• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seth Rogen to make Preacher for AMC?

485 posts in this topic

PREACHER Turns a Church Upside-down in Times Square

preacher-upside-down-church-times-square-3-183605.jpg

In one of the crazier promotions for a new television program appeared in New York's Times Square this weekend. The Preacher debut was celebrated by something that would've looked perfectly normal at San Diego Comic-Con, but was a bit out of place in the busiest cross section of streets in the United States.

A church, designated All Saints Congregational, was turned upside down in the middle of the recognizable location. When fans stopped by to check it (and previews of the show projected on a huge screen) out, if they posted a picture on their favorite social media platform and showed the proof, they were given a USB powerbank branded with the show's logo.

dollars to donuts they'd never do that to a mosque.

In one of the crazier promotions for a new television program appeared in New York's Times Square this weekend. The Preacher debut was celebrated by something that would've looked perfectly normal at San Diego Comic-Con, but was a bit out of place in the busiest cross section of streets in the United States.

A church, designated All Saints Congregational, was turned upside down in the middle of the recognizable location. When fans stopped by to check it (and previews of the show projected on a huge screen) out, if they posted a picture on their favorite social media platform and showed the proof, they were given a USB powerbank branded with the show's logo.

That's a good bet, since the entire Preacher universe is contained in a version of Christianity.

Never read the books other than what I've heard of it from the by n by here and there. Didn't know what the hell was going on through the entire pilot. Also have a friend in the same boat that told me the same exact thing. I'm sticking with this since I'm such a comic book fan, but I don't think the average watcher will unless the show continues (?) to receive critical acclaim.

That's a good bet, since the entire Preacher universe is contained in a version of Christianity.

:lol:

Never read the books other than what I've heard of it from the by n by here and there. Didn't know what the hell was going on through the entire pilot. Also have a friend in the same boat that told me the same exact thing. I'm sticking with this since I'm such a comic book fan, but I don't think the average watcher will unless the show continues (?) to receive critical acclaim.

I can see that happening, as even though I was enjoying it because of my comic book fan excitement, it did jump around a little to weave an early universe.

I asked this in the mordern thread but no one had any comment.

I've only read the first couple TPBs, and I avoided all the news about the show leading up to it, so some things caught me off guard. Mostly why'd they change Tulip so much?

I'll add, that since I haven't read a lot of the source material, maybe Tulip eventually develops into a character that more resembles the character from in the TV show (in action not appearance obviously) and the TV show just decided to rush that? I don't know just going out on a limb?

I just don't remember getting the impression from the comics that she was the crazy, blow mess up kick and take names sort of tough girl she was in the TV show.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/05/preacher-tulip-ruth-negga

Preacher’s Tulip Shows How Far Comic Book Culture Has Come

The 90s heroine gets a badass update.

by Joanna Robinson,

When Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon created Preacher in 1995 they put their finger firmly on the pulse of comic book culture and then pushed all the boundaries to see how far they could go. Unlike a lot of the cape-and-tights tales that came before it, Preacher opened up a world of violence, sexual deviancy, and religious irreverence. But as progressive as the comics seemed at the time, we’ve come a long way in 20 years. Comic book culture has hit the modern mainstream and when adapting the books for television, Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, and Sam Catlin needed to add some serious updates. The best updated aspect of the AMC series so far? Female lead Tulip O’Hare played with incredible charisma by Ruth Negga.The character proves how welcome the comic book world has become for women.

By many metrics, Tulip on the page was already a pretty modern woman. She’s no fainting superhero girlfriend, that’s for sure. She’s tough, knows her way around a gun, and doesn’t let Jesse get away with a lot. Still, her introduction doesn’t put her in the strongest position. We meet her nervously preparing for a hit job. . .

. . .and then completely botching it and running away to be rescued by Cassidy.

Compare that to the absolutely rock-em, sock-em intro she gets in the series. There’s no hesitating, Negga’s Tulip will take down a car full of “bad men” and looking incredible while doing it. Tulip and Cassidy both get far more violent introductions on the screen to match Jesse’s gleeful barroom brawl. The trio are perfectly set up to do a lot of damage together.

But minutes after her harrowing car fight, Tulip calmly building a homemade bazooka while indoctrinating children on the ways of modern feminism. “A woman needs to know how to be strong. Stand on her own,” she says. But, before the message veers into ham-fisted territory, Tulip complicates it. “Man or woman. If you're lucky enough to fall in love you have to be even stronger. Fight like a lion to keep it alive. So that on the day your love is weak enough or selfish enough or freaking stupid enough to run away you have the strength to track him down and eat him alive.” Tulip does all this while wearing glasses and wrapped hair.

And, in that sense, she’s a far cry from the Tulip we find on the page.

