• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,226 posts in this topic

That Tormented is a classic-I'm surprised that cover doesn't get more attention. Might be because it's pretty scarce in grade! I've been looking for an upgrade to my vg/fn copy for only about a decade.....

Another book I don't know if I should post in GA thread or here but here goes...

0c2369e2100a6ec19b32c4e2b85a5f561c67437c.jpeg

Just a crazy cover with skeletons on it. I kept seeing copies on the boards so after a while I knew I needed one. lol

Another book I don't know if I should post in GA thread or here but here goes...

0c2369e2100a6ec19b32c4e2b85a5f561c67437c.jpeg

Just a crazy cover with skeletons on it. I kept seeing copies on the boards so after a while I knew I needed one. lol

Well it is pre-code for sure. Definately a horror tinge. I've got mine in my horror box as well as books like these.

comfrontpage_zpsf14aea7d.jpg

comrolypoly_zps43113ce7.jpg

Both those books you posted (along with a few other books out there) are proof of the earlier (pre Eerie #1 in 1947) attempts at testing the waters of serious horror in comics. Maybe no one was publishing a regular horror comic yet but they were certainly starting to use the horror themes on a regular basis as you move through the 1940's. Your two examples are Harvey's early foray into the genre (sort of) and Roly Poly #14 has as good as a chopped off head as many 1950's examples would. Thanks for posting those. ;)

Funny that you brought up needing to own every copy of those two comics, because I've been wondering why I keep buying multiple copies of some books. It doesn't even matter if they are upgrades or not, it's like a compulsion. At least yours are considered classics-mine are 2nd tier but I love them! My obsessions are Beware 6, Chamber of Chills 23 (I had 5 at one point!), Mysterious Adventures 6, and Tomb of Terror 16. At least I can rationalize the ToT 16 because I own the cover...but no explanation why I have multiples of the others while not having gone after other more "classic" ones as aggressively.

Funny that you brought up needing to own every copy of those two comics, because I've been wondering why I keep buying multiple copies of some books. It doesn't even matter if they are upgrades or not, it's like a compulsion. At least yours are considered classics-mine are 2nd tier but I love them! My obsessions are Beware 6, Chamber of Chills 23 (I had 5 at one point!), Mysterious Adventures 6, and Tomb of Terror 16. At least I can rationalize the ToT 16 because I own the cover...but no explanation why I have multiples of the others while not having gone after other more "classic" ones as aggressively.

I have a few copies of Beware 10 ( Frazetta cover ) as well as Chamber of Chills 19, True Crime 3 and Crime Does Not Pay 24. It's just getting out of hand.

Bought a few more copies of these books because I am obviously mentally ill and have this insatiable need to own every possible copy of each issue.

19qah3.jpg

Eventually, I'd just like to own 1 of each. I certainly appreciate the desire to own more than one of a great thing, but for whatever reason I never desired to do that. Usually I look at a dupe (I have just a few) and wonder "what other book don't I have yet that I can turn this into?"

I did see one individual with 6+ copies of Horrific #3 at the last Reed Chicago, so you're not the only one. :)

I have a few copies of Beware 10 ( Frazetta cover ) as well as Chamber of Chills 19, True Crime 3 and Crime Does Not Pay 24. It's just getting out of hand.

I'm looking for a Beware 10 if anyone has one for sale.... :wishluck:

I've got a solution for ya, Gabe! :idea:

I've got a solution for ya, Gabe! :idea:

I'm always open to trades or offers...