• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,403 posts in this topic

.another example of a book that presents exceedingly well in the slab, irrespective of the "PQ" on the label.

-J.

+1

It does look nice in the slab.

It really does. Would likely have graded higher if PQ was not brittle I think.

I surprised it went that high with brittle pages as well.

However, this book is just exceeding all expectations at this point. I would not have bid on that book.

I know the underbidder and he legitimately lost out so it was not a shill situation for sure.

.another example of a book that presents exceedingly well in the slab, irrespective of the "PQ" on the label.

-J.

it graded a 1.8 due to the pq, not irrespective of it (thumbs u

A 1.8 with nice pq that presented that well would have sold for close to 10k (I say that because that's about what I'd pay)

4.0 eye appeal with hidden defect would be my kind of book!

-J.

A 1.8 with nice pq that presented that well would have sold for close to 10k (I say that because that's about what I'd pay)

Since you chimed in...

What would you pay for a 4.0 with a hidden defect?

Or an "average" 5.0?

-J.

Since you chimed in...

What would you pay for a 4.0 with a hidden defect?

Or an "average" 5.0?

I believe a 4.0 is 15k+ and a 5.0 seems to have established sales at 25+

I would retail copies for that and buy at a high (90+) %

But if I could buy a 1.8 that had 4.0 eye appeal, I'd pay 10ish

-J.

4.0 books can have "brittle pages" on the label too. (shrug)

Either way that's a wild result for a 1.8. I personally don't think the "PQ" on the label mattered much, if at all.

The book just looks great in the slab.

-J.

I believe 4.0 is highest cgc will grade a book with brittle pages and 6.5? Highest with slightly brittle

Bad Pq is absolutely a big part of grade...just ask Paul or anyone that has ever graded at cgc

So this 1.8 would have graded higher by cgc if not for the brittle page notation. That's a "fact" so our opinions are not relevant

This copy would have sold for thousands more if not for the brittle pages (bc it would have graded higher with better pq)

I believe 4.0 is highest cgc will grade a book with brittle pages and 6.5? Highest with slightly brittle

Bad Pq is absolutely a big part of grade...just ask Paul or anyone that has ever graded at cgc

So this 1.8 would have graded higher by cgc if not for the brittle page notation. That's a "fact" so our opinions are not relevant

This copy would have sold for thousands more if not for the brittle pages (bc it would have graded higher with better pq)

Agreed, if the book had a higher grade it would likely have sold for more (irrespective of the "PQ" on the label ).

But it's my understanding that, in these low grade ranges, the grade is not hit further for the "PQ" on the label. Can you have a natural 9.0 that says "brittle pages"? Probably not. But a low grade 1.8? Yes.

-J.

Agreed, if the book had a higher grade it would likely have sold for more (irrespective of the "PQ" on the label ).

But it's my understanding that, in these low grade ranges, the grade is not hit further for the "PQ" on the label. Can you have a natural 9.0 that says "brittle pages"? Probably not. But a low grade 1.8? Yes.

-J.

Then I am Happy I can help you with your understanding then :foryou:

At some point a book can't grade any lower (.5) so pq can't affect it more. But a book that is a 1.0 with brittle pages would be higher if pages were better. A 1.8 with brittle pages would grade higher with better pq, etc. That is a fact...just ask cgc ... So in every grade above the minimum, the pq factors in when brittle (thumbs u

-J.

At some point a book can't grade any lower (.5) so pq can't affect it more. But a book that is a 1.0 with brittle pages would be higher if pages were better. A 1.8 with brittle pages would grade higher with better pq, etc. That is a fact...just ask cgc ... So in every grade above the minimum, the pq factors in when brittle (thumbs u

Not to belabor the point , but I would be curious as to your thoughts on this book, which has both a detached cover and "brittle pages" on the label, and still got a 2.5...

http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/CGCWhiteness/30_Brittle/2.5_Brittle.jpg

-J.

Either way that's a wild result for a 1.8. I personally don't think the "PQ" on the label mattered much, if at all.

-J.

Do you really think the price wouldn't have been substantially higher if the book had, say, CR-OW pages? hm

-J.

Do you really think the price wouldn't have been substantially higher if the book had, say, CR-OW pages? hm

On this copy, absolutely. Bc it wouldn't have been a 1.8 if it had cr/ow pages. It would have been a 3.0 or whatever #

Now a 1.8 with cr/ow that had other defect that made it a 1.8 might have ended around the same

-J.

Not to belabor the point , but I would be curious as to your thoughts on this book, which has both a detached cover and "brittle pages" on the label, and still got a 2.5...

http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/CGCWhiteness/30_Brittle/2.5_Brittle.jpg

-J.

4.0 is highest a detached cover can grade, I believe

So the brittle pages lowered it to a 2.5 all else equal

-J.

On this copy, absolutely. Bc it wouldn't have been a 1.8 if it had cr/ow pages. It would have been a 3.0 or whatever #

Now a 1.8 with cr/ow that had other defect that made it a 1.8 might have ended around the same

I suppose so, but it would take severe defects to have the same effect on my willingness to buy that brittle pages do.

-J.

I suppose so, but it would take severe defects to have the same effect on my willingness to buy that brittle pages do.

Many folks stay away from brittle. But obviously not all

And there are varying degrees of paper brittleness ...

There are pages where the paper is so dry it cracks and chips and flakes at a slight touch

There are pages where it's dried out in one spot and it's deemed brittle while 95% of the rest of the paper is supple

Those two examples are on opposite ends but they're both designated as brittle

There are pages where the paper is so dry it cracks and chips and flakes at a slight touch

There are pages where it's dried out in one spot and it's deemed brittle while 95% of the rest of the paper is supple

I really wish CGC would distinguish between the two because I can tolerate the second situation with one dried out spot, but I wouldn't buy a book where the entire spine is splitting/crumbling away. Unfortunately just seeing "brittle" on the label forces you to assume the worst, when many times it isn't.

I really wish CGC would distinguish between the two because I can tolerate the second situation with one dried out spot, but I wouldn't buy a book where the entire spine is splitting/crumbling away. Unfortunately just seeing "brittle" on the label forces you to assume the worst, when many times it isn't.

Do the grader's notes provide any more detail? I don't think I've ever bought them on a book with brittle pages.

I've never looked at graders notes but I submited a book that the pages I didn't think were bad at all ...did the corner flick test and no problems... Book came back with brittle pages but it's certainly one I'm happy to own