• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I think Batman was too consumed by his demons at the time. The dream/future sequence put him further off track.

This is the situation I was picking up on from the discussions between Alfred and Bruce. He had become a creature born of rage versus society's protector. And if people he branded ate on suffered, so be it.

It has. But use of that coincidence was lazy, IMHO.

Why was it Lois Lane tracking the source of the bullets rather than the detective?

If Bats was true to himself, he would have connected those dots before taking the actions he did.

And that would have led to the moment of realisation that was required.

They still could have had the initial encounter, but Snyder wanted a showdown following that and then had to shoehorn in a turning point.

Could it be Bruce Wayne had lost himself so much in vengeance due to years or pain and suffering he had gotten away from his core strength?

I wasn't as troubled with the scene. But I sure appreciate a more logical discussion.

:whee:

I write fantasy for a hobby (and with a 220,000 word manuscript currently out there, I hope it will soon be professionally) and one of the keystones of such ventures is internal consistency. You can set stuff up however you like, but you than must be true to it. Some lazy authors use the 'magical sword' device...when it comes down to it, the sword/orb/talisman will suddenly provide a hitherto unknown property to solve the problem.

That's what Marthagate felt like to me. There were other ways of reaching the required point, ways that would have been more true to the characters and the story that had gone before, but they were sacrificed for the 'big scene'.

I think Batman was too consumed by his demons at the time. The dream/future sequence put him further off track.

This is the situation I was picking up on from the discussions between Alfred and Bruce. He had become a creature born of rage versus society's protector. And if people he branded ate on suffered, so be it.

You know what? If DC had done this film out of cannon - as Miller did with so much of the source material - I would have had less of a problem. The fact that this is supposed to the cornerstone of the new DCU grates, because in so many ways it's an extreme interpretation of where these characters might go, not how they might start out.

You know what? If DC had done this film out of cannon...

If you're going to be writing professionally soon, you should probably know...

Cannon-625x415.jpg

...THIS is a cannon.

Edited by Chip Cataldo

You know what? If DC had done this film out of cannon...

If you're going to be writing professionally soon, you should probably know...

Cannon-625x415.jpg

...THIS is a cannon.

I think that's why they employ editors and copy editors?

Although I'm sure your own manuscript needed neither...

The real reasons for a change of heart should have been much more nuanced...but Snyder went for the drama and missed the mark entirely.

Bats is the world's best detective...could he not have investigated, figured things out, weighed the possibilities...and then decided that his emotional response to the destruction of Metropolis was wrong?

Not if you want a mid-battle enlightenment, he couldn't. :/

The foundation of the entire story is something new. A Batman we've never seen before.

This Batman has already had a twenty year career in a world without Superman.

And the story opens with this Batman well along a downward spiral, becoming 'cruel' (as Alfred puts it). Thinking he's wasted his life. Bitter.

Anyway, Batman of this story isn't at the top of his game. Just the opposite. And his motivations are in line with his mindset. He did everything you mention (investigated, figured things out, weighed the possibilities), becoming Luthor's pawn and almost Superman's killer.

The real reasons for a change of heart should have been much more nuanced...but Snyder went for the drama and missed the mark entirely.

Bats is the world's best detective...could he not have investigated, figured things out, weighed the possibilities...and then decided that his emotional response to the destruction of Metropolis was wrong?

The foundation of the entire story is something new. A Batman we've never seen before.

And the story opens with this Batman well along a downward spiral, becoming 'cruel' (as Alfred puts it). Thinking he's wasted his life. Bitter.

Anyway, Batman of this story isn't at the top of his game. Just the opposite. And his motivations are in line with his mindset. He did everything you mention (investigated, figured things out, weighed the possibilities), becoming Luthor's pawn and almost Superman's killer.

And there lies the problem with the movie for me. I would like to have seen a Ben Affleck version of Batman in his prime or at least some crime fighting version of Batman before I got this aged bitter version.

I will admit that my Batman canon ended in the late '70s Bronze Age, so I may not be acquainted with the copper or modern age tortured wreckless version that was portrayed in the movie.

And there lies the problem with the movie for me. I would like to have seen a Ben Affleck version of Batman in his prime or at least some crime fighting version of Batman before I got this aged bitter version.

I will admit that my Batman canon ended in the late '70s Bronze Age, so I may not be acquainted with the copper or modern age tortured wreckless version that was portrayed in the movie.

This was a version unseen by anyone (as far as I know).

It's an Elseworld-tale of a world with a Batman and no Superman.

So what happens to the 'dark' when there's no 'light' for a counter-balance? In this story it gets darker, downright ugly, desperate and twisted. Took twenty years. Not pretty. Then he shows up. Superman. And they write "a puff-piece editorial every time he pulls a cat out of a tree." Don't they realize he could be a world-killer? Batman does.

But, by the end, the writers get us to a place most Batman/Superman stories begin. Batman inspired by Superman. Superman raised the bar. A twisting-turning path leading to "World's Finest" familiar terrain.

Chapter one. Very clever. Now let's see where it goes. Can't wait. Justice League.

Hey! We made an epic blockbuster that was both critically reviled and ignored by audiences after folks actually saw it and word-of-mouth got around.

Or either of the last TWO Batman films.

I'm a big fan of selective examples, such as yours...

Try this;

it may match the Average World Wide Gross (even inflation adjusted) of the Nolan Batman Trilogy!!! A Trilogy which was simply ADORED by both Critics and Fans. How big of a bust is that????:headbang:

Ultron sucked. :P

It's better than BVS.

No... no it isn't.

I have the Blu-ray of AoU, and enjoy it. It'll be a struggle to watch BvS after MoS.

A two-sentence comment that fits on one line?

thud-faint-smiley-emoticon.gif

So what happens to the 'dark' when there's no 'light' for a counter-balance? In this story it gets darker, downright ugly, desperate and twisted. Took twenty years. Not pretty. Then he shows up. Superman. And they write "a puff-piece editorial every time he pulls a cat out of a tree." Don't they realize he could be a world-killer? Batman does.

But, by the end, the writers get us to a place most Batman/Superman stories begin. Batman inspired by Superman. Superman raised the bar. A twisting-turning path leading to "World's Finest" familiar terrain.

Chapter one. Very clever. Now let's see where it goes. Can't wait. Justice League.

I hope you are right. However, being a fan of LOST I have bitterly learned that the payoff we think is coming may not come.

:wishluck:

It's better than BVS.

No... no it isn't.

I have the Blu-ray of AoU, and enjoy it. It'll be a struggle to watch BvS after MoS.

A two-sentence comment that fits on one line?

thud-faint-smiley-emoticon.gif

MoS & BvS: The equivalent of two life sentences. It takes a lot of conviction. (:

It is definitely an Elseworld storyline. And I love your summary of the story, in that it leads to a Superman-Batman World's Finest place.

:applause:

It's better than BVS.

No... no it isn't.

I have the Blu-ray of AoU, and enjoy it.

Hey if you enjoy wasting both your time and money.... :whistle: