• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oakland Pedigree List?
1 1

159 posts in this topic

To the best of my knowledge, the Oakland comics weren't pressed when brought to market. However, at least a few of them have been cracked and pressed since then. The Groovy #3 I posted earlier is almost certainly an example, since it used to be in a 9.4 old label slab, and the edges of the new label 9.6 version make it look pressed.

As for how far back the collection goes, I think the high grade dates to 1967, or maybe the end of '66. It's got gorgeous books, including some issues that are scarce in high grade, but it's a stretch to consider it a pedigree rather than just a sweet collection.

As for how far back the collection goes, I think the high grade dates to 1967, or maybe the end of '66. It's got gorgeous books, including some issues that are scarce in high grade, but it's a stretch to consider it a pedigree rather than just a sweet collection.

Yes, if the collection goes back to only 1967 or so, I strongly doubt that it would be designated as an official pedigree by CGC if it was a new discovery coming to market today. (shrug)

Still some really nice UHG books in there though, albeit not really that early or HTF in terms of pedigree quality. (thumbs u

Edited by lou_fine

Is it safe to assume that most "slabbed" Oakland's were pressed to achieve 9.6 and 9.8 status or is it more reasonable to assume unpressed. To those of you that submitted the raw books yourselves, did you hedge your bets by having them pressed?

I'm going through a large OO collection with unread multiple copies and even in review out of thousands of comics, a true 9.6/9.8 unpressed book is not a given due to minor non color breaking handling/storage/production issues. Many will easily achieve high grades with a press but the ratio is not 1:1 for high grade. More likely 1:10.

I bought my Oakland's slabbed but I don't think they were pressed first.

Barton: can you comment on the Thor's I got from you?

Sorry, Michael. I missed this.

I didn't have any of my Oakland Thors pressed. I had them slabbed in the early days of CGC and pressing wasn't as affordable back then. But beyond that, they were probably already 9.6s or better without any TLC.

To the best of my knowledge, the Oakland comics weren't pressed when brought to market. However, at least a few of them have been cracked and pressed since then. The Groovy #3 I posted earlier is almost certainly an example, since it used to be in a 9.4 old label slab, and the edges of the new label 9.6 version make it look pressed.

I'm 99.9% sure the Oakland books weren't pressed when they were brought to market. I've told the story before, but I took the longest subway ride of my life from the West Village to Far Rockaway where Vincent, Mike C., and Bob Storms were processing the books in Vincent's parent's basement. It was July 1998 and it was box after box of Comic Book Heaven.

The earliest books I bought that day were Avengers #41 (6/67) and ASM #60 (5/68). I think I was probably the first guy in after Bob and I don't remember any books from before 1967.

When was this, Bob? Which ones did you get?

???

Very cool nonetheless!

(thumbs u

I bought my Oaklands directly from Vinnie's Collectibles at a convention in Chicago, somewhere in the 1998 timeframe. Though the collection was very new to market, it was still picked over by the time I saw it. I bought all DC, most of the Marvel was taken, maybe I got one X-men. I was happy to fill in a lot of holes in my collection and they came with a cool COA. In hindsight, I would have bought them all !

Edited by bomber-bob

In hindsight, I would have bought them all !

But we never have/had enough money to do what we should/would have anyway! I did some selective buying when Diamond Galleries sent out that gorgeous red catalogue featuring their Harvey file copies in the mid-nineties. I've often kicked myself ever since for having been so selective, instead of just buying one of just about everything. But of course I didn't have the disposable cash to be much more than selective anyway.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat