• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,296 posts in this topic

Some new additions on the JQ shrine side of my bookcase

D20A8E52-6A00-4E26-9CA6-4CA82B5D5C5F_zpsotxeohlq.jpg

Everytime I see your Johnny Quest collection I delight in my childhood memories.

Thank you for that. :cloud9:

:applause: love the happiness is a steady diet of JQ comic books

"sigh" ....... 60's JQ :luhv:

How do you put a picture in a post to show a comic room. My pictures are not on the internet. Whats with wanting a URL address?

I remember the exact day I first wanted to post pics here.

It was like a foreign language.

That guide is extremely helpful.

I still use it to refresh my memory upon trying to search here:)

I have a question for all you with amazing comic book rooms.

Should I ever happen upon an old Comic spinner rack. Is there any advice out there on how to care for it? I mean in the sense at should it be rusty or need cleaning.

Depending on the condition (not rusty), I would just use a sponge or rag with soapy water to clean it up. Be careful though on the metal topper sign. If dirty, try not to scrub too hard or you might remove some of the color from the letters and graphics. If you find one that's in worse shape with lots of rust, you may want to sand and repaint if you're into that.

If there's rust, then sand & paint. If it's just dirty? Soap & water. Maybe a cleaner of some sort. It won't really matter.

If you paint though & plan to paint the rack portion itself, you might want to go with one of those rubberized spray options like Plasti-Dip or something. I could see that holding up better over time since the wire rack bends a little (and most paints... you know... don't?) & the original finish was likely a more latex-based paint than most sprays you'd find these days.

But I'd do the base with a more conventional spray option. And probably a matte finish paint too.

If there's rust, then sand & paint. If it's just dirty? Soap & water. Maybe a cleaner of some sort. It won't really matter.

If you paint though & plan to paint the rack portion itself, you might want to go with one of those rubberized spray options like Plasti-Dip or something. I could see that holding up better over time since the wire rack bends a little (and most paints... you know... don't?) & the original finish was likely a more latex-based paint than most sprays you'd find these days.

But I'd do the base with a more conventional spray option. And probably a matte finish paint too.

Very helpful. Thank you so much!

Wanted to post a couple pics of my comic "gallery." It's a 10'x10' room in my home with gray painted walls and white molding.

I'm a big fan of DC: Batman, Harley Quinn, Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman. A lot of Neal Adams for Neal Adams month :)

I also like The Walking Dead by Image.

The room has custom-built "floating" shelves that hold 50 comics (25 on each wall). All are CGC graded and most are signed (SS) as well. Sorry for the glare.

Another wall will eventually have a tall black wooden bookcase to showcase my action figures and the few statues I own. This will also block the one window and eliminate the glare.

24854520190_2e1c65d6f4_z.jpg

This is pretty cool. Doesn't take up too much space and the carper is cool.

That is awesome! I'm going to do something like that some day.

Do you guys think these shelves would be okay for displaying raw books? The surface wouldn't be as wide, but I didn't know if it would cause a bend on raw books.

Do you guys think these shelves would be okay for displaying raw books? The surface wouldn't be as wide, but I didn't know if it would cause a bend on raw books.

I use the same shelving from IKEA in my setup, but have only ever put graded books up.

I think it would be fine, provided the comic has enough support behind it and that there is a lip above and below the book to take the brunt of the pressure at the touch points.

I would go for something like an oversized full-back board... Or some of those plastic thingys that are on the market... I haven't tried any of them, but things like the following show a lot of promise:

Alternatively, some frames:

http://www.yousephtanha.com/blog/2011/05/02/ikea-comic-book-photo-frame-hack/

http://www.frameitagainsam.com/hall.php

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/comic-book-frame

Hope that helps!