• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

I remember years ago a board member on here who was purchasing all the significant War books in relation to the development of Sgt.Rock according to Chris Pedrins Big Five and he was saying which books he was having trouble acquiring in high grade. Was it anybody currently on here now or did anybody else try and do the same exercise and if so which books did they find hard to find in high grade..

I remember years ago a board member on here who was purchasing all the significant War books in relation to the development of Sgt.Rock according to Chris Pedrins Big Five and he was saying which books he was having trouble acquiring in high grade. Was it anybody currently on here now or did anybody else try and do the same exercise and if so which books did they find hard to find in high grade..

As far as I know, ALL the Sgt. Rock prototype (and Easy Co.) books are Very Hard to find in the higher grades.

But I think you're probably looking for some more detail than I am giving.

As far as I know, ALL the Sgt. Rock prototype (and Easy Co.) books are Very Hard to find in the higher grades.

Pretty much every 10cent DC war book is very hard to find in high grade.

Pretty much every 10cent DC war book is very hard to find in high grade.

Yes, there is that.

There are 100's of comics that together constitute the comic book segment called "10-cent DC War". ALL of them are very hard to find in the higher grades, including of course, the Sgt. Rock prototypes, as well as all else within it.

Yes true but he did list his top 3 and i was curious to see if anybody remembered what they were as i was going to check the census to see how many high grade copies there are. Unfortunately a search only goes back 1 year now when it use to be 10 when the boards first started and that would have covered it. I do recall him saying that the cover of one of them has been used again on a reprint title. Anyone fancy playing detective?

Yes true but he did list his top 3 and i was curious to see if anybody remembered what they were as i was going to check the census to see how many high grade copies there are. Unfortunately a search only goes back 1 year now when it use to be 10 when the boards first started and that would have covered it. I do recall him saying that the cover of one of them has been used again on a reprint title. Anyone fancy playing detective?

Was it top-3 as in hardest ones to find in high grade, or top-3 as in the most significant Sgt. Rock prototypes? (I think you mean the former, right?)

Was it top-3 as in hardest ones to find in high grade, or top-3 as in the most significant Sgt. Rock prototypes? (I think you mean the former, right?)

Yes definitely the former. He said something like 'these are the 3 top Sgt.Rock prototypes i have had trouble finding/acquiring in high grade.'

Yes definitely the former. He said something like 'these are the 3 top Sgt.Rock prototypes i have had trouble finding/acquiring in high grade.'

You can search back to the time you're looking for.

Just adjust the two search periods. The search periods cannot be longer than a year, but, you can wiggle them to find what you need.

You can put "older than" 4 years, "newer than" 5 years. Then search. Nothing? Try 5 and 6.

For DC war we almost need to redefine the term "high grade". Once I completed my runs of the Big5, I started working on getting specific issues in high grade. There are a lot that are impossible to find above a vf. I also collect PCH and as tough as that genre is, at least there are high grade pedigrees to make me happy (between Gaines and Harvey file copies, River City, etc). For DC war it's what, Salida? There just aren't huge high grade runs out there. I have a hit list of a handful of books I started looking for pretty intensely last year, and I've found a lot more of the PCH in grade than I have DC war. For instance, try finding a vf or better SSWS 90, or really ANY dino issue below 100. Last I checked the highest in the census for 90 was an 8.0.

There are a little over 400 DC 10 cent war books and approx 1300 - 1500 PCH books (how many there are depends on how you categorize various issues) so, all things equal, you would expect to see more PCH peds than DC peds.

Even when there are pedigree copies of DC war books, however, I think the owners are even less likely to sell than are the PCH pedigree owners.