• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,491 posts in this topic

Johnson has a slight Feldstein quality to his work (though he's not nearly as compelling as Feldstein to my eyes).

Yes, it's the thick lines that add to that quality.

I just got Forbidden Love #1 and paired it up with a friend:

Is it the same model on both covers? hm

That's a really good question, and I always thought of them as different models. But the full lips, overall face shape, nose and especially the eyebrow are close enough to be a match. The eye makeup (or the lighting) is different, the hair tint is different, and they're very different types of poses and expressions -- so it's hard to say for sure one way or another.

162204.jpg.d3bfb5c8158d8d17db89ad53827906a7.jpg

I'll tell you the closely held secret of who graces those fantastic covers. To gain it, I have traveled many foreign lands, done many things I am not proud of...no, I won't say any more about that.

Now. Find a quiet place, one where you won't be disturbed. Close the door. Draw the drapes. PLace the book on a flat, clean surface. Look at it, take it in. Look closer - see it with your inner eye, your third eye.

Now, gently open those sweet front covers - look down to the bottom of the inside cover - and report back your findings.

There is knowing, my friends - and then there is KNOWING.

Dr. (Strange) Love

I'll tell you the closely held secret of who graces those fantastic covers. To gain it, I have traveled many foreign lands, done many things I am not proud of...no, I won't say any more about that.

Now. Find a quiet place, one where you won't be disturbed. Close the door. Draw the drapes. PLace the book on a flat, clean surface. Look at it, take it in. Look closer - see it with your inner eye, your third eye.

Now, gently open those sweet front covers - look down to the bottom of the inside cover - and report back your findings.

There is knowing, my friends - and then there is KNOWING.

Dr. (Strange) Love

Are you the same Dr. Strangelove who looks a lot like Peter Sellers, is confined to a wheelchair, has a german accent, and has great difficulties controlling his right arm?

Are you... No you couldn't be... But... Maybe... Are you suggesting that we actually OPEN and then even READ these funnybooks?

Yep, the covers of the "Saucy" line of pulps were definitely out there. I wonder what the stories were like.

Don't wonder anymore.

Girl on the Torture Wheel circa 1934

Excerpt:

Claudia was wearing no brassiere. Her cupped breasts rode proudly on her chest. Jerry came out of his momentary transfixion, leaped across to Claudia and buried his face in the warm-scented, velvety valley. His lips brushed in savage hunger. His breath came in hot gasps.

The body out there on the wheel was that of Maxine LeSoir!

Jerry stood looking at her a moment, then charged. The bodies met, clung, throbbed. He lifted

her, carried her to a plush-covered sofa on one side of the room. His burning hands caressed her body that was leaping to meet his.

“I’ve waited a long time to find a man like you,” Claudia panted. “And you’ve found the woman.”

Jerry couldn’t talk. With him, actions spoke louder, more forcefully, than words.

Yep, the covers of the "Saucy" line of pulps were definitely out there. I wonder what the stories were like.

Don't wonder anymore.

Excerpt:

Claudia was wearing no brassiere. Her cupped breasts rode proudly on her chest. Jerry came out of his momentary transfixion, leaped across to Claudia and buried his face in the warm-scented, velvety valley. His lips brushed in savage hunger. His breath came in hot gasps.

Jerry stood looking at her a moment, then charged. The bodies met, clung, throbbed. He lifted

her, carried her to a plush-covered sofa on one side of the room. His burning hands caressed her body that was leaping to meet his.

“I’ve waited a long time to find a man like you,” Claudia panted. “And you’ve found the woman.”

Jerry couldn’t talk. With him, actions spoke louder, more forcefully, than words.

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Don't wonder anymore.

Excerpt:

Sounds like a typical day at work.

Ken

Don't wonder anymore.

Excerpt:

Powerful stuff! "Laye slumped to the floor, out. He was as cold as a girl who listens to her mama."

I just got Forbidden Love #1 and paired it up with a friend:

Is it the same model on both covers? hm

That's Hazel Brooks on #1, but not on #2.

Dazza! How goes it? Ever find that DC romance book you were looking for?

Hey, Dr. Love! I'm good, thank you. I hope you're well?

Yes, I did find that book, thanks. And at a good price too - I'm sure I PM'd you about that.

I was hoping to upgrade my Secret Hearts #83 at some point, but it's going for crazy prices now!

All is well, friend. Not surprising on the Secret Hearts 83 - it's got the Tony Abruzzo panel that is the swipe source for Lichtenstein's perhaps most famous painting - Drowning Girl. But you knew that!

Poor Tony. One of the greats; so prolific in his field, yet practically nothing is known about him.

The most I've read about him is on Jacque Nodell's blog.

I aquired this book with an estate sale I aquired, I am admitedly not a romance collector so I was curious on the rarity of this book. I could find none on the census (USA or Canadian), and no ebay results. It is All Romances #1 Canadian edition Ace book and has pencils and ink on the first story by LB Cole.

Any opinions?

FLhlNiR.jpg

uQrE9Ij.jpg

Edited by 427Impaler