• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

There was a seller whose fees were included

His shipping and 3 percent not excluded

He was asked why

And made this reply

Because the math would be too convoluted

My first and most likely only attempt at a limerick. lol

The boardie was selling a book

And thought he had quite a good hook.

He added a fee

A percent of just three

But no one would give it a look.

;)

Keila was arrested for a variety of reasons, because of stealing from her firm and MasterCard, and helping her husband sell kilos worth of drugs. The second circuit heard the arguments and we are waiting for the ruling. And no, the dealers are CLAIMING that not enough companies joined (they needed 25% but claim it is only 19%) the class.

He was asked why

And made this reply

He added a fee

A percent of just three

lol

Keila was arrested for a variety of reasons, because of stealing from her firm and MasterCard, and helping her husband sell kilos worth of drugs. The second circuit heard the arguments and we are waiting for the ruling. And no, the dealers are CLAIMING that not enough companies joined (they needed 25% but claim it is only 19%) the class.
Worthy of some scrutiny, but really is that all they had on her :ohnoez:

He was asked why

And made this reply

He added a fee

A percent of just three

WIN

On the 3% issue? I won't buy in a sales thread that requires me to pay extra for using a certain form of payment. The same way that I would actively avoid gas stations that used to charge extra or have a different price for credit card payments (that's still a thing some places).

I don't mind if it's built into the price, since I'm not paying in any other way than paypal to anyone (unless I'm buying in-person). I realize that credit card processing fees are built into the cost of everything from a candy bar to the 65" flat screen at Best Buy these days. I just don't like it being rubbed in my face that "I'm going to charge you more because you're paying with this for of payment instead of this other form of payment"

Emphasis on the bolded text

Yeah but given the two scenarios below, you're not paying more either way

Asking price = $1,030

Asking price = $1,000 + 3%

I get it that people don't like it rubbed in their face but at the end of the day, you're paying the exact same amount. Being accepting of paying the extra if it's built in as opposed to the 3% add on has always seemed a little irrational to me. It's like saying that I don't mind paying more as long as it's invisible. Huh? Again, ignorance is bliss I guess. I don't know about you guys but I don't like paying more regardless of whether I know it or not. (shrug)

I don't know... I don't really think about it that much. Just something about it bugs me & I think to myself "Nope. Next?" as a result. I can't exactly explain it. Just something about it bugs me. Maybe it's the "seeing the sausage being made" or something. I don't can't really explain it.

Just like my initial gut reactions is negative to seeing it be spelled out explicitly, that I pass right then & there rather than buy it and not feel as good about the price, if that makes any sense? Even if it's a good price with all those fees included. my initial negative feeling on seeing it spelled out is going to stick with me every time I look at that book. And I don't really want to associate a book that I really wanted & like having with a negative experience or a "well, look at the silver lining, it was still a pretty good deal" .. it's still gonna have that little bit of "dude wanted me to pay his freaking paypal fees" negative feeling muddying my otherwise enjoyment of having that book in my collection.

Does that make sense? I mean, I don't expect you to agree or anything. Just wanted to see if you could understand what I mean.

I don't really understand that. However, you certainly don't need to justify it to me, or anyone. If you don't want to deal with sellers who do this, that's your choice. Most of us probably have been rubbed the wrong way about a seller at some time in our lives.

Yeah. It's a silly emotional reaction. But were I going to resell it? It probably wouldn't bug me as much. But seeing it in my collection & having that negative initial emotion (before I even see the actual price) is going to bug me.

Yeah. It's a silly emotional reaction. But were I going to resell it? It probably wouldn't bug me as much. But seeing it in my collection & having that negative initial emotion (before I even see the actual price) is going to bug me.

I understand what you mean, but if you think about it, adding the request or not does not represent a substantial change: the fees are de facto the payment for the service offered by PayPal, so there must be someone that pays them, be it the buyer, the seller, or both in a split fashion.

It doesn't matter to me how you break it down whether it is PP fees or buyers premium or free shipping, it is the bottom line price I look at. In fact I kind of avoid 'free shipping' on some venues (eBay). Nothing like getting a slab in an envelope - "but hey its free" :ohnoez:

I'm with you on that. I bid on an inexpensive book on eBay once that had free shipping. I bid something like 20 bucks, but I was the only bidder, so I won at the starting bid of $5. Book came First Class in an envelope, nothing more. Seller said, "Hey, it was 5 bucks with free shipping, what did you expect?" I expected you to spend the extra 20 cents it would have cost to put a couple pieces of cardboard in.

I don't even leave it to chance now. Unless they specifically state how they ship I always ask and then I almost always offer extra money for better packaging.

Yes, I have gotten to the point where I don't feel comfortable knowing that it would have been cheaper and easier for the seller to have simply torn the book up and thrown it in the trash, rather than listing it and selling it.

"$5 with free shipping" means the seller lost money.

And the cardboard pads I use cost a minimum of 26 cents each, and I use 2-4, at least, in each package. I'm not sure how to get good cardboard for only a 20 cent cost, whether in charge or labor.

What size and thickness do you use? I buy in bulk and it's under .20 a sheet, but you may use better quality stuff than I do.

9 x 12 corrugated pads, pre-cut.

