• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fakers on ebay

288 posts in this topic

Wow he sells fakes and he bought a fake. Or the same dude got a return and has 2 accounts.

Any thoughts on this? They aren't claiming a blessed thing. No provenance whatsoever.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272287520401?afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

This ebay image has some line work that is not consistent with the original 1972 #220 cover.

Did Kubert ever do lightbox recreations of his older covers?

(might be rough to do on flaxon cold press illustration board?)

Edited by MyComicBookArt

Any thoughts on this? They aren't claiming a blessed thing. No provenance whatsoever.

This ebay image has some line work that is not consistent with the original 1972 #220 cover.

The cold press illo board and the fact its unsigned (Joe signed pretty well everything as I recall!) mean I wouldn't touch it, personally.

I'd guess its some sort of student work from someone that attended the Kubert school, perhaps? It looks like it has age so I don't think its something done yesterday as a fake but rather someone practicing their own art by looking at Joe's.

The cold press illo board and the fact its unsigned (Joe signed pretty well everything as I recall!) mean I wouldn't touch it, personally.

I'd guess its some sort of student work from someone that attended the Kubert school, perhaps? It looks like it has age so I don't think its something done yesterday as a fake but rather someone practicing their own art by looking at Joe's.

A cursory Google search indicates Flaxon illustration board may not be readily available unless it's new old stock.

Even if you can't lightbox an image onto illustration board, you could always use a projector.

The blacks look very flat. Also, lines and figures on the left/right borders appear to be cropped way too evenly. Also, the bottom edge seems to folded over just a little bit. This may be a print that's mounted to the board.

Just speculation.