• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Phantom Stranger #1 (1952)
2 2

185 posts in this topic

My copy, which I was fortunate enough to pick up from a most esteemed boardie a few years back. I toy with hunting down the rest of the run, but fear I have procrastinated too long. The white dot at the top is a bit of a mystery, paint?, bleach? who knows, but it doesn't go through the cover..

Phantomstranger1_zpspdwno41y.jpg

Why are these comics so difficult to obtain?

I mean I've seen a few on Heritage, but why not eBay?

Great question. Not so long ago, they seemed to be readily available. I guess they always were pretty scarce and it only took a few more people looking for them to cause them to disappear from most dealers' stocks and from eBay.

My copy of No. 1:

_57_zpsefacbf2f.jpg

My copy, which I was fortunate enough to pick up from a most esteemed boardie a few years back. I toy with hunting down the rest of the run, but fear I have procrastinated too long. The white dot at the top is a bit of a mystery, paint?, bleach? who knows, but it doesn't go through the cover..

Phantomstranger1_zpspdwno41y.jpg

Ectoplasm?

:grin:

I thought this copy of #1 ended at a somewhat strong price last night on eBay, considering the page quality and how it presents. I had it capped at $600 max:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311490356159?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

Might be some combination of its being such a tough book these days and someone hoping that a resub might result in a better pq.

I thought this copy of #1 ended at a somewhat strong price last night on eBay, considering the page quality and how it presents. I had it capped at $600 max:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311490356159?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

I was tracking a few books by that seller, and they all did nicely. I forget his name, but I've been happy with purchases from him, so I'm not all that surprised.

A year or so ago that was probably a $400 book, but the PS run seems to be in big demand these days. I suspect any less than $400 a point is going to be hard to do before long.

A year or so ago that was probably a $400 book, but the PS run seems to be in big demand these days. I suspect any less than $400 a point is going to be hard to do before long.

I would happily pay $400/point for a nice copy! I was watching this one but don't want Lt.Tan pages.

Thanks guys. Jimbo just had a nice Phantom Stranger 6 in his sales thread this morning, and it was picked up rather quickly. Seems there's still a lot of interest in this title (given that its extremely hard to find in even mid grades).

Infantino turned in a fine job on the series..... the covers are all decent too. I still kick myself for not getting the CGC 8.0 Bethlehem copy of # 3 from Metro..... they had it for a while @ $ 800...... GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I was debating whether to buy some of the beat up copies that Superworld had but their prices were IMO very aggressive for being lower grade copies. Finding these books in nice shape is mission impossible! If you are lucky to come across a copy of any Phantom Stranger pull the trigger right away!