Here:

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-3384/Corrugated-Pads/9-x-12-150-lb-Corrugated-Pads

But I don't buy them from Uline.

the uline 8.5 x 11 sheets do pretty well and are ~ .07 cheaper

not sub .20 - but getting close ( .24 each if ordering 500) - uline also has free ground shipping if you spend enough.

It doesn't matter to me how you break it down whether it is PP fees or buyers premium or free shipping, it is the bottom line price I look at. In fact I kind of avoid 'free shipping' on some venues (eBay). Nothing like getting a slab in an envelope - "but hey its free" :ohnoez:

I'm with you on that. I bid on an inexpensive book on eBay once that had free shipping. I bid something like 20 bucks, but I was the only bidder, so I won at the starting bid of $5. Book came First Class in an envelope, nothing more. Seller said, "Hey, it was 5 bucks with free shipping, what did you expect?" I expected you to spend the extra 20 cents it would have cost to put a couple pieces of cardboard in.

I don't even leave it to chance now. Unless they specifically state how they ship I always ask and then I almost always offer extra money for better packaging.

Yes, I have gotten to the point where I don't feel comfortable knowing that it would have been cheaper and easier for the seller to have simply torn the book up and thrown it in the trash, rather than listing it and selling it.

And the cardboard pads I use cost a minimum of 26 cents each, and I use 2-4, at least, in each package. I'm not sure how to get good cardboard for only a 20 cent cost, whether in charge or labor.

What size and thickness do you use? I buy in bulk and it's under .20 a sheet, but you may use better quality stuff than I do.

9 x 12 corrugated pads, pre-cut.

Here:

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-3384/Corrugated-Pads/9-x-12-150-lb-Corrugated-Pads

But I don't buy them from Uline.

the uline 8.5 x 11 sheets do pretty well and are ~ .07 cheaper

not sub .20 - but getting close ( .24 each if ordering 500) - uline also has free ground shipping if you spend enough.

I don't use the 8.5 x 11, because they are too small. The 9 x 12s fit a FR Priority envelope, and provide lots of space for protection around all four sides. If the envelope gets dropped on a corner, there's enough depth to absorb the impact. That extra 14.5 square inches of surface makes all the difference. That, and I put everything into Mag bags, and then tape the hell out of that to secure the book to the center of the sandwich..

The cardboard around the item you are protecting needs to be larger than the item you are protecting.

I get mine pre-cut by a local cardboard company.

The cardboard around the item you are protecting needs to be larger than the item you are protecting.

I get mine too small for the book because danger is my middle name.

silver boards - 7 x 10.5

8.5 x 11 chippers work just fine - if you pack out properly

Paired up with uline box - S-342 with bubble wrap.

for that box - a 9 x 12 would probably be too big for the way I pack - the book/cardboard "sandwich" is surrounded by bubble wrap.

Edited by W16227

If they're trying to squeeze every nickle out of the book perhaps there will be other issues. Over grade a raw book, package poorly, fight a return, who knows.

That's a pretty big assumption, IMHO.

-slym

I was talking postage costs, not for the cardboard. It was an inexpensive book, I didn't expect anyone to use 2-4 pieces of "good cardboard" that they bought, just something to keep it from being folded in half and shoved in my mailbox.

And, yes, selling something for $5 with free shipping is pretty close to losing money, but the answer isn't poor shipping, it's not listing things for a minimum bid of $5 with free shipping.

Freakin' eBay is always pushing me to sell with "Fast 'N Free" shipping, even recommending it after my comic doesn't sell for 99¢ to begin with. I sell that at the opening bid and have to pay for the shipping too, I am not a good businessman. You'd think they would see that.

-slym

I use these...about 16.5 cents each and they work just fine.

So you say, but have you shipped these to yourself to find out? Hard experience having had tens of thousands of comics shipped TO me says otherwise. 8.5 x 11 only gives a half inch of protection at the top and bottom of most bagged and boarded books, which simply isn't enough to keep it from any serious impact damage.

This is coming from me as a buyer, not me as a seller. 8.5 x 11 boards are simply too small, unless you're using 3-4 of them on each side of the sandwich, to protect the books.

I cannot tell you how many tens of thousands of books I've received that were beautiful 9.8 quality books...until they were shipped and crunched in one or more corners.

It's very depressing and frustrating to get books that get damaged in shipping.

BUT....I will say that condition conscious buyers are a distinct minority, so yes, this kind of shipping damage may not be a concern at all for most of your customers, which may be why it works for you.

Interesting anecdote: I ended up standing behind an employee at DC (which is now in Burbank), and she was shipping someone a Dark Knight III. I asked her if she sold comics, and she said she worked for DC. I told her that I was shipping comics. She was about to put the NAKED BOOK in a Flat Rate Priority envelope, which would just about guarantee it would be destroyed when it arrived. Why spend $5.60 shipping a $4 comic, only to have it destroyed? I cringed, but didn't say anything, because: none of my business.

But she asked me if it was ok to ship that way, and I first asked her if she was familiar with bags and boards (not an automatic thing for employees of publishers!) and she said yes, and then I recommended making a cardboard sandwich to protect the book.

Maybe she did, maybe she didn't, but she did get out of line and leave the PO with the book unsent.

So, who knows? Maybe I saved the life of a comic that day.

:D