• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

Again, like the 90s

No die cut covers, no 1,000,000 copy print runs, so.....we aren't there again yet.

No but we have 3d covers, sketch covers, reverse sketch covers, sealed black bag packs, combo packs, multiple renumbering of #1 rebooted issues, image pumping out new series after new series of #1's And in some cases 50 plus variants of a #1 issue.

In all honestly I don't think just because there isn't a 1 million plus print run doesn't mean anything compared to today. Readership is way down compared to that time.

Edited by natevegas

If there was 1 million readers out there for the current popular titles, I would be more than thrilled. Unfortunately, what is going on now could be considered even worse than the 90's because the readership isn't there.

It's real simple...just buy the books that have strong story and art, the rest will take care of itself.

Again, like the 90s

No die cut covers, no 1,000,000 copy print runs, so.....we aren't there again yet.

No but we have 3d covers, sketch covers, reverse sketch covers, sealed black bag packs, combo packs, multiple renumbering of #1 rebooted issues, image pumping out new series after new series of #1's And in some cases 50 plus variants of a #1 issue.

In all honestly I don't think just because there isn't a 1 million plus print run doesn't mean anything compared to today. Readership is way down compared to that time.

If there was 1 million readers out there for the current popular titles, I would be more than thrilled. Unfortunately, what is going on now could be considered even worse than the 90's because the readership isn't there.

It's real simple...just buy the books that have strong story and art, the rest will take care of itself.

How do you know this? There is no way to gauge this.

...and it has nothing to do with pre-speculation...

Not sure if it's worth noting or not, but Invincible Iron Man #9 introduced RiRi Williams. She's like the new Iron Woman.

So it's NOT

Mary Jane?

Edited by ygogolak

Not sure if it's worth noting or not, but Invincible Iron Man #9 introduced RiRi Williams. She's like the new Iron Woman.

So it's NOT Mary Jane?

Correct. Sorry if I just spoiled that for people.

The 90's readership reached those levels in large part because individuals were buying cases of comics for investments. Is that really better than what is happening today?

Again, like the 90s

I too have to wonder how many people were actually "reading" comics in 1992. clearly more were buying them, or more were bought. i'm guessing more people were too simply because there were like 3-4X as many shops that were surviving. I'm not sure if there were more shows though as now it seems every city has a few shows and some have many more and I don't think all these big shows existed 25 years ago. NYC had a big show at the javitz once during the 90s, but otherwise it was a bunch of smaller shows at the Penn Pavilion, St. Paul's Church and that other place in Chelsea.

Supreme Power MAX #2 - 1st appearance of Nighthawk, new series coming in the current rebooted Marvel Universe

Na, that's just the 1st appearance of Kyle Richmond.

Nighthawk 1st appearance is issue # 4

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Supreme_Power_Vol_1_4

Ah, a new series will bring back some interest, right? How did that work out for Red Wolf...Midnighter...Klarion...hmm

Supreme Power MAX #2 - 1st appearance of Nighthawk, new series coming in the current rebooted Marvel Universe

Ah, a new series will bring back some interest, right? How did that work out for Red Wolf...Midnighter...Klarion...hmm

1st Midnighter

This book sells well. Even in VF it does okay. I bought them a lot cheaper prior to the new book.

Black vigilante super hero, this time may be different

I'll have to dig out my Supreme Power series, haven't read it in a long time. However just read the SP Nighthawk series again for probably the 10th time. So so good

1st Midnighter

This book sells well. Even in VF it does okay. I bought them a lot cheaper prior to the new book.

I'll take your word for it, but that book was always a $20 book.

Again, like the 90s

I too have to wonder how many people were actually "reading" comics in 1992. clearly more were buying them, or more were bought. i'm guessing more people were too simply because there were like 3-4X as many shops that were surviving. I'm not sure if there were more shows though as now it seems every city has a few shows and some have many more and I don't think all these big shows existed 25 years ago. NYC had a big show at the javitz once during the 90s, but otherwise it was a bunch of smaller shows at the Penn Pavilion, St. Paul's Church and that other place in Chelsea.

How much of that was just that it was harder to get the word out pre-Internet? Maybe you just never heard of them?

Black vigilante super hero, this time may be different

I'll have to dig out my Supreme Power series, haven't read it in a long time. However just read the SP Nighthawk series again for probably the 10th time. So so good

While I get the point I just cant see that series appreciating. I guess a comparison would be what Nick Fury in Ultimates?

Id got with originals instead there.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Anyone getting the Horseman of Apocalypse variants?

Extremely limited here in Portland.

Stores had few to none.

4x stores with no Black widow 3, thunderbolts 1, iron man 9, etc. TFAW said they might have changed the ratio on them, and they didn't have any in stock beside one copy of punisher #1. Clerk checked and none for order on TFAW.com as well.

(shrug)hm

Seems to be 7-10 copies each on the bay, pretty standard, but it's a ghost town around here.

What's it look like elsewhere..?..

I got the Punisher one. The rest were hard to find. I will say that the 1:25 Punisher was no where to be seen

Still can't figure out why these Apocalypse Variants are so hard to find. NO new listings since yesterday morning on eBay of a new variant is unusual. Sold out everywhere here, only three sellers on eBay seem to have any right now hm

well, I went and done did it.

I went to an LCS today and discussed quantity. I have been to two others but no one wants to give more than 30%. I am not ready to order cases but am hoping I get there.

So like I said, I done did it.

I ordered 2 titles - 25 copies per issue on one and 30 copies on the other title. Some will sit and some I will slab immediately. The second title I upped it to 50 copies the following issue but I want to start slowly. I had to talk myself down from ordering 50-100 of both but there is really no need for that. I am just looking for some speculation fun. The seed money has come from profits on selling other moderns and trades so let's kick it up a notch!.

I almost got a few Rebirth issues but realized that the volume is secondary to the fun and that increasing the volume will not necessarily increase my fun. Likely the opposite when many issues take a dive!