The book version of Tulip is always sexualized. And some people, not wanting that change, were a little distressed to see Negga cast. “Ruth Negga is a weird choice for Tulip (Jesse's very violent girlfriend),” one disappointed comic fan wrote when the cast was announced. “I would have gone for an unknown and very thin blonde girl who can play a wide range of emotions, in particular love and anger.” And during the 20 years it took for Preacher to make its way to the screen, fans consistently cast a certain “type” to play the part. “Amber Heard, Anna Paquin, or Yvonne Strahovski from Chuck could all match the character’s appearance and personality well,” one fan site pitched. “All three are beautiful, blonde bombshells.”

Negga as Tulip is sexy. We first see her on the screen completely naked with a towel wrapped around her head. But she’s not under the male gaze in that scene, she’s all alone. And somehow the doesn’t feel exploitative at all. And Rogen and Goldberg made clear during a recent press conference that these updates were very intentional. “Tulip’s African American, and a little different, a little sassier,” Goldberg said when asked what significant changes were made. “She’s a little more volatile I think in a lot of ways than in the comic,” Rogen agreed.

The last thing Preacher did to ensure Tulip’s popularity was to make her an audience proxy. Unlike so many love interests of TV anti-heros (think Skyler White), Tulip isn’t trying to stop Jesse from doing what we all want him to do (punch bad guys, get his hands dirty). She’s the one egging him on. And, in a little nod to comic book readers, the writers had Tulip comment on one of the most significant physical changes on Dominic Cooper’s Jesse Custer. “You cut your hair,” Negga’s Tulip says fingering the place where Jesse’s famous mullet should be. “I hate it.” She may hate that change, but every change made to the TV version of Tulip is for the better. The AMC series took a great character and made her even better. Perfectly suited, in fact, for the world of Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman, Krysten Ritter’s Jessica Jones, and Scarlett Johansson’s Black Widow. Praise the lord.

Total garbage and what I'd expect from Vanity Fair

Count me too as someone who had never gotten around to reading the book, but was generally familiar with the concepts. I very much enjoyed the pilot. Had zero problem following the plot and/or set up, snd I honestly think that the post-Lost TV audience is fully able to watch a show like this and go with the flow for awhile as things are revealed.

I've only read the first couple TPBs, and I avoided all the news about the show leading up to it, so some things caught me off guard. Mostly why'd they change Tulip so much?

I'll add, that since I haven't read a lot of the source material, maybe Tulip eventually develops into a character that more resembles the character from in the TV show (in action not appearance obviously) and the TV show just decided to rush that? I don't know just going out on a limb?

I just don't remember getting the impression from the comics that she was the crazy, blow mess up kick and take names sort of tough girl she was in the TV show.

OK, so they changed Tulip to make her tougher. What's the problem? (shrug) I don't see how it changes the Preacher story at all.

OK, so they changed Tulip to make her tougher. What's the problem? (shrug) I don't see how it changes the Preacher story at all.

Truthfully, of the 3 main characters that were introduced in the premiere, I think I liked Tulip the best even though she was the most different from the comics. I think Jesse & Cassidy are going to grow on me, but it was Tulip that got my attention right off the bat.

I'm giving this show exactly four episodes. Right now I'm not blown away but I'm not yet turned away either. I don't think it's the next Walking Dead so all you guys speculating on the comic series should probably start dumping them now.

Of course I read the entire series and about 3/4 of the way through it got really weird and slow and seemed to be running out of gas. I think that's a huge part of why it ended when it ended was because the writer was running out of shock value that drove the story. It sort of became shock value for sake of shock value.

I did not read any of the press release or articles leading up to the TV series as I just didn't want to have anything spoiled. I do find it interesting that they've changed up the plot to where it looks like most of the initial story is going to take place in this small town. We're introduced to characters that surely have some growth room before they're done...like the organ player.

If I'm not hooked and having at the bare minimum Gotham level interest after four episodes I'm out. Here's the top five shows I watch ranked from five to one, anything below that is take it or leave it (think Law & Order, NCIS)

5. Gotham

4. Shark Tank

3. The Flash

2. The Walking Dead

1. Game of Thrones

which means I don't watch Arrow, and I don't watch Legends of Tomorrow...fell off of Arrow after I realized they would resurrect anyone if it meant they could do a story with the character and it just kind of cheapens death on the show. Much like the comics.

Oh my gosh I've gotten off on a rant here...and it's only Tuesday.

Being a fan of the original comic, I have noticed the departures from the traditional characterization. Having said that, there's nothing that's a complete turn-off or deal breaker for me.

In fact, it does contemporize some of these characters and makes them more viable for today's audiences. I wasn't crazy about their pick for Tulip, but I can get over it.

With regards to the storyline following the comic exactly they said that this season would end where the comic begins:

http://comicbook.com/2016/05/20/why-preacher-season-1-will-end-where-the-comics-begin/

“We almost end where the comic starts,” star Dominic Cooper reveals. “And it's so necessary because you need to get to know characters. The shows that are flawed and that haven't continued, however good they’ve been, have been when there's a kind of chaos of people that we can't, as an audience, get to know or understand, and therefore care about.

“I think what we have done is establish the roots of these people,” Cooper continues. “This is their home, this is the world in which they inhabit, this is where they've come from, this is the reason they go on this journey, which we learn throughout the comic with flashbacks and things like that. But you need to make a success of something to show. It's such a good environment anyway, such an interesting physical environment. This is their town, this is where we are, this is the beginning of the story. I think that was definitely an essential decision that was made, to ground something that can become extraordinarily flamboyant and all over the place.”

But Cooper is quick to assure fans that the sense of realism in the show’s early episodes won’t hold it back later on.

I'm sure we'll end up, in some series down the road, in Hell or somewhere, or maybe in Heaven,” he speculates. “It'll become more and more extraordinary. I think it has to be embedded in something at the moment that people can grasp.

Cooper goes on the say that the intention of everyone involved in the creation of AMC’s Preacher has always been to stay true to the spirit of the source material more than its letters.

“When I first met the guys, creatively, who were behind it, they said, ‘Look, we've got these beautiful, wonderfully well drawn-out characters, but we need to now make a world for it, and we need to be able to take it in any direction,’" Cooper recalls. “They’re going to stick to the idea - the journey, the search - because they have to. I think that's essential”

So there are obviously intentional deviations from the source material. The first season is going to ramp up until it becomes more traditionally like the comic storyline. I can get behind that and not hate the folks making it for not sticking to each and every line of dialogue or frame in the comic. It has to play well on screen. Comics are written to be comics, not movies or television shows. When adapting these things for other media, there has to be a certain degree of creative license and flexibility or you're constrained to the limits of the original media. All in all I find the first episode entertaining and I can see that there's more in store.

So who are the 2 guys that have been following Genesis? Are they Angels or are they the Grail.

Or something new?

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/26/deblanc-and-fiore-come-into-focus-in-new-preacher-photos/

AMC has released a number of cast photos for next month’s debut of Preacher. One of the new shots includes one of wayward angels Fiore and DeBlanc. Okay, technically they’re not wayward yet as they’ve been sent to find Genesis, but readers of the Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon comic book know their search skewers their perspectives a bit.

Played by actors Tom Brooke and Anatol Yusef, they continue the series’ re-imaging of the original comic with the characters shedding their robes for cowboy hats and “slick” government agent attire. Also, it is interesting to note how much Brooke looks like both a Seraph and Herr Starr — which is to say he’s a Dillon illustration come to life.

preacherdeblanc-600x422.jpg

The actors also appear in this group shot featuring the entire season one Annville gang:

preachergroup-600x422.jpg

So who are the 2 guys that have been following Genesis? Are they Angels or are they the Grail.

Or something new?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/26/deblanc-and-fiore-come-into-focus-in-new-preacher-photos/

AMC has released a number of cast photos for next month’s debut of Preacher. One of the new shots includes one of wayward angels Fiore and DeBlanc. Okay, technically they’re not wayward yet as they’ve been sent to find Genesis, but readers of the Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon comic book know their search skewers their perspectives a bit.

Played by actors Tom Brooke and Anatol Yusef, they continue the series’ re-imaging of the original comic with the characters shedding their robes for cowboy hats and “slick” government agent attire. Also, it is interesting to note how much Brooke looks like both a Seraph and Herr Starr — which is to say he’s a Dillon illustration come to life.

Yup, that's what I thought.

Doesn't one of the two of them have the pleasure of waking the SOK? That'll be fun. :devil:

Edited by gadzukes

Watched it again last night (I was slightly inebriated and fell asleep half way thru on Sunday) and thought it was excellent.

My wife had a smile on her face and started reading my Preacher TPB after the episode, she really liked it.

I think the show could be very popular.

Arseface, turn away from the subtitles when he's talking, his speech is pretty damn near unintelligible.

Or something new?

Yup, that's what I thought.

Doesn't one of the two of them have the pleasure of waking the SOK? That'll be fun. :devil:

If this season is supposed to end off where Preacher #1 starts, does that mean we have to wait until next season for SOK? :cry:

I'm giving this show exactly four episodes. Right now I'm not blown away but I'm not yet turned away either. I don't think it's the next Walking Dead so all you guys speculating on the comic series should probably start dumping them now.

Of course I read the entire series and about 3/4 of the way through it got really weird and slow and seemed to be running out of gas. I think that's a huge part of why it ended when it ended was because the writer was running out of shock value that drove the story. It sort of became shock value for sake of shock value.

I did not read any of the press release or articles leading up to the TV series as I just didn't want to have anything spoiled. I do find it interesting that they've changed up the plot to where it looks like most of the initial story is going to take place in this small town. We're introduced to characters that surely have some growth room before they're done...like the organ player.

I agree with your assessment. Unless it gets better I think they are going to surprised by viewership. If it hadn't been for the last 30 minutes I wouldn't even be watching the next episode.

They are going to far out to capture a decent audience. I guess they are hoping to "find an audience" other then built in fans?

I went into this show a "preacher virgin" after only having read issue 65 and 66 years ago and my Millennium copies.