• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Sonja Fan Club
5 5

1,280 posts in this topic

The Paul Renaud covers to the first Dynamite series are amazing. When I spotted the sketch variant for only £5 ($7.50), I couldn't believe my luck. Very light blunting at bottom corner. Looks beautiful.

Still not a patch on the Frank Thorne stuff though.

Also got my Art of Red Sonja HC signed by Chaykin and Cho at the con. A really good weekend.

That is the plan.

Thorne could be a bit tricky. At 85, there is little chance he'll be visiting the UK.

The book has really glossy pages which don't take ink too great. Chaykin signed at 8am and his sig was still not fully dry at 16:30 whilst I was queuing for Cho. End up taking it to the rest rooms and holding it under a hand dryer to speed it along.

Those Thorne Covers bring back a lot of memories. Frank lived in New Jersey when he came as a guest of honor in Allentown, Pennsylvania. He wore his Wizard costume and was a great guest, a fan and pro favorite. I had him sign those Red Sonja's and bought a large cover from one of his Atlas books (not the Marvel brand). Very personable guy. Also liked his Ghita work in the Warren series. He gave me a Ghita sketch as a gift. I'll have to dig it out.

So I was thinking again (stop laughing ) and I was wondering why young people and in general the public have all heard of Conan but few have heard of Red Sonja ? True the movie sucked big time :(

You would think the new dynamite covers in the comic shops would pull in the young fellows ?

The older books from the 70s and early 80s seem to be inching up in price slowly but just in high grade -- Were are the new collectors buying up the older books to read ? It has to be the internet and tablets and smart phones making ebooks so easy :(

So I am at work reading my first print 1966 doc savage #8 pocket novel and I look across at coworker with tablet swiping away with her finger and I just love the feel of a paper book and I can not figure it out ? Are there kids out there now that will never read a paper comic book never get to look at the cool adds in the old books ? What memories will the kids have of red Sonja in 20 years ?

This is turning into a depressing post ! lol

160965.png.970c143ea02042fbb89c9c77e74a3622.png

Edited by gyro-1

Got a strange email today

Link - http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3FPreviewCode%3D2016july%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dmarvel%2Bfeature%2B%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item%5F1130099&id=1130099

This seems a great thing :)

But whos set are they selling ?

We are excited to offer the #1 competitive Registry Set of Marvel Feature Volume 2 through CGC and features some of the crown jewels of the run in top grade. This set is 100% and features some of the crown jewels of the run in top grade. It is the only complete set registered and ranks #1 out of 26 Registry sets! All of these books are 9.8 or 9.6, making this an incredibly rare opportunity to acquire the very best examples in existence all in one offering???

----------------

say it isn't so ?

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=74241

Edited by gyro-1