• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal monsters of old come together again - WATCH OUT!
1 1

280 posts in this topic

Annabelle Wallis in Talks to Join Tom Cruise in 'The Mummy'

Annabelle Wallis, one of the stars of the British gangster drama Peaky Blinders, is in talks to feature opposite Tom Cruise in Universal's The Mummy.

The Mummy is being directed by Alex Kurtzman and is planned as the first feature in a series of interconnected monster movies as the studio hopes to build a cinematic universe out of its vault of classic creature features.

Sofia Boutella, who had a breakout role in Kingsman: The Secret Service, is playing the titular role.

Annabelle+Wallis+XHWfa8qpj_Ym.jpg

Four pages and no mention of Monster Squad? This is great news!

First thing I thought of as well!!! My little sister and I used to watch this over and over and over again, in fact about 10 years or so ago she got me this for Christmas!! Great flick :cloud9:

21172568644_4a28fe85a8_c.jpg

I have this too! Interesting to see the special features: Tom Noonan explaining his process for Frankenstein, he took it very seriously. And interesting how Duncan Regehr had a major problem with scaring the little girl Phoebe and calling her a "person_without_enough_empathy."

BTW I think the Dracula by Duncan Regehr is the best portrayal of Dracula EVER.

So an increase in the value of Fury's Howling Commandos, or unaffected? :baiting:

Nick_Fury%27s_Howling_Commandos_Vol_1_1.jpg

Such a cool series and totally unappreciated by non-Marvel-Monster lovers. Also, issue #2 marks the first appearance of the real/modern Groot - the first time he's a hero and not a big tree monster from the early 60s. That's important to the Marvel Universe IMHO

Tom Cruise's concern is real in the first on-set pictures from The Mummy

The story follows Navy Seal Tyler Colt (Tom Cruise) and his mission in the Iraqi desert to find terrorists hiding out in a bunker. Upon further inspection, their targets turn out to be grave robbers who have all died under mysterious circumstances. Tyler and his team contend with mystical forces as they realize they're actually inside of an ancient tomb. It is here that he's cursed with visions of Ashurbanipal, King of Assyria, AKA The Mummy. How that ties into Sofia Boutella, who's playing the titular character, is unknown, but we do have the first set-pictures featuring Cruise and his co-star Annabelle Wallis.

THE MUMMY is scheduled to be released on June 9, 2017.

the-mummy-setpics-01.jpg

Courtney B. Vance Cast In The Mummy

courtneyvancemummy-179167.png

Following his standout performance as Johnnie Cochran in FX'S The People vs. OJ Simpson, Courtney B. Vance has landed a role in Universal's latest reboot of The Mummy.

The 56-year-old actor, also known for his roles in Law & Order: Criminal Intent and The Hunt for Red October, joins a cast that includes Tom Cruise, Sofia Boutella, Annabelle Wallis and Jake Johnson.

Untitled Universal Monster Movie Slated for 2019

Universal has just sent out a press release announcing Untitled Universal Monster Franchise Film for February 15, 2019. Because release dates are the most important thing to studios, there are no details on the project beyond the fact that it will be overseen by Alex Kurtzman (Star Trek series) and Chris Morgan (Fast & Furious series), which we already knew. Universal wouldn’t even reveal which Universal Monster would be coming our way in 2019.

Right now, the only concrete entry in the series (unless they choose to retroactively treat Dracula Untold like the true beginning, and based on that film’s lack of success, they probably won’t) is The Mummy, which is currently filming and stars Tom Cruise. That film is set to open June 9, 2017. There’s also another “Untitled Universal Monster Franchise Film” slated for April 13, 2018, but we have no idea what that could be. Could it be Wolf Man? The Invisible Man? Frankenstein? Bride of Frankenstein? Dracula (again)? The Creature from the Black Lagoon? We’ll just have to wait and see.

Untitled Universal Monster Movie Slated for 2019

Universal has just sent out a press release announcing Untitled Universal Monster Franchise Film for February 15, 2019. Because release dates are the most important thing to studios, there are no details on the project beyond the fact that it will be overseen by Alex Kurtzman (Star Trek series) and Chris Morgan (Fast & Furious series), which we already knew. Universal wouldn’t even reveal which Universal Monster would be coming our way in 2019.

