• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please support me in financing my education - THANKS!
2 2

279 posts in this topic

Hello everybody :)

Because I want to finance my education - I want to attend an painting academy in Vienna - I am selling my comic book collection. It's not easy, because I love all the books - I am sure you can understand it how I feel :( BUT I have to set priorities. The tuition is really high for a year and with the living costs I will need around 65-70K for all three years. :cry: I would really appreciate it if you would support me and the realization of my dream .

HERE you can find my sales thread - I am open for offers and can reduce the prices a bit. I am sure we can work something out!

Here is what I am doing in the moment. My first two paintings and a pencil drawing which I did when I met Alex Grey at a workshop.

27192071141_3b4184bdae_c.jpg

26655933193_800d7d1a7a_b.jpg

26654825144_9454eec2f1_b.jpg

THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR ATTENTION!

Have a great day!

-Martin

Man-you don't need to go to some academy to learn to paint. Just keep painting. Vienna? Why Vienna? As an artist I gotta say i think this is a huge waste of money.

Guess where Frank Frazetta learned to paint? At home. He did attend the (very) small Brooklyn Academy of Fine Arts, a short lived school with one instructor.

Think about what you are doing-you have pained one painting, penciled out another, simple front and side views. and I assume you have been accepted by the Vienna Academy. What kind of legitimate school accepts a student who has accomplished one painting? This is a money grab bro.

Don't buy the Euro hype. Keep your books.

I am 99% sure you will disregard my advice. People don't like their dreams crushed. But i have to try.

Please-trust me on this-it won't. This is 2 years of art school speaking.

Please watch Art School Confidential before you plunk down your money.

Please

Every great artist has learned 99.9% of their craft by themselves, because they are driven.

Man I hope.

I hate seeing wasted effort. I don't want to be a jerk or harsh but how driven can someone be to be a painter if they've only done one painting and automatically want to go to Vienna?

I agree with Kav. I don't consider myself an artist by any stretch, but I do know that the longer I work at it the better I get. Like anything else you stick with and have a passion for, you'll learn and grow by developing your own style and honing it so that a brush, pen, pencil or whatever medium you use becomes an extension of yourself. I don't believe a school/academy can teach you that. I feel very strongly that although their intentions may be good, they will teach you specific methods which may frustrate the hell out of you or it may really suit you and help you grow. However, keep in mind that the majority of historically famed artists were all self taught.

Lastly, your work is amazing and I would never have guessed you weren't already a professional artist.

Either way, Keep your dreams alive man. Life is really boring without them.

All the best bro!

Making a living as an artist is very tough. I was not brave enough to try it, and was lucky enough to be good at other things as well.

Inasmuch as others have given you caution that art school may not be what you think it is - and I tend to agree that you will develop best on your own with relentless practice and advice from senior artists - the name brand of a good art school behind you may be beneficial in networking and establishing a client base from your work.

Good luck with the sales thread, and keep posting your latest works in the "personal art" thread.

I tried for 30 years to make it as an artist. There are plenty of good artists-no shortages at all.

Plenty of good musicians, writers, poets, actors etc. People flock to the fun, high paying careers. So there's plenty of em.

Not many job openings though for stuff like famous painter.

I tried for 30 years to make it as an artist. There are plenty of good artists-no shortages at all.

Plenty of good musicians, writers, poets, actors etc. People flock to the fun, high paying careers. So there's plenty of em.

Kav - you have to add to your sig:

PIF Killer

And

Crusher of Dreams

lol

Kav - you have to add to your sig:

PIF Killer

And

Crusher of Dreams

lol

Kav moonlights as a Dementor on the weekends. :D

KAV is not wrong. I went to an art school in the early 90's that has now become nothing more than a giant money making scheme. Get a college degree if you want to go to school. A art school will not get you anything but a whole lot of debt.

Art school, like college, like the military, vocational school, etc is not for everyone. But some people really do benefit immensely from the class, the experience, shared passions with other artists, inspirations,, the teachers, the structure etc

Which is not to say there's aren't zillions of success in most fields (especially) art without formal education, there obviously are. But everyone is different with different goals and dreams and needs and motivations. And there are different ways to reach your goals. And for some, that might be going to Vienna ....

Get all the info and go

Art school, like college, like the military, vocational school, etc is not for everyone. But some people really do benefit immensely from the class, the experience, shared passions with other artists, inspirations,, the teachers, the structure etc

Which is not to say there's aren't zillions of success in most fields (especially) art without formal education, there obviously are. But everyone is different with different goals and dreams and needs and motivations. And there are different ways to reach your goals. And for some, that might be going to Vienna ....

Get all the info and go

You are advising someone who has painted one picture to drop everything and spend 70K to go to a school you know nothing about nor what the quality of instruction is. For all you know there is far better instruction within driving distance of the dude.

There's this idea that people have to go to Europe to become enlightened or something.

Martin,

I like your work.I don't know if this school in Vienna is worth it but that decision is for you to make. I do think that having the courage to make a huge commitment to chase your dream is admirable. You cannot succeed without trying and there are many roads to success.

Good luck!

If it was truly his 'dream' to be a painter, wouldn't he have painted more than one picture?

People have the oddest idea of 'dream' these days, maybe from watching American Idol.

I went to a university in the 1980's and attained a degree in Bachelor of Fine Arts and Design. The degree helped me attain jobs in the art field.

the OP can add the Vienna school to his resume and it may help him get employment.

That said: I also agree with Kav in that almost all of my art skill and knowledge has been self taught. I learned by doing.

Also: I swear I had posted this already in this thread and I do not know why it poofed.