• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cap 1 vs Marvel 1 Which would you rather own and y?
2 2

216 posts in this topic

It won`t even be debatable in 10 years,similar to FF#1 and AF#15.

This is still quite debatable. I am selling off a huge chunk of my collection, and I chose to sell AF #15. I would much rather keep Fantastic Four #1.

Honestly it`s not. 10 years from now Tales of Suspense #39,Journey into Mystery #83, and Hulk #1 will have passed FF #1.

I get that you like the Fantastic Four, and I respect that, but their time has come and gone. They actually have a much worst future than Superman.

2c

Wouldn't it just take a good FF movie to get FF #1 back in the running again?

Or say.. New actors and bad movies for Iron man and Thor to make demand less?

I think people will make a better decision if they have both books in front of them.

Here again is a cool photo of a kid deciding between a Marvel Comics 1 and a Cap 1 at a New York comic con in the 1960s.

Both books appear similar in grade.

It looks like he is leaning towards the Marvel 1.

ny-stand-marvel1_zps0f6ea4c3.jpg

This photo makes the thread. (thumbs u

Where's a flux capacitor when I need one

Human torch 1

&

All winners 1

On the wall

Cool pic

It won`t even be debatable in 10 years,similar to FF#1 and AF#15.

This is still quite debatable. I am selling off a huge chunk of my collection, and I chose to sell AF #15. I would much rather keep Fantastic Four #1.

Honestly it`s not. 10 years from now Tales of Suspense #39,Journey into Mystery #83, and Hulk #1 will have passed FF #1.

I get that you like the Fantastic Four, and I respect that, but their time has come and gone. They actually have a much worst future than Superman.

2c

Wouldn't it just take a good FF movie to get FF #1 back in the running again?

Or say.. New actors and bad movies for Iron man and Thor to make demand less?

With FF no because they are tainted now. An example was the recently good Judge Dredd movie, in that no one went to it because they had an image of the Stallone stinker Judge Dredd movie in their minds from 20 years ago.

Remember the last FF movie wasn`t just bad,but historically bad.

It got a 9% percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes compared to BvS which got a 28%.

I think people will make a better decision if they have both books in front of them.

Here again is a cool photo of a kid deciding between a Marvel Comics 1 and a Cap 1 at a New York comic con in the 1960s.

Both books appear similar in grade.

It looks like he is leaning towards the Marvel 1.

ny-stand-marvel1_zps0f6ea4c3.jpg

This photo makes the thread. (thumbs u

I don't know why he's so determined to chose between a Cap #1 and Marvel Comics #1, when he could just grab those Boy Commandos instead.

I voted for Cap 1 for the simple fact it introduced the most popular GA character for Timely/Marvel. I look at Marvel Comics #1 as the same as Detective #1 or one of the other pre-superhero "first" DC books - they hit the stands first but it was Action #1 and Tec #27 that had the 1st appearances that matter.

I voted for Cap 1 for the simple fact it introduced the most popular GA character for Timely/Marvel. I look at Marvel Comics #1 as the same as Detective #1 or one of the other pre-superhero "first" DC books - they hit the stands first but it was Action #1 and Tec #27 that had the 1st appearances that matter.

Not too sure how you can equate Marvel Comics #1 with Detective #1. (shrug) Marvel Comics #1 had Torch and Subby...Detective #1 had....

Edited by pemart1966

Not too sure how you can equate Marvel Comics #1 with Detective #1. (shrug) Marvel Comics #1 had Torch and Subby...Detective #1 had....

Because the comparison is apt. Johnny Storm is the "Human Torch" that everyone knows today, and MC 1 isn't Subby's first appearance (MPFW).

:gossip: And Detective Comics 1 had the first Slam Bradley. :insane:

-J.

Because the comparison is apt. Johnny Storm is the "Human Torch" that everyone knows today, and MC 1 isn't Subby's first appearance (MPFW).

:gossip: And Detective Comics 1 had the first Slam Bradley. :insane:

-J.

ah...that didn't enhance your argument lol

It's apt because you defy logic with your bias (why, I have yet to entirely figure out) and are constantly trying to build a position to fit your argument.

