• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
26 26

8,204 posts in this topic

Just picked this nice lot of magazines and others not shown. Lots is cartoon art. I've recognized a few names, but need to take a more focused look some day. Most are dated 1932 range. Very colorful and adult humor. Some vol 1 no 1. Not the easiest to research.

image_zpsylbjz8uo.jpeg

Just picked this nice lot of magazines and others not shown. Lots is cartoon art. I've recognized a few names, but need to take a more focused look some day. Most are dated 1932 range. Very colorful and adult humor. Some vol 1 no 1. Not the easiest to research.

image_zpsylbjz8uo.jpeg

That is so cool! Do you have a picture of that 2nd KooKoo magazine (the one underneath)? I actually have that green one and would love to see what the red one looks like. I'd like to see the Hullaballoo's (EDIT: OOPS I MEAN HOOEY) too (I have one somewhere, and it has very unusual cover art). That looks like a cool Marx Brothers comic there... Wow!

Where did you find that, anyway? What a treasure trove! (You selling any of this stuff?)

Ive been lucky to know the brother of a deceased hoarder who has been selling me comics (175 long boxes to date) and just recently he pulled this box of mags and I bought them Friday. I think I am addicted to color.

As you request.

image_zpsmduqcvlt.jpeg

Hey! I just realized, your April copy of Hullaballoo has something cool inside of it...

Open it up, I think to the middle. Then look for something that became familiar starting in the mid-1950s. I'll give you a hint: It's the face of a very deranged-looking individual. Go ahead and look inside that magazine, and come back and tell us what you find!

So this magazine was out 20 years prior to the founding of Mad Magazine.

The missing-tooth, big-ears, floppy-haired, uneven-eyed, kooky-looking kid was a "meme" (or whatever those old-timers called it) dating back to the 1800s. He shows up in old advertisements for elixirs and all sorts of weird stuff. Mad Magazine toyed around with it a few times in the edges of their cover art (I think starting with comic #21 or something), and also in the little details of their first few magazines. Then for issue #30, they did a big version of the face, and it was one of their best-selling issues. So they kept using it.

Your Hullaballoo magazine is one of the earliest appearances in a magazine that I've heard about. You lucky dog.

So this magazine was out 20 years prior to the founding of Mad Magazine.

The missing-tooth, big-ears, floppy-haired, uneven-eyed, kooky-looking kid was a "meme" (or whatever those old-timers called it) dating back to the 1800s. He shows up in old advertisements for elixirs and all sorts of weird stuff. Mad Magazine toyed around with it a few times in the edges of their cover art (I think starting with comic #21 or something), and also in the little details of their first few magazines. Then for issue #30, they did a big version of the face, and it was one of their best-selling issues. So they kept using it.

Your Hullaballoo magazine is one of the earliest appearances in a magazine that I've heard about. You lucky dog.

Well I certainly appreciate the heads up. Sure I want to give these all a good lookin over. I did see Mickey and Mini in a little parody cartoon. Got to be more hidden treasures. Thanks D'hick