• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

Here's my response and documenting of this guys eBay shadiness...

Here's a nice rundown...

Graphique Musique 1,2, and 3 signed $100 for all 3 or $50/ea

So did you cancel the sale with this winning bidder?

Matt Groening Signed and sketched books $100/ea or $250 for all

-Work is Hell

-Childhood is Hell

-Akbar and Jeffs Guide to Life

-The Simpsons Complete Guide

-The Simpsons Handbook

Did you cancel this sale too?

and this one too?

Batman & Me by Bob Kane with signed bookplate -$200

jeebus christ how many times did you do this?

wait, did you actually complete this one? OMG! Why didn't you offer this one here too? You cancelled what 5 of 6 completed listings? So why didnt you cancel this one too?

El Borbah by Charles Burns signed -$100

Big Baby by Charles Burns signed -$100

Whew thank goodness here's another one you backed out on, I was worried for a second you had turned the corner.

So in summary:

Graphique Musique sold on ebay for $20, cancelled and offered here for $100

Work is hell, sold on eBay for $80, cancelled and offered here for $100

Childhood is hell, sold on eBay for $50, cancelled and offered here for $100

Batman & Me, sold on eBay for $94, cancelled and offered here for $200

Burns signed books, sold on eBay for $30, cancelled and offered here for $200 total

So you opted out of $274 sure money to try and squeeze $700 of imaginary money

Sorry for your situation, but its often better to take the sure money than risk no money at all.

Also if you're desperate for money and are trying to max out your return, and have the time, do the research on values before listing books.

Also with that many cancelled transactions Im wondering if eBay has flagged you at this point...

figured I'd post it here since his thread will likely be wiped off the face of the earth soon...

So next to his name, it says he has 19 posts but if you view his posts, it only shows three...that's a great deal of wiping so far...

Yes. His threads are full of things that require copious amounts of wiping . . .

Here's a nice rundown...

-Work is Hell

-Childhood is Hell

-The Simpsons Handbook

and this one too?

wait, did you actually complete this one? OMG! Why didn't you offer this one here too? You cancelled what 5 of 6 completed listings? So why didnt you cancel this one too?

Whew thank goodness here's another one you backed out on, I was worried for a second you had turned the corner.

So in summary:

Burns signed books, sold on eBay for $30, cancelled and offered here for $200 total

Sorry for your situation, but its often better to take the sure money than risk no money at all.

Also if you're desperate for money and are trying to max out your return, and have the time, do the research on values before listing books.

Also with that many cancelled transactions Im wondering if eBay has flagged you at this point...

figured I'd post it here since his thread will likely be wiped off the face of the earth soon...

So next to his name, it says he has 19 posts but if you view his posts, it only shows three...that's a great deal of wiping so far...

Yes. His threads are full of things that require copious amounts of wiping . . .

Back to front or front to back? hm

Here's a nice rundown...

-Work is Hell

-Childhood is Hell

-The Simpsons Handbook

and this one too?

So in summary:

The only one you missed was the Tales from the Crypt Official Archives that was sold to someone on Ebay for $100, the sale was cancelled, and then offered here, first for $1000 and then for $500.

I don't expect he will make boardie of the year anytime soon.

Since he held on to Kraven for 5+ months, I'm voting for Quadman to repeat. :wishluck:

Long term commitment like that is rare these days. hm

Since he held on to Kraven for 5+ months, I'm voting for Quadman to repeat. :wishluck:

Long term commitment like that is rare these days. hm

2e4778c56fed06da44983b59ad3e36b749500843b87e3ceb7ab3987e7be99a66.jpg

Anybody experience in dealing with Matt Brennan / SpideyCollectibles / Thecomicnewsstand (= eBay-ID).

He seems to have nice books, at huge prices, but details about the deal seem to be changing continuously. I have now 57 mails from him about a single deal in 4 days time!?

Is he fake or reliable and just a bit strange?

I want to make a brief follow-up on this question I asked. I continued the discussion which consisted of over 170 (!) mails between 17 April and 6 May and which ultimately resulted in... nothing.

