• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

At least we made it to the other building on this visit! I've got a garage in Long Beach, over by 7th & Junipero that wishes it had isles! But that's primarily furniture, wood, some tooling, but there is some old Marvelmania posters I should probably retrieve. Along with Farrah Fawcett, Linda Carter, & Bruce Lee wall scrolls for days....

Hey Bob. Right after you left, I realized that the EC detached cover Tales From The Crypt situation is exactly like they were discussing here on the boards. In that with a little magic tape and wham bam, it could now get a 4.0/4.5, with a blue label! What was the take away on all that, after the smoke had cleared? Did any graders ever chime in on that? Or is a detached cover, strictly a good at best?

But, so glad you got by again! My Jungle Comics, Jumbo Comics, etc. have expanded to the point where I should.....make a list! Those Baker and Cole covers are mesmerizing!

And I forgot to give you some of that microchamber paper, that I'd mentioned! I forget whatever else I forgot.

At least we made it to the other building on this visit! I've got a garage in Long Beach, over by 7th & Junipero that wishes it had isles! But that's primarily furniture, wood, some tooling, but there is some old Marvelmania posters I should probably retrieve. Along with Farrah Fawcett, Linda Carter, & Bruce Lee wall scrolls for days....

Hey Bob. Right after you left, I realized that the EC detached cover Tales From The Crypt situation is exactly like they were discussing here on the boards. In that with a little magic tape and wham bam, it could now get a 4.0/4.5, with a blue label! What was the take away on all that, after the smoke had cleared? Did any graders ever chime in on that? Or is a detached cover, strictly a good at best?

But, so glad you got by again! My Jungle Comics, Jumbo Comics, etc. have expanded to the point where I should.....make a list! Those Baker and Cole covers are mesmerizing!

And I forgot to give you some of that microchamber paper, that I'd mentioned! I forget whatever else I forgot.

CGC announced a few years ago that tape on staples would result in CGC presuming the tape was there to keep the cover attached and grade accordingly. So, no more upgrades by taping detached covers. Of course, the change in policy means that there are slabs floating around that won't grade the same if resubmitted to CGC - buyers of CGC comics with tape on them beware!

Thanks for the clarification Woogie. That was what I remembered as well.

Here's the book in question. I might add that is is probably my favorite EC cover. Just rocked my 12 year old world when my uncle gave me his EC's. I have an entoumbed 7.5 signed by Feldstein but wanted a "reader".

I was very happy with it at first glance. I quick look in the bag and it looked like maybe a fine copy.

comtalesfromthecrypt23a_zpsitnzshpn.jpg

Then I removed it from the bag and saw this. Definately slipped a bit but still decent. No longer a Fine in my opinion.

comtalesfromthecrypt23b_zps6iwfez5g.jpg

Then I opened it up and saw this... a spoon wilter for sure. Hard to believe from seeing it from the front.

comtalesfromthecrypt23c_zpsajywik0u.jpg

We both had a pretty good idea what Overstreet would say and were right. But neither one of us could bring ourselves to call this cool copy a mere Good. I believe we settled on Good+ or Good-VG. Pretty close either way. Wishing it better just doesn't get it there...

David brought up the discussion of tape and how CGC would grade it. I don't buy the tape it decision anyway. (just personal). I am glad it isn't taped or messed with especially just to squeeze a couple of bucks more out of a cool book like this. I am very happy to own it and have already read it carefully as I hope to for many years to come. And, as long as it is in MY junk pile, it will never be defaced with any kind of tape.

What do you people think???

I wouldn't/couldn't tape that book! I was posing the hypothetical question, and now the devils advocate gets ....heat. Your right in that we did split the difference between G/VG and sorry if I came across as disgruntled. I guess I should think twice before wondering aloud if that book would be a white bread candidate. Not sure how that dough into doe is accomplished, but there are more pressing matters to ponder. Like reverse osmosis on staple rust. White bread candidate sounds politically incorrect in retrospect. Rye humor. Glutton flee.

OK, let's move on and do something a little different.

Space Patrol was a very sucesseful very early 1950's TV show. VERY funky by today's standards. They merchandised quite a bit of stuff. The show was sponsored by Ralston Purina. He's a few of my pieces from this show:

spacepatrolpremiums_zpstfjitocl.jpg

spacepatrolgun_zpsllxhy9bb.jpg

TRULY FANTASTIC! :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

mm

I don't remember seeing the show when I was a child but I have seen chapters on Youtube and other sites. By the way, Buzz Corry was played by Ed Kemmer who was a fighter pilot and POW during WWII (a real superhero). I think I recognize him from TV westerns and other movies I have seen recently. He is also from Reading, PA. :banana:

Edited by BB-Gun

Hey, BB-Gun. Have you ever spotted Steranko out and about there in Reading? I was visiting Dan Adkins , after his move from East Liverpool (Ohio), in the late '80's. And, true to form, he was working on a Shadow painting.... while wearing a white suit (Jim, not Dan).

Got this cool book in the mail yesterday. Been wanting to replace the copy I parted with for quite some time. Always goes for some good dough and I was able to find a nice one at a decent price.

One of my favorite war covers. Also, the best Everett war cover I can think of. Got some gore in it as well which is not usually the case in these. What a lousy way to go...

comensadvs14_zps5dyiaqfs.jpg