Green Lantern, The Flash etc all had different alter egos between GA and SA. They're still GL and the Flash and their key 1st appearances are still important.

Marvel did have Subby, Human Torch, the Angel and Kazar and while none are considered A list material right now (and that is mostly because the FF franchise has been cancelled by Marvel due to a movie rights battle) the Torch (both the android and Johhny) and Subby were mainstays at Marvel for decades starting in FF #4 through to the copper age. I'd call them B+ characters as they were heavily involved in the Marvel universe.

And the Torch and Subby were A list material during the GA.

As far as it being Subby's 1st appearance, nobody actually knows (and this coming from someone who is a fan and former owner of MPFW #1 and Marvel Comics #1). There is no clear proof as to whether MPFW #1 was ever distributed as the only known examples to ever be found were all from the estate of Lloyd Jacquet so it is more than likely that they were just trial books that never made it the public. If so, they were be akin to an ashcan (although they weren't ashcans).

+1

My comparison would be more in line with equating Marvel 1 with Fantastic Four #1 and Cap 1 with AF 15. hm

It's apt because you defy logic with your bias (why, I have yet to entirely figure out) and are constantly trying to build a position to fit your argument.

Green Lantern, The Flash etc all had different alter egos between GA and SA. They're still GL and the Flash and their key 1st appearances are still important.

Marvel did have Subby, Human Torch, the Angel and Kazar and while none are considered A list material right now (and that is mostly because the FF franchise has been cancelled by Marvel due to a movie rights battle) the Torch (both the android and Johhny) and Subby were mainstays at Marvel for decades starting in FF #4 through to the copper age. I'd call them B+ characters as they were heavily involved in the Marvel universe.

And the Torch and Subby were A list material during the GA.

As far as it being Subby's 1st appearance, nobody actually knows (and this coming from someone who is a fan and former owner of MPFW #1 and Marvel Comics #1). There is no clear proof as to whether MPFW #1 was ever distributed as the only known examples to ever be found were all from the estate of Lloyd Jacquet so it is more than likely that they were just trial books that never made it the public. If so, they were be akin to an ashcan (although they weren't ashcans).

So when I state the basis for my logic you call it "bias", but when you do it's..... "facts"?

Whether or not you agree with it, Subby's first appearance isn't MC 1. Nor is it Ka-zar's first appearance. A character named "human torch" first appeared in it, but has since been essentially lost to time and replaced by an entirely different character, 50+ years ago, that happens to have the same hero name.

I suppose Angel first appeared in MC 1, but that doesn't really score you any "relevance points".

No such vagaries exist with Cap 1. It's a clear cut win- first hero appearance , first nemesis appearance (and overall major Marvel Universe villain), first sidekick , classic cover, #1 issue, etc. His GA appearance wasessentially as he is today, much like Bats and Supes.

The biggest thing MC 1 has going for it is the biggest thing Tec 1 has going for it-the first books of their respective publishers.

And that's still pretty cool! Just not as cool. ;)

It's no wonder Cap handily won the poll. (thumbs u

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

A character named "human torch" first appeared in it, but has since been essentially lost to time and replaced by an entirely different character, 50+ years ago, that happens to have the same hero name.

Actually, the Golden Age Human Torch is at the heart of the Vision's origin. When I was reading new comics, John Byrne featured him in West Coast Avengers and Namor the Sub-Mariner, and John Ostrander used him in Heroes for Hire. He still gets mention anytime anyone says "Invaders", and apparently he's rumored to be in the SHIELD tv show.

No, he's not Cap, but you're entirely too dismissive of Marvel 1's place in history.

A character named "human torch" first appeared in it, but has since been essentially lost to time and replaced by an entirely different character, 50+ years ago, that happens to have the same hero name.

Actually, the Golden Age Human Torch is at the heart of the Vision's origin. When I was reading new comics, John Byrne featured him in West Coast Avengers and Namor the Sub-Mariner, and John Ostrander used him in Heroes for Hire. He still gets mention anytime anyone says "Invaders", and apparently he's rumored to be in the SHIELD tv show.

No, he's not Cap, but you're entirely too dismissive of Marvel 1's place in history.

Yes HT is at the heart of Visions origin but it is too "in the weeds" to matter much