Right now, the only concrete entry in the series (unless they choose to retroactively treat Dracula Untold like the true beginning, and based on that film’s lack of success, they probably won’t) is The Mummy, which is currently filming and stars Tom Cruise. That film is set to open June 9, 2017. There’s also another “Untitled Universal Monster Franchise Film” slated for April 13, 2018, but we have no idea what that could be. Could it be Wolf Man? The Invisible Man? Frankenstein? Bride of Frankenstein? Dracula (again)? The Creature from the Black Lagoon? We’ll just have to wait and see.

IMHO, if one has any interest in these upcoming Universal updates, you might want to catch up on Penny Dreadful. They have branched out to include many of Universals Monsters and a few more for good measure...and I find it all quite well done. (thumbs u

IMHO, if one has any interest in these upcoming Universal updates, you might want to catch up on Penny Dreadful. They have branched out to include many of Universals Monsters and a few more for good measure...and I find it all quite well done. (thumbs u

I totally agree with you. And what a warmup to the movie franchise.

:whee:

Speaking of which...

Russell Crowe In Early Talks To Join Tom Cruise In Universal's THE MUMMY As 'Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde'

Universal Pictures' highly ambitious Monster Movie Universe has already signed two of the biggest, if not the biggest, movie stars in the world in Tom Cruise and Johnny Depp, have courted other A-listers in Angelina Jolie and Scarlett Johansson, and now, they're on the verge of potentially adding an Academy Award-winning talent - Russell Crowe.

Deadline broke the news earlier this afternoon that Crowe had entered early talks with Universal to join The Mummy, which is currently filming in London, and while they didn't provide details on his role, The Hollywood Reporter was able to reveal that if his deal closes, he'll be portraying the tormented Dr. Jekyll and his murderous alter-ego Mr. Hyde, which should be exciting news for fans of the genre. The extent of his role in The Mummy is uncertain, but it's being described as a cameo that could potentially expand into his own solo feature.

The list of actors they are lining up for these roles is very impressive!

Universal Releases A Cryptic Synopsis For Tom Cruise's THE MUMMY; Russell Crowe Confirms Role

SYNOPSIS: Tom Cruise headlines a spectacular, all-new cinematic version of the legend that has fascinated cultures all over the world since the dawn of civilization: The Mummy.

Thought safely entombed in a crypt deep beneath the unforgiving desert, an ancient queen (Sofia Boutella of Kingsman: The Secret Service and Star Trek Beyond) whose destiny was unjustly taken from her is awakened in our current day, bringing with her malevolence grown over millennia and terrors that defy human comprehension.

From the sweeping sands of the Middle East through hidden labyrinths under modern-day London, The Mummy brings a surprising intensity and balance of wonder and thrills in an imaginative new take that ushers in a new world of gods and monsters.

And Russell Crowe is confirmed as Dr. Jekyll.

Yx6U3Ff.png

:whee:

UGH. I do have to concede that Tom Cruise was great as Lestat. If it was Rice's Mummy, I might want to see that.

As for Crowe... :puke:

SYNOPSIS: Tom Cruise headlines a spectacular, all-new cinematic version of the legend that has fascinated cultures all over the world since the dawn of civilization: The Mummy.

Thought safely entombed in a crypt deep beneath the unforgiving desert, an ancient queen (Sofia Boutella of Kingsman: The Secret Service and Star Trek Beyond) whose destiny was unjustly taken from her is awakened in our current day, bringing with her malevolence grown over millennia and terrors that defy human comprehension.

From the sweeping sands of the Middle East through hidden labyrinths under modern-day London, The Mummy brings a surprising intensity and balance of wonder and thrills in an imaginative new take that ushers in a new world of gods and monsters.

My one hope, though, is that whoever wrote that synopsis stays far far away from the screenplay!

It also makes me wonder how many cultures there actually WERE at the dawn of civilization.

Edited by ThatPovGuy

UGH. I do have to concede that Tom Cruise was great as Lestat. If it was Rice's Mummy, I might want to see that.

'Hey mister...you dropped this.'

McoQXf2.png

:baiting:

'Hey mister...you dropped this.'

McoQXf2.png

:baiting:

It's a VALID opinion