• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes an A–Level PREACHER page?
2 2

413 posts in this topic

So thanks to all of you bums (I mean fellow friends and collectors really I do :grin: ) I had to go out and get myself a Preacher page. Not sure it's an A page, but it works for me. Plus who doesn't want a page with Arseface in it.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1304124&GSub=135126

Also a fun tidbit. It has $75 written in pencil on the back of the page. Not even close to what I paid for it. Wish I knew I was going to get into this hobby 20 years ago and tell the younger me to save those pennies more.

If the albatross gets too heavy, let me know :shy:

I never got any main storyline pages for $75, but I did get some SOYKW pages for $35 :preach:

Great page, congrats!!

I talked to Scott Dunbier recently. He was the dealer who sold all the early PREACHER pages (the first 30 or so issues?). The most expensive ones were $90. I also have pages that still have the original price in pencil. Incredibly cheap in retrospect, but in fairness, I wouldn't have guessed these pages would have shot up so much in value, either. Kirby, yes. Ditko, yes. Dillon PREACHER? Yeah right!

Thanks Felix.

You are right. Only certain artists or characters seem to warrant that increase in price, but Dillon on Preacher is one I never would have guessed either. I wonder if we will start seeing prices climb for pages from YTLM and Fables and such. Those hold a special place with some of my fellow friends have no superheroes attached to them.

Edited by staffman

Great page, congrats!!

I talked to Scott Dunbier recently. He was the dealer who sold all the early PREACHER pages (the first 30 or so issues?). The most expensive ones were $90. I also have pages that still have the original price in pencil. Incredibly cheap in retrospect, but in fairness, I wouldn't have guessed these pages would have shot up so much in value, either. Kirby, yes. Ditko, yes. Dillon PREACHER? Yeah right!

Thanks Felix.

You are right. Only certain artists or characters seem to warrant that increase in price, but Dillon on Preacher is one I never would have guessed either. I wonder if we will start seeing prices climb for pages from YTLM and Fables and such. Those hold a special place with some of my fellow friends have no superheroes attached to them.

Nice grab. I liked this page a lot for the self-contained gag. It's not a key story moment, but it has great, funny character development that can even be appreciated by non-Preacher fans.

As for Y, it's already getting a bit pricey, IMO. I've seen panel pages sell for more than you paid for this Preacher page.

Fables isn't in the same league for me (other than JJ's covers).

In my opinion, the big thing Preacher has going for it is the word balloons.

Preacher, Fables, Y... none are books with fan-favorite artists. Prices are escalating because of the stories/writers, not because Steve Dillon or Pia Guerra drew them.

Same actually goes for Dave Gibbons. If you just want something he did a great job of drawing, you can find a page for a couple hundred bucks. Want a nice page from Watchmen or the Superman story? Multiply that couple hundred bucks X 100.

Which brings us back to Preacher: I think the fact that the pages all have their balloons on them directly translates to increased nostalgia for the moments depicted, which of course means they will do better over the long run than Y or Fables.

(just my 2¢ of course)

I totally agree in theory, but there was that one Y auction (clink maybe) where a non-word bubble Y page featuring Yorick and Other Beth in the graveyard beat a really nice early word bubble Y page. Maybe that was an outlier, but who knows?

On the other hand, I tend to think that a digital overlay of word bubbles would be perfectly fine if you want to enhance a digital-bubble page. I mean the original sequential art is what we're really after, right?

On the other hand, I tend to think that a digital overlay of word bubbles would be perfectly fine if you want to enhance a digital-bubble page.

On anything costing over a grand, this is an easy no-brainer solution. Have your cake and eat it too :)

On the other hand, I tend to think that a digital overlay of word bubbles would be perfectly fine if you want to enhance a digital-bubble page.

On anything costing over a grand, this is an easy no-brainer solution. Have your cake and eat it too :)

Those are good points. (I'm used to these things being >$300 pages)

I think it'd have gone even a bit higher if not for the content of the story being told on the page. Yes, Preacher fans are sick and twisted, but....

O.K., I get that. I purchased a page years ago and the seller said that even though he was a fan, he didn't like the story the girl was telling about getting revenge on her dad and the extent of what she would do to do it. (31pg01).

I did think the page was pretty high for a single panel of Jesse. I guess the Jesse Tax from here on out it going to be $1,000 per page (per panel? :facepalm: )

Even without the Jesse Tax the floor seems to be rising even without the 'big 3(or4)' making an appearance.

Not even 24 hours into the auction and PREACHER 55 Page 23 is already $1000 :o . If it goes much higher I will be doubly :o:o

Yeah, I don't understand the early action on that #55 page. I guess the market was just really hungry for a page with lots of Herr Starr. It doesn't even have interesting dialog, IMO.

Still far from an A page... I wonder what it would take to get an A page now. I haven't seen one come up in a long time. When one finally reaches the auction block, it could be a bloodbath.