• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's been 60 YEARS...show us your books from 1956!
1 1

273 posts in this topic

What a great thread!

+1000000

A thread that is not look at my key book worth X amount (Besides the SC 4) is something this board needs more of! This thread is for people who enjoy old funny books! 1956 was a kick azz year!

What a great thread!

+1000000

A thread that is not look at my key book worth X amount (Besides the SC 4) is something this board needs more of! This thread is for people who enjoy old funny books! 1956 was a kick azz year!

I agree 100%! The year 1956 had a plethora of titles not often seen let alone posted including several DC funny animal titles. 1956 also featured a riot of comic book genres including some such as jungle girl that would soon completely disappear from the stands. Moreover the western and war comics that companies such as Atlas, Charlton and Quality were publishing in 1956 were far grittier and thus more interesting than the ones that were still being published later in the Silver Age.

It was a great year for anyone who truly likes comics and not just the business of comics.

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

Whoa! I better post another book.

Kid Colt Outlaw #57. Chock full of Jack Keller stories (one of the few artists I just don't care for) but it does have an awesome one by Al Williamson. And a mighty Heath cover.

KCO57.jpg

Thanks. There are a lot of good 50s books.

BlackKnight5.jpg

Thanks. There are a lot of good 50s books.

You bet there are! Including this otther one you posted:

RealScreen95.jpg

I wish I had some of those Real Screen Comics!

:)

Edited by Hepcat

Kid Colt Outlaw #57. Chock full of Jack Keller stories (one of the few artists I just don't care for) but it does have an awesome one by Al Williamson. And a mighty Heath cover.

KCO57.jpg

I didn't know Russ Heath did any Atlas covers! Yet another reason to add more of those fabulous Kid Colt Outlaw and other Atlas westerns to my collection if and when I can.

And that's a really nice one too!

(thumbs u

I didn't know Russ Heath did any Atlas covers! Yet another reason to add more of those fabulous Kid Colt Outlaw and other Atlas westerns to my collection if and when I can.

And that's a really nice one too!

(thumbs u

Russ drew approx 205 Atlas covers, always good, many superb. Most were in the war, horror and Western genres but he contributed to others as well.

Russ drew approx 205 Atlas covers, always good, many superb. Most were in the war, horror and Western genres but he contributed to others as well.

Joe Maneely was the fellow best known for Atlas covers including this marvelous one that you posted above:

BlackKnight5.jpg

The #5 also had the best cover of the short run.

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

Here are the half dozen comics cover dated April 1956 that I'd most like to add to my collection:

April%20Combat_Casey_Vol_1_27_zpslukt6xor.jpg

Yes! Sock it to them Reds!

April%20Kid-Colt-059_zpszylvlly8.jpg

Beautiful cover featuring the great Kid Colt Outlaw!

April%20True_Tales_of_Love_Vol_1_22_zpshmftni5o.jpg

Mmmmmm! Good girl art by Vince Colletta!

April%20%209df46297a76837ba9cea33042ae8fc0a_l_zpsdoiv1efv.jpg

Hey, just like Cassius Clay! And I'd never even heard of this Charlton title.

April%20c627eaf5512ba3490384ff27e1583b28_l_zpspyj5g3d6.jpg

I need at least one comic in my collection with Bambi's friend Flower on the cover.

April%20KGrHqFncFIdLmHFshBSOgQigQ--60_35_zpslrtew0ar.jpg

How can you go wrong with an Oswald the Rabbit dachshund cover?

:luhv:

Edited by Hepcat

That is a beauty

+1 :applause:

Anytime Russ drew horses or something Western he wanted it to be good enough to gain the approval of his father, a former ranch hand.

While technically a 1957 cover date...... this was actually on the stands in November 1956. They just don't make them like this anymore..... I always thought that this title was the point where Stan and Jack started getting the urge to do something "different". GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

DSCN2489%202.jpg

Edited by jimjum12