• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman DC Variant Appreciation Thread
6 6

274 posts in this topic

Yikes! 250 bones for a fine SR 329, which admittedly looks pretty nice for that grade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SGT-ROCK-329-1979-WHITMAN-VARIANT-FINE-CONDITION-SCARCE-/181861883363?hash=item2a57d01de3&nma=true&si=Jeq8Z9nYwAwyy9qX%252BaSPV%252FECqsU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by bigfiver69

Just curious,does anyone know if the 3 packs and 2 packs have the same rarity or one is scarcer then the other?

I have 3 2-packs, but they don't seem to be going for very much. One of them has Action 489/Superboy-Legion 245. I checked eBay and a couple of the Action comic by itself sold for $15-$20 in higher grade, but then a sealed 2-pack sold for $8.99. Is it better to keep them sealed or open and sell individually?

As the buyer of that 2-pack for $8.99 I can say that was a decent deal! :devil:

All scarcity being equal, if nothing else you'd expect the 3-packs to sell for more just because you get 50% more comics in the package vs the 2-packs hm

Far fewer varieties of 2-packs exist than 3-packs. Most of the DCW packs I've seen are 3-packs. I've tracked about 30 distinct 3-packs while I've spotted only about 10 distinct 2-packs.

Maybe it's cause and effect too, but most of the DCWs I've seen in the 2-packs are among the easier to find issues. There are exceptions, but it's mostly Superman/Action/Superboy that you see in the 2-packs. Perhaps more of such packs were made/sold due to Superman titles being among DC's best sellers?

Generally my vote is to keep the DCWs in the package, they are much rarer in the package than the same loose comics. However if you have the right comics that are rarer, or one of the very common multipacks, it might yield a higher price if you broke open the pack and sold the individual high grade comics. In general though, opening the pack is probably not the way to go.

What are the contents of your other two 2-packs?

I also have a JLA 158/Superman 327 and a Superboy & Legion 244/Super Friends 14.

In addition I have a DC Comics presents 2/Action 487 and a DC Comics Presents 3/Action 488 that were already opened when I acquired the collection that these books were in.

The comics in the opened packs appear to be in the vf/nm to nm- range.

As a side note, the bags still have a 39 cent price tag from Pic 'n' Save on them.