What followed were endless negotations and changing terms by the seller. His behaviour is erratic to say the least: he switches from being insulting to flattering and he ends and reopens discussion all the time. Also his terms go up and down quicker than I could follow. Often I received 3 or more contradicting mails before I even had chance to respond to the first.

What also complicated matters is that it was a 7 book deal and sometimes he was OK with that, on other occassions he wanted some of the books out, on yet other occassions he wanted to wanted freebies to be put in the deal etc etc.The biggest obstacle was that the deal involved my signed ASM666 MAC copy. I would have to send it before he would send his books. I was uncomfortable with that. Sending the book would mean a difficult to fill gap in my collection in case Matt Brennan would let me down. And as you may understand my trust in this mr Brennan was not so high.

But as his eBay record is quite OK and I really wanted those books, in the end we came to a deal: $1300 for an ASM666 MAC which should be a 9.6/9.8 candidate, and 6 ASM newsstand edtions. I would pay the money, I would send my signed ASM666 MAC and then he would send the books to a San Diego address.

At that time, we both went on holidays. After my holiday I tried to pay, but as I could not get a San Diego address directly linked to my PayPal account (and I wanted that due to Insurance), I asked if he could send the books directly to the Netherlands if I would take care of the shipping costs.

At first he refused, than he accepted and asked for two separate terms: first the $1300 and then later the shipping costs. I hesitated on this, saying I had never experienced a construction like that. He then ended the deal, saying he needed the money for his holiday, that this was part of the deal (which was a lie, that was never discusse in any of the e-mails) and since he wouldn't receive the money before the end of his holidays, the deal was off. The same day he changed his mind and he wanted $100 for shipping. It was clear that he hadn't checked anything with the post, so I didn't go there. Yet later he claimed that shipping would be $140 which I can tell from my experience, is a lie.

After his holiday, mr Brennan came back to me and ofered me the same books for $2K, which means a $700 price increase within a week. After 170+ e-mails I was tired of the discussion and I finally let it go. Only this mr Brennan is like piranha. He doesn't let go and still stalks me with e-mails.

During all this discussion, at some time it struck me that the language of this mr Brennan is quite similar to that of Seerojas, an eBay fraud that deals in the same type of books and that I have had problems with before, which were also reported on this forum. Could it be that the two profiles belong to the same person and that he uses one for establishing a good reputation and the other for closing shady deals?

My advice to any of you: stay away from Matt Brennan (comichunter114@gmail.com) / SpideyCollectibles (comichunter114@gmail.com) / Thecomicnewsstand (= eBay-ID).

Do you think this is the correct place on the forum to report this?

Is he a boardie?

I am not sure. Maybe not, or maybe he doesn't want to make it known that he is. By The way, he was not happy that I posted this about him (I notified him) and I received two more e-mails'.

The first: 'Thank you have a great day and search and whatever else are we done now ? Or rather can we be done now ? I don't care for this anymore honestly your a little insane and you need some psychiatric help and maybe some pills as well I'm sorry you never got the help you needed but it's never to late good luck again'

The second: ' i feel bad for you i truly do besides the fact that you lied and misrepresented me completely its just sad that now you feel accomplished lol you do realize i have a fladging business otherwise i would have accepted your offer there is a reason its called supply and demand and there is a reason i look for the rare items to buy again i think you need help feel free to write more up on the board ill follow up when i have the time im a bit busy now enjoying myself and making money to deal with you sorry'

I continued the discussion which consisted of over 170 (!) mails between 17 April and 6 May and which ultimately resulted in... nothing.

If I may ask, why in the world would you have a several week discussion consisting of over 170 e-mails? A normal deal should only take 3-5 or so, and even a deal on a grail book should be between 5-20 at the most. At what point did you realize this guy may be a bit difficult to deal with and you should just walk away?

Some said that about Harvey Swick :preach:

No way, that guy kissed way too much around here.

:foryou:

Unless he takes over the B-day threads.

- Jerkfro

Eighteen baby seals are beaten to death every time someone mentions B-day threads and their impact on the community.