• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DAREDEVIL #1 CLUB
15 15

940 posts in this topic

Omg. So many sales are not on GPA. Certain silver and even bronze pedigree "KEY" books most certainly demand a premium. I follow this thread and Rob is a true DD collector. I wish him luck on getting his #1 and that 9.2 was nicer than many 9.4's.

:sorry: I was the under-bidder. I went to my absolute maximum for that book and someone else wanted it more. I was involved because it's a pedigree copy and wouldn't go near that price for a non-pedigree 9.2, personally.

Why? A beautiful book is a beautiful book.

I specifically target pedigree copies and, since I'm not along in targeting pedigree books, I realize you have to pay a premium for them. Depending on the dollar value of the book, pedigree copies demand a 20% - 100% premium (cheaper books can generate a higher "pedigree" premium)

added:

Also, I'm actually in the market for a 9.4, and was only bidding on this (at all) because it's a pedigree.

There's plenty of pedigrees that don't get any real "premium" at all. In fact, there's only a handful that really do and that's mostly in the GA arena.

-J.

Curators, and Pac Coasts books were GA collections? Huh, who knew. I swear I learn something new on these boards every day.

Jim

Don't forget White Mountains, Twin Cities, Western Penns, Northlands, Bostons, Oaklands, Mass, Suscha News...

What, are you some kind of amateur, Jim?

:sorry: I was the under-bidder. I went to my absolute maximum for that book and someone else wanted it more. I was involved because it's a pedigree copy and wouldn't go near that price for a non-pedigree 9.2, personally.

Because in most instances a 9.2/9.4/9.6 pedigree book is superior in every way to a non pedigree book in the same grade. Sometimes it's cover gloss, sometimes the suppleness of the paper but mostly the state of preservation in a pedigree book is superior to a generic book, AND that's not always represented in its technical/structural grade.

Jim

In those cases, buying the book, not the label, absolutely.

Well this Daredevil 1 "pedigree" that just sold wasn't even a GPA high for the grade, so.....

No, it's not the all-time high in the grade. But it is well above the recent trend. The recent high is $11,000 and there's been another 9.2 sitting unsold at Metro at $11,000 for a few months. Everything else is lower by a fair bit. GPA 9.2 sales over the past few years (back to that outlier GPA high) look like this

2015 (3) $11,000Hi $8,500Lo

2014 (7) $10,000Hi $7,300Lo

2013 (2) $7,522Hi $6,550Lo

2012 (6) $8,801Hi $6,591Lo

2011 (4) $12,100Hi $5,150Lo

Nearly 12,000 is well above the recent trend. Which, I knew, since I follow this book pretty closely. I bid aggressively, but not "win at all costs" aggressively.

The 2011 sale was double the low from that year. Crazy result which is probably why it still hasn't been reached since.

As for "buy the book not the label..." if it includes ignoring the pedigree status of the book (which it seems like it does), I'll have to respectfully decline your advice. I like pedigree books! I have fun chasing them! It makes the hobby fun for me. If you think it's dumb, duly noted. I've been here a long time, I've heard the same thing about pedigrees from a lot of people (shrug)

And really, for what it's worth, I was "buying the book" here as my goal for my DD collection is 9.4+ Thing is, I know how fresh the Don and Maggie Thompson books are. I own a bunch of them. So... I bid on this book. It's a much nicer looking copy than many 9.4s because of the preservation.

:gossip: You won't win this argument. Don't waste your energy.

Rob's points are all spot on.

DD #1 had it's highs taken out in 2010-2011 (can't remember which) when 3 different CGC 9.6 copies hit the market within 2 months. That was enough to drop prices and scare people off until the Netflix series brought bidders back into the bidding pool again.

Because in most instances a 9.2/9.4/9.6 pedigree book is superior in every way to a non pedigree book in the same grade. Sometimes it's cover gloss, sometimes the suppleness of the paper but mostly the state of preservation in a pedigree book is superior to a generic book, AND that's not always represented in its technical/structural grade.

Jim

There is also the back story which draws in some bidders.

Ped books may not always fetch more but many people are willing to pay more for them (as Rob stated) and their anecdotal evidence is good enough for me.

9.0 pedigree is a damn nice copy! Should sell for around $9K if sold auction style I would think.

Without seeing the book, without knowing the page quality, and without knowing the pedigree (some pedigrees sell for less), and without even knowing if the book is slabbed you are going to predict a selling price. You're good !

This is a nice looking book. Strange but it's for sale on E-Bay already for 12K. The seller is a big dealer. It could be consignment but that would mean a loss. I always think the buyer found something 'wrong' with the book that he didn't like. I see a little SCS but it looks very good to me.

9.0 pedigree is a damn nice copy! Should sell for around $9K if sold auction style I would think.

Without seeing the book, without knowing the page quality, and without knowing the pedigree (some pedigrees sell for less), and without even knowing if the book is slabbed you are going to predict a selling price. You're good !

I simply assume since he seems confident in the way he says 9.0 that it is slabbed, and yeah I know my stuff :).

As far as page quality goes, I mean let's be honest that means very little in the grand scheme of things. Any book that is different in page quality and nicer than it's counterpart might sell for a hundred or so more, maybe a few hundred but even that would need to be a big book like a high grade DD1. I feel like we would need to be talking Action Comics #1 or something at that level for a nicer page designation to really make a difference in thousands of dollars. As far as your mention goes about not knowing the pedigree, I honestly have no clue. I don't know what specific pedigree might sell for less or more than another, but I do know that on the average a pedigree copy will outsell a regular copy of this or most any comic. So with Daredevil 1 CGC 9.0 in the $7,500-$8,000 range I imagine a pedigree copy whether with Off-White to White or White pages will sell for around $9K, give or take $500-$1,000. Anyway, there's my logic for ya. I feel like it's pretty sound :).

Edited by LDarkseid

and yeah I know my stuff :).

I honestly have no clue.

I don't know but I do know

Again, you're good !