• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

The Can.GA DCs are smaller,lacking a story,sometimes the one featured oñ the cover.

I collect them,but pay significantly less due to the missing content.

Sorry Rick,thought I'd open my big mouth!

I got the Canadian edition of Batman 50 from Danny Dupcak :facepalm: in the late eighties, and it didn't even have the Two Face story that was on the cover. :facepalm:

GAtor - When you set up at conventions are there specific cities or states where you make sure to bring certain product? For instance, you know that you are setting up in Boston so you make sure you have more Spider-man on hand and high end Classic Illustrated.

I guess I am asking if there is a specific market per city?

For cons I drive to I bring all.

For some cities (sd,ny, Chicago) higher end

For some like Tampa, a lower price point.

But character specific would be to limiting...crowds year to year and even day to day. Diversity is key

The Can.GA DCs are smaller,lacking a story,sometimes the one featured oñ the cover.

I collect them,but pay significantly less due to the missing content.

Sorry Rick,thought I'd open my big mouth!

Thanks. (thumbs u This is very good information to know.

Sounds about right

Thanks guys.

Where can you get a nice not too large comic book display rack?

Vintage or modern?

Vintage pop up for sale from time to time on eBay and hakes

Modern spinners just take googling, but I suspect that's not what you want

Mr. GAtor, do you think the new holders are better for brittle books or worse?

Better. Old holders allowed a certain amount of movement within the slab that sometimes "shook" brittle pieces loose. The pressure of the new case should prevent any brittle pieces from "falling" off within the slab...bottom line is brittle isn't getting any better regardless of which slab its in

Isn't increased pressure bad for weak paper? I would imagine it would cause a brittle spine to split further.

Mr. GAtor, do you think the new holders are better for brittle books or worse?

Better. Old holders allowed a certain amount of movement within the slab that sometimes "shook" brittle pieces loose. The pressure of the new case should prevent any brittle pieces from "falling" off within the slab...bottom line is brittle isn't getting any better regardless of which slab its in

Isn't increased pressure bad for weak paper? I would imagine it would cause a brittle spine to split further.

At levels well beyond the slab pressure, yes.

Where can you get a nice not too large comic book display rack?

Vintage or modern?

Vintage pop up for sale from time to time on eBay and hakes

Modern spinners just take googling, but I suspect that's not what you want

thanks

Edited by sartre

Hi Rick

If an above average collection were available (IH 181 - 9.6, Marvel Spot 5 - 9.4, super high grade HOS 92, SS #1, etc) what % of 12 mnth GPA would you think is fair? Would that be the best way to price it?

Thanks in advance for any insight

Mike

Edited by tbone911t

Hi Rick

If an above average collection were available (IH 181 - 9.6, Marvel Spot 5 - 9.4, super high grade HOS 92, SS #1, etc) what % of 12 mnth GPA would you think is fair? Would that be the best way to price it?

Thanks in advance for any insight

Mike

My guess is pay avg gpa assuming a 10% variance from avg to high. Worse case 90% bc what motivation would seller have to sell for less (just send to cc or cl and get 90%). This formula works for the really high grade stuff. Lower grade would be a lower % naturally

Hi Rick,

Which is harder to run? Your comic book store or your massive mail order action figure business?

Did you save one of those full size Star Trek Original Series Captain Chairs?

All the best,

Ray aka BitterOldMan

Hey Rick,

I hope everything is going well with the new store location. :wishluck:

So what is the price per point of Action 23 these days?

lower grades sell pretty quickly at 2k a point

Mid at 3

Exponential from there

Hi Rick,

Which is harder to run? Your comic book store or your massive mail order action figure business?

All the best,

Ray aka BitterOldMan

When the mail order was going strong in the early to mid 2000s I worked it 10+ hours a day, 7 days a week

I can work the store 1-8 hrs a day, whatever I feel like, and it's closed 2 days a week. The move was grueling but running is easy by comparison

Yes, I have a captains chair in the store...you can see it in this pic

image_zps56auv2z8.jpeg

Hi Rick,

All the best,

Ray aka BitterOldMan

When the mail order was going strong in the early to mid 2000s I worked it 10+ hours a day, 7 days a week

I can work the store 1-8 hrs a day, whatever I feel like, and it's closed 2 days a week. The move was grueling but running is easy by comparison

Yes, I have a captains chair in the store...you can see it in this pic

image_zps56auv2z8.jpeg

you moved your store out of Panama City?