I have no idea where they all went. Now that I'm a lot older and caught the comic bug again looking to start collecting some Silver Surfer and Sub-Mariner. Hoping to make some new friends here!

Hello. I'm James

I collected a lot of Marvel back in the 80s, primarily Iron Man, and Amazing Spider-Man, and was able to back fill from there, eventually getting all of Iron Man from 1 to somewhere in the mid 200s.

I found this board as all my books were taking up space at my brother's place and he needs the room, so I'm now beginning the process of grading and selling them.

Hopefully someone here may have an interest in some of them and they can find new homes. (SO SO GLAD mom didn't garage sale them years ago)

Anyway I'll be posting stuff as I get it graded and ready to go. Avengers 1 is on its way for grading now. Most are in nice shape, a few are rough (ASM 2 for example).

Feel free to PM if you are looking for anything in particular, and I'll get it lined up for grading.

Hi,

I'm taking the plunge and introducing myself after lurking around for a while. I'm Jesse and I'm from London, England but a few years back moved to live and work in Dubai.

I remember my Dad buying me my first comic books when I was about 4 years old, Batman, Flash and some Worlds Finest books. I remember the Worlds Finest book being some sort of Christmas edition. And the Batman issue had a Fat-Man character in it! That can't be right can it??

From then on I discovered the British reprints of Marvel Comics and Spidey was, and still is, my favourite character. I used to love the hardback annuals which reprinted an array of Spidey stories and I still have many of them dating back to 1974. My favourite cover is AMS #151.

Moving to Dubai was a big challenge, one of them being no comic book stores selling single issue books. Dubai has some great stores that sell TPBs and everything else and the Comic Con out here is getting crazy big. So I get my books shipped over, not cheap but what the hey.

I'm fairly new to the grading world and recently got back some nice ASM's that I got signed by Stan Lee.

I'm here to connect with other collectors and get tips and advice on collecting and maintaining my collection. I'm a collector that hasn't really got into the collecting community so I'm hoping I can start now.

Look forward to connecting.

Hello my name is Bryon. I have been reading comics since I was a young lad. I was obsessed with watching TMNT, X-Men, and Spider-Man, so picking up comics was the best thing when the shows were not on. Now as an adult i have the time and money to collect comic books. I just recently met a lady with a gigantic collection she is trying to sell off. I have already bought a butt load of books from her. I now have started all those collections i have wanted. I found this forum and see how great you guys are. I'm hoping to find some books on here to complete my quest and hopefully help sell all of her books. Thank you for having me here.

And hello everyone. First time posting here, though I've been following various threads here for quite a while. My name is Mark. I work in a comic shop in Oklahoma. My collecting focus is every DC title from the year of my birth (1974) to the start of the New 52. Currently about 900 books from completing said run. I do pick up older DC stuff, but that tends to be stuff that catches my interest, or that I find at the right price.

Outside of DC products, I collect bronze horror anthology style comics and horror related magazines.

Looking forward to being slightly more active on the boards.

First time poster as well, joined last night after stumbling across the site in search of some information regarding the slew of new variants for DC coming in the next few weeks to months. Superman fan through and through. Collector of DC as well as Marvel for a number of years (really, truly do not remember when I started). At last count, I turned 18 long boxes into about 42 short boxes recently due to a move. Looking to get some insight and knowledge into CGC membership as well if some folks out there care to enlighten me to some general information and such.

First time poster here as well, joined a few days ago and have been reading the forums nonstop. Recently just got back into comic book collecting and found the forums to be full of information!

Hi, i'm Andrea. (thumbs u Recently joined by the suggestion of a friend/coworker and i'm loving the vibes so far! I've always been a reader in general, but lately have been delving a bit deeper into the world of comics. Looking forward to seeing peoples favs/